↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 249 of 265 <123 ... 248249250 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
/\ not who you'd call 'do gooders', this list isn't definitive. more than happy to add to the list Laughing
Post #742974 29th Nov 2018 4:55pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
A good example of what Caterham may be referring to as a 'do-gooder' (a lawyer) on Jeremy Vine this morning, on the scooter criminal versus police debate - around 12.15pm.
Post #743157 30th Nov 2018 1:57pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
^

Ambush and sting them I say.

There are laws meant to protect innocent people, but why are there laws to protect the guilty?

Bunch on ambulance chasing blood suckers... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #743162 30th Nov 2018 2:33pm
Caterham

I'm tempted to see if it's on utube or similar but I just know it's going to have an adverse effect on my blood pressure.
Post #743163 30th Nov 2018 2:34pm
Caterham

talking of ambulances.....they probably don't pay taxes so if they get hurt should they be entitled to any medical aid? Evil or Very Mad
Post #743164 30th Nov 2018 2:36pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Slideywindows wrote:

When the Labour Party appoints Diane Abbott as Shadow Home Secretary, you have to suspect it is just a little short of talent!

Well the leader of Her Majesty's opposition did not want to debate with the UK PM on BBC because the questions would becoming from a panel and because it clashed with the final of I'm a non entity on ITV.

Now what is more important a non reality TV show about non entities or a TV debate about one of the biggest decisions the UK is about to make in decades?

Brendan
Post #743165 30th Nov 2018 2:39pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
My thinking is that the word 'opposition' means the people who sit opposte the goverment not the people who must oppose the government....?
...or am I wrong? 
Post #743170 30th Nov 2018 2:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Caterham wrote:
I'm tempted to see if it's on utube or similar but I just know it's going to have an adverse effect on my blood pressure.

It's available on the BBC radio iPlayer (or 'Sounds' as it's now known) - Radio 2, this morning's show, from 12.09pm.
And yes, I'm sure it will - enjoy!
Post #743195 30th Nov 2018 3:58pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
leeds wrote:
Slideywindows wrote:

When the Labour Party appoints Diane Abbott as Shadow Home Secretary, you have to suspect it is just a little short of talent!

Well the leader of Her Majesty's opposition did not want to debate with the UK PM on BBC because the questions would becoming from a panel and because it clashed with the final of I'm a non entity on ITV.

Now what is more important a non reality TV show about non entities or a TV debate about one of the biggest decisions the UK is about to make in decades?

Brendan

Read quite a good headline earlier:

May v Corbyn – the one Sunday night TV show where you won’t get a vote

Personally I hope it's on ITV. That channel is full of talentless idiots so they'll both fit in nicely.

Also that way I won't miss Doctor Who.
Post #743292 30th Nov 2018 10:19pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Ads90 wrote:
A good example of what Caterham may be referring to as a 'do-gooder' (a lawyer) on Jeremy Vine this morning, on the scooter criminal versus police debate - around 12.15pm.

I've just come across this statement from our PM when asked about the police tactic, which I thought interesting:

Quote:
These people on these mopeds are acting unlawfully and committing crimes and I think it's absolutely right that we see a robust police response to that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46416134 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #743504 2nd Dec 2018 9:47am
Slideywindows

England 
People rioting on the streets of Paris.

Tunbridge Wells next? Whistle
Post #743643 3rd Dec 2018 12:05am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Zed wrote:
OK gotcha. So it's government, judges, CPS, legal system, laws etc. Not what I'd consider do gooders but now I know where you are coming from.

Oh don't get me started on the CPS.

In times gone by we had the Police that would catch the law breakers and then either put them before a court prosecuted by the Police or caution them by letter or if teenager, accompanied by a parent, by means of a verbal warning given be the most grumpy bad tempered Inspector at the nick. Those that went to court had Magistrates or a Jury decide the guilt.

Now in the mid 1970's it was felt unfair to have the Police investigate and prosecute a much fairer way was to have an independent prosecutor namely the CPS ( Crown Prosecution Service) who would make the decisions, this would free up Police officers who would spend time reading and understanding the case they would be dealing with the next day.

The CPS as it turns out had a senior Solicitor and the rest of the staff ended up being very new out of the box solicitors who at 9.45 am hadn't a clue about the cases for that morning and a lot of hard work would get thrown of court. The CPS would not take any responsibility for their actions instead blaming the Police. Then we come to the point that every file would be read and a member of staff would decide what the chances of a guilty verdict would be , if its wasn't guaranteed then no further action would be taken. Now we have a situation were Officers have to contact a representative of the CPS , which can be anywhere in the country, to decide what action is to be taken at the point of arrest.

The CPS have now become Judge and Jury before a case is put before a court.

WOW that feels better Rant over. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #743694 3rd Dec 2018 11:42am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
In regard to the cos I was talking to a guy who spend 30 years in the met.

He said back in the 80s the average policeman would do 80% actual police work, the rest was admin, turning up in court etc.

He said these days the average copper was lucky to spend:
20% police work for beat walkers and patrol cars
60% for traffic cops
80% for Detectives and organised crimes (but more office based)

He said for beat cops the majority of their time is spent writing up petty crimes, where 30 years ago it would just be a night in cell with no charge and they would likely learn their lesson , but these days if they cell them for the night the CPS needs to prosecute, otherwise they’re liable so have to fulfil comprehensive reports that the CPS will charge them for, but most likely take a plea bargain, and settle for community service/tag/probation. And for this reason crime has increased.

The CPS was made to make the police more efficient by allowing them more time on the ground, but because lawyers and solicitors don’t want a quick trial/hearing they drag it out. Making the police less effective.

What this country needs is a simplified legal code, that speaks clear and plain English, that doesn’t require a solicitor, lawyer and some idiot who speaks three dead languages to understand. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #743698 3rd Dec 2018 12:36pm
Brucey

Poland 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Auto Java Black
I am saying it a bit 'toungue in cheek', but maybe Sharia Law is not such a bad thing if you look at the views above! Smile Defender 110 DC converted Auto
BMW R1200GS
BMW F650GS Dakar
Post #743716 3rd Dec 2018 2:22pm
Slideywindows

England 
OsloBlue wrote:
solicitors don’t want a quick trial/hearing they drag it out.

Now Oslo, you really have trod on a sore point!

Ten months in and my wife's divorce solicitor is still mining fees whilst trying to squeeze every possible penny out of me.

We could have settled it last May, if the lawyer hadn't got involved. Evil or Very Mad

It's "barristers at dawn" next Wednesday...... Shocked
Post #743775 3rd Dec 2018 6:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 249 of 265 <123 ... 248249250 ... 263264265>