↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 256 of 265 <123 ... 255256257 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Roads are for everyone, would be nice if all road users paid a tax, cyclists don’t yet they can use the roads just seems unfair to me. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #780672 8th Jul 2019 7:31pm
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
So the fact that I choose to leave my car on the drive and cycle to work should cost me even more?

What a lot of motorists forget is most cyclists are motorists too!
Post #780674 8th Jul 2019 7:35pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The only cyclists with whom I lose patience are the ones (many, it seems, round here) who forget that they also share the roads with other legitimate users and that fact that they are hideously dressed in a ridiculous lycra outfit does not mean that they take precedence over other forms of transport.

If they showed the same level of co-operation as they demand from vehicle drivers then the world would be a happer place.

I don't know if it is true but I was once told that a Defender containing seven cyclists produces fewer harmful emissions than seven bicycles ridden by seven cyclists. It sounds improbable but it an interesting thought.
Post #780688 8th Jul 2019 8:19pm
kaney

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Cyclists would use the cycle lanes but from my experiances
lanes full of grit and glass left by rd sweepers not picking up proper
Grids half the width of the lane
And yes pot holes they have them too not just for cars outside the lanes
And cars they park them in them at traffic lights just so the cyclist can't cut through on the inside in their cycle lane so the driver can snigger to themself but then get upset as the cyclist go's around the outside of them.
I also have issues with cyclists mainly at weekends when in groups riding two or three abreast and if i was riding with them i would ask them not to but most are responsible and don't but only when the rd is wide enough if they do.
Rant over
Post #780689 8th Jul 2019 8:20pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
cyclists should have road insurance, they use the road and there risks like all road users do and sometimes pedal bikes cause accidents. In truth I cannot understand why it is not compulsory to have at least third party insurance I also think all pedal bikes should have a number plate, so reckless cyclist can be traced. Any bike riders who disagree, then why, if you follow the high way code you should have nothing to fear and if you are involved in accident you are insured.. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #780747 9th Jul 2019 12:44am
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Motorists - they take up the whole lane, pollute the air we breath and stop us cyclists getting to where we want to go, I'd ban then all.

Sounds stupid doesn't it - think about it just for a few minutes. Oh sorry I forgot many motorists just can not think straight when they see cyclists, a dull mist of stupidity comes over them and they pass with inches to spare, cross white lines to overtake them, overtake then turn left across their path. The average delay when passion a cyclist (or a group of 10 cyclists) is less than a hundredth of the time spent wittering and whining about them.

All motorist should be forced to take a group of primary school children on a short bike ride to fully understand the depth of stupidity and violence (yes violence - you are driving a lethal weapon) demonstrated by a far too large a proportion of the motorists of the UK.

Hold back, wait a few seconds, take a chill pill and then drive on when safe to pass. 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #780748 9th Jul 2019 1:25am
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Live and let live I agree but how in this day and age is it possible to allow cycle races on open public roads?
It's not just the cyclists but the support vehicles as well. I'm not talking about major televised events but Sunday club events which attract large numbers of entrants. Race by all means but play by the same rules as everyone else I say. I bet if 100 moped riders decided to race through villages and country roads at probably the same speeds it would not be accepted even though the have tax and insurance. Neutral 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2

Last edited by seriesonenut on 9th Jul 2019 9:10pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #780750 9th Jul 2019 5:47am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I've never understood why folks get so worked up about cyclists. With just a little common sense and roadcraft it's easy enough to safely navigate around even the most erratic pedal pusher. It seems to me there are far bigger hazards on our roads. Old people, pot holes, tractors, uninsured drivers, parents illegally stopping outside schools and taxis are far worse offenders and a lot more dangerous, IMO.
Post #780758 9th Jul 2019 7:12am
Slideywindows

England 
Old people do not choose to be old. It isn't a recreational choice - as you will all find out sooner than you think. Whistle

And tractors are not on the roads for the recreation of their drivers.

So we might decide to show a little sympathy for both.

However, if you are unfortunate enough to live in an area where cycling Clubs choose to hold events on public roads, and clog up those roads with cyclists who couldn't give a monkeys for other road users, any sympathy for those cyclists will soon evaporate.

And that loss of sympathy will manifest itself in the way that motorists react to those endless groups of cyclists, slowing down everyone else - often for mile after mile.

Demanding that everyone else change their attitude, whilst cyclists carry on regardless, is simply not going to work.

(However, those who cycle singly and as a mode of transport to get from A to B, retain my sympathy - as long as their road manners are up to the standard they expect of others).

My conclusion:

If you want to tear up and damage the countryside with your 4X4, go to a dedicated Pay & Play site, not a public road (eg. a green lane).

If you want to cycle around in large groups and pursue your recreation on your own terms, then do it on private land, not on public roads.

