↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 258 of 265 <123 ... 257258259 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
People on phones whilst pushing trolleys in supermarkets..... Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #795185 26th Sep 2019 12:23pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #795186 26th Sep 2019 12:30pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
People on phones at the checkout in shops Rolling Eyes
Post #795187 26th Sep 2019 12:30pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Re: Re-cycling Attempt - Welshpool Powys
ARC99 wrote:
shropshiredefender wrote:
To the recycling centre this morning with a bag full of assorted electronic gizmos.

Jobsworth on the gate (with his "I'm very important" yellow jacket) stops me and says that I need a permit to enter the site in a Land Rover.

W.T.F. "Just a few bits of old electronic stuff to get recycled surely that's not a problem?"

"Don't matter what it is you're bringing here if it's in a Land Rover you need a permit."

https://en.powys.gov.uk/cvt even applies to Series Vehicles Exclamation Exclamation

What a stupid attitude from Powys Council (who bombard us with incomprehensible leaflets telling us exactly what grade of plastic we can put in our recycling bin)- UNBELIEVABLE Shocked

We did have the same problem with the local recycling centre when it was run by S.I.T.A. on behalf of 3 local councils, they needed a list of everything that you intended to take and you could only have 4 permits per year. The site is now run by a different company who although the Council still requires Land Rover Defender owners to have permits do not need them.

Exactly the same round here, very annoying!

I have sometimes toyed with the idea of parking round the corner and then taking the rubbish into the skip on foot pushing a wheelbarrow. I expect that they'd tell me I need a permit for a barrow, although when you think about it taking running to the tip in a barrow is greener than taking it by car.
Post #795199 26th Sep 2019 1:07pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
the eco terrorist group extinction rebellion is on the loose again,

this is the third confrontation I've had...

I found that getting them to explain how i am supposed to get from Western Essex to Rural Berkshire without using a car was not a good idea despite it being a valid question.

Its a
30 minute drive to my nearest station.
1 hour tube
20 Minute walk
1 Hour Train
30 minute cab ride using public transport

And this costs me about £70 dor public transport

3 hours 20 minutes to get to work, longer in reverse, that and do i really want to carry a load of heavy PPE

Or its 2 hour drive round the m25 usually averaging only 45MPH and maybe £30 fuel

I feel that most of these extinction rebellion are not common people with common problems. I'm interested in how many times they've flown on holiday in the past year and how many cars they've owned over their entire life... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #797322 8th Oct 2019 8:36pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
They don’t even work so certainly not normal people, usually middle class or gypsies and or drug fanatics with a general lack of morals are usually the bench mark. Personally I don’t think they are even worth discussing really.

Won’t be long before we’ll be verbally or physically attacked for being who we are at thecrate of what they are allowed to get away with. I think they should be a banned group, causing public disturbance. We would be if we tried anything with our Defenders... Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #797325 8th Oct 2019 8:43pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/20...s-pms-jibe

A few of those arrested the other day were in the 80's and loads over 65. If they were "drug fanatics" then fair play to them.
Post #797327 8th Oct 2019 8:56pm
blackwolf

The Beeb interviewed one of them the other day who freely admitted she drove a diesel van!

They are going to be so peed off when they find that the next mass extinction is going to be caused by an asteroid and all the protesting in the world won't make any difference! Rolling with laughter
Post #797363 9th Oct 2019 8:48am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I heard the same interview, blackwolf.

When the interviewer pressed her on her choice of Diesel vehicle she exclaimed that she was hard up and didn't have the money to buy a different more environmentally friendly vehicle.

Isn't that the issue here? Money? There are so many things we could do to improve to help the environment but they all cost money and most of us haven't got unlimited amounts.

Anyway, they say we are all going to die. The removal of the human race may well be the best thing that will ever happen to the earth and its environment
Post #797368 9th Oct 2019 9:18am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Rashers the ULEZ strikes again.

Can’t say I agree black wolf, were already looking at a massive slash in biodiversity in the Amazon, Great Barrier Reef, and to a lesser extent other biomes.

Historically climate change has been a natural process through anomaly’s.

Problem is human activity is furthering the natural change and accelerating the process to a point where a natural recovery Is becoming more and more difficult.

Admittedly the ban on HFCs and CFC aerosols early on has resulted in a remarkable repair to the ozone layer within a lifetime, but the chapman process is allows for self repair of ozone under UV radiation. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #797373 9th Oct 2019 9:45am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
It's fairly pointless protesting about the climate in the UK. We're already bending over backwards to try to change it (although the sun probably doesn't give a toss what we're doing - it will keep on sending out its solar flares
regardless....) so they're preaching to the converted.

They should go and do it in Bejing instead. I'm sure they'd be well received there.

In fact, when was the last time a mass protest achieved anything of consequence over here? It must be ages ago, if ever.
Post #797375 9th Oct 2019 10:22am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
The UK produces 2% of global emissions .
So even if we all went back to mud huts it would make not a jot of difference to the outcome for the world.
One volcanic eruption somewhere in the world will produce more emissions and do more damage.
Not saying we shouldn't be responsible, but lets put things in perspective and act accordingly.
Post #797379 9th Oct 2019 10:58am
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
Quote:
The UK produces 2% of global emissions.

Yes but you have to think of the bigger picture, where do a lot of our products and produce come from, not the UK...

I'm also sure the majority of protesters were using their Chinese made mobile phones and wearing clothes from India etc Rolling Eyes https://www.facebook.com/duckworthparts

Send a paypal payment direct using this link www.paypal.me/duckworthparts

www.duckworthparts.co.uk
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: danroberts@duckworthlandrover.co.uk
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Can also supply OEM & Aftermarket parts

Post #797381 9th Oct 2019 11:14am
blackwolf

Oslo, I am not say that the human race won't manage a mass extinction before the asteroid gets here, I was just reflecting on the frustration that these folk would feel if something completely outside anyone's control came along.

Personally I feel that the unrestrained proliferation of humans is the greatest threat that the planet faces, and I don't really take any of the "save the world" types seriously unless they at least acknowledge that this is an issue that needs to be discussed. Banning IC engines, plastic bags, making us drive electric vehicles of questionable sustainability, and so on, is totally and utterly pointless as long the world population continues to expand at the rate that it is. We devote billions to keep people alive far longer than nature intended, we devote billions to ensure that people nature didn't intend to survive and procreate do survive and procreate, yet we deny completely that to balance this requires restraint.

I (sadly) believe that the human race has shown repeatedly that it is wholly incapable of adapting enough to live in a sustainable manner, ultimately tribalism is fundamental to humans and in the end we'll go back to killing everyone else in order to survive. If you have a choice between letting your family starve or killing your neighbours to steal their food and feed your family, which choice would you make?

I am quite glad that I won't be around when it all really breaks down, but in the meantime we may as well make a start on the process by using diesel fumes......
Post #797382 9th Oct 2019 11:25am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #797386 9th Oct 2019 11:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 258 of 265 <123 ... 257258259 ... 263264265>