Don't expect public opinion to change to suit you.
Post #780788 9th Jul 2019 11:32am
nosnibod

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
My partner and I are cyclists. She and I use the Defender to carry the tandem and tow the caravan wherever we fancy.

I don’t care what other road users use the roads for - whether that is recreational use or for work. I just treat them with respect no matter whether I’m piloting the tandem or driving the Defender. I do not judge other people for their choice of transport or for the reasons they chose it.

Those people are just human beings - mothers, fathers, sons and daughters going about their lives in whatever way they see fit.

So what if users of more dangerous vehicles are delayed for a few seconds and have to take care to protect more vulnerable road users?

Is it that important? Really?

If you think it is, then perhaps the problem isn’t other road users after all. Dave
Gracie - 2015 110 XS County Station Wagon
Post #780794 9th Jul 2019 12:01pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Slideywindows - Couldn't have put it better myself.
Post #780797 9th Jul 2019 12:03pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
I think the problem isn’t cyclists, it’s ar**holes on bikes. I’ve cycled for 35 years, as a Lycra clad, road bike, enthusiast. I have cycled all over the world, recreationally, for fitness and in competition. I have always been courteous of other road users (vehicle or pedestrian) whilst cycling, just as I am when driving. You will not get me clogging up the lane (and I always stick out a thumb for anyone patient enough to wait before they overtake on a long 7% hill with blind corners as is common place here in the Alps), I do not ride on the pavements, I do not jump red lights, etc etc. And this is despite having been knocked off many times by cars and pedestrians, once deliberately. Yup, I was deliberately knocked off by a BMW driver whilst doing 30kmh. So I (as many others here) can see it from the driver’s and cyclist’s point of view. Nearly ALL motorists who moan about cycling do so with two things in common. First, they don’t cycle (bar maybe to get a pint of milk) so have no appreciation of the vulnerability of a cyclist on modern, crowded, fast, aggressive and badly maintained roads. One (fifty quid to repair) dink on a car can, literally, be a dead cyclist. The second is confusing cyclists with ars**les cycling. They are not one and the same. I will hold my hand up and say that post 2012 when the country went cycling mad, so did the numbers of AHs riding bikes. Laws of averages. Multiply the number of cyclists by 10 and you will do the same for the numbers of AHs who are riding, ergo you will come across more. But they are still in the minority and are not ‘cyclists’ in the truest sense. Additionally, I think we can all agree that general levels of ill manners, selfishness, agression, abuse, rudeness, lack of empathy etc has gone up in the last decade or so, and in the world of cycling it’s no less different. But you are as likely to find the abusive, holier-than-though, road hogging Lycra clad cyclist crushing around Surrey in an Audi on the M4 tailgating you, shouting from behind you to speed up during your relaxed round of golf, clogging up pavements with an oversized pram (or alternatively moaning they can’t get past a pram on a pavement when they’re out running), pushing in at queues in airports, jumping the order in a pub, etc etc. We all know the sort. Mainly men, mainly of a certain age, all AHs and there for all to see and experience in all walks of life. Cyclists and AHs on bikes are not one and the same....please remember that next time you pass me going up the Colombiere and I stick my thumb out to thank you for your patience. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #780802 9th Jul 2019 12:29pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
I don’t mind cyclists so long as they stick to the straighter roads where it’s easy to overtake.

Worse are horse riders where I live. There are bridle ways all over the place but they tend to use single carriageways with national speed limit with blind corners.

I got into an argument with three people who were riding three abreast and on the trot on one of these roads. They caused a back up of maybe 50 or so cars. And refused to turn off into an island junction and when an ambulance had to overtake still stayed three abreast. So all the other cars proceeded to follow but when it became my turn to overtake they blocked the whole road and proceeded to a stop just to berate me and everyone behind.

Even this weekend I was blocked by a convoy of shelta cart riding idiots.

Mind you I’ve been hit twice by cyclists jumping red lights. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #780804 9th Jul 2019 12:41pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Yes ,I was broadsided by a cyclist jumping a red light. Shame was he broke his arm and not his neck.
Had the gall to ask to borrow my mobile phone and then became abusive when he failed to understand that I did not own one.
Nasty piece of work. Evil or Very Mad 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #780805 9th Jul 2019 12:51pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Grenadier wrote:
I think the problem isn’t cyclists, it’s ar**holes on bikes. ....

I think that the problem is actually ar**holes, whatever form of transport they choose.

There are ar**holes who ride bikes in a way which give all cyclists a bad name, there are ar**holes who drive cars (and other motor vehicles) who give all drivers a bad name, and there are ar**holes who ride horses and give all riders a bad names. I have even met ar**hole pedestrians who give pedestrians a bad name!
Post #780820 9th Jul 2019 2:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 256 of 265 <123 ... 255256257 ... 263264265>