↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 246 of 265 <123 ... 245246247 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
Slideywindows

England 
I have no idea what you military types are talking about, but I would probably agree if I did. Laughing

It's this kind of thing that makes me grumpy:

Zed wrote:

Isn't that the truth about political correctness though?

Folks whinge about it all the time but in truth we have free speech in this country and nobody can stop you expressing yourself. The exceptions are slander and hate laws but most would agree they are a good thing.

The first part is contradictory: No-one can stop you expressing yourself, er, except.....

The slander laws are useful for the wealthy and powerful, to shut other people up. Never been much use to the common man.

"Hate" laws are also useful to shut people up. Similar laws, but with different names, were used in other colonised countries to keep dissent down and gag the unwashed.

Then there is the condescending "most would agree". Always a good way to pre-load a debate before it begins!

Clearly, if you are not "most people" there must be something wrong with you - you should feel an outcast and an intellectual pygmy. So shut up and stay silent.

You simply cannot have free speech, unless you have free thought.

If you remember nothing else, remember this:

A parrot has free speech.

But it will always remain a parrot......
Post #738824 5th Nov 2018 7:18pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Quote:

Isn't that the truth about political correctness though?

Folks whinge about it all the time but in truth we have free speech in this country and nobody can stop you expressing yourself. The exceptions are slander and hate laws but most would agree they are a good thing.

When people moan about being forced to be PC or 'political correctness gone mad' what they are really saying is they wish to cross the boundary of decency or good manners. The truth is that if a person wishes to say something offensive then they are free to do so and nobody can censor them. However others may choose to use their right of free speech to pull them up or counter the argument. That's not political correctness, that's just how free speech works.

Quote:

The first part is contradictory: No-one can stop you expressing yourself, er, except.....

The slander laws are useful for the wealthy and powerful, to shut other people up. Never been much use to the common man.

"Hate" laws are also useful to shut people up. Similar laws, but with different names, were used in other colonised countries to keep dissent down and gag the unwashed.

Then there is the condescending "most would agree". Always a good way to pre-load a debate before it begins!

Clearly, if you are not "most people" there must be something wrong with you - you should feel an outcast and an intellectual pygmy. So shut up and stay silent.

You simply cannot have free speech, unless you have free thought.

If you remember nothing else, remember this:

A parrot has free speech.

But it will always remain a parrot......

Slidey,
Playing the victim doesn't suit you. You're obviously a bright chap. I'm sure you're capable of expressing your thoughts without falling foul of our hate laws.
Nobody will try to shut you up. I’d never dream of it even though we may have very different views. In fact, if you're ever in my neck of the woods I'd happily buy you a beer. Just don't expect me to always agree with you.
Post #738910 5th Nov 2018 11:07pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Zed, i wish most people had that decency these days, I really wish i could sit and explain to them my thoughts and feelings with people rather than being drowned out by the noise and allegations of fascism and racism just because of how i voted in an referendum. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #738965 6th Nov 2018 9:35am
OsloBlue

Winge of the week:
The day that up across here in Chelmsford I park up and get in at about 07:00 just to get a space.

I don’t like to spend my lunch at work, so I go sit in the car, as Ian doing now.

Every damn day this one guy gets in at 11:30 and he spends ages driving round the same car park trying to get a space.
5,10,15,20,25 mins so far today. Surely he’d be better off by the exit waiting for someone to leave. (The last space goes at about 08:45)

He’s not the only one though, I’ve counted 39 people come in so far. Come in and cruise up and down looking for non existent spots. I get so many people ask me if I’m going in to leave I duck down and hide. Once a guy even started honking and got all mad at me waiting for me to move. Same guy also got tried to get into a fistfight with a quite tasty woman in an Audi A7 for a free parking space.

Why don’t people ever learn? I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #739003 6th Nov 2018 1:01pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
OsloBlue, This Guy who keeps driving round the car park, he's not winking at you or looking a bit suspicious? Just asking?

When my Granddad was alive, he used to go out with some friends who would never pay for car parking. They would drive round and round trying to find a free car parking space, sometimes for an hour or so. Never mind burning the petrol up and then having to run round like a headless chicken because they only had 30/60/90 minutes before the traffic warden comes knockin'

Just as well they have all passed on. No such thing as a free car parking space now where I live. Everything meter controlled.
Post #739005 6th Nov 2018 1:14pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Fireworks do my head in and I was thinking how many people that let rockets off go and pick them up, so in my book that’s littering and an £80 fine Thumbs Up
Rockets would come very expensive if I had owt to do with it.
Post #739026 6th Nov 2018 5:47pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
One of those organised fireworks displays in the village last night and this morning noticed a couple of spent rockets at the back of the cottage today and one on the roof. Just glad I do not have a thatched roof. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #739041 6th Nov 2018 7:00pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
😳😳😳
Post #739054 6th Nov 2018 7:48pm
OsloBlue

No, just circled round and round for a good 50 mins. Turns out I work with him.

Speaking of fireworks a massive firework went off above me, I jumped and rolled under my car! :/

Kids started screaming and crying about bombs and terrorism. Makes me wonder what kind of world we live in that when they hear fireworks go off they think bombs I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Post #739146 7th Nov 2018 7:52am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I have no Children, but friends and relations Kids over the years have mostly hated Fireworks. In fact one of my friends daughters would only watch fireworks from inside as she disliked the noise.

Snowflakes!!! Push the kids outside, let their ears hurt! Kids barely older than them fought in the War!
Post #739171 7th Nov 2018 11:56am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I was on my way out to walk the dogs and saw a couple of Severn trent vehicles had parked out the front so went to investigate. 'There's a leak, a big one, about 7000L an hour, and we've put a listening device on the main so we know it is around here somewhere'. The length of mains they were talking about ran about 600m through the fields alongside the road, so I wandered up the lane, found it in under 5 minutes, put a fence post in the hole to mark it and wandered back. I get that they use the listening device to find leaks, but what happened to a bit of leg work and mk1 eyeball?!! He was a really nice chap and very grateful for finding the leak, and a bit embarassed about it. He said they would have walked the fields eventually! Smile

I wonder, does a thermal imaging camera differentiate water from land? Could a drone be used to follow the line of main and spot the leaks, or does this happen already? There must be a smarter way to do it.
Post #739197 7th Nov 2018 3:37pm
OsloBlue

I would like to thank all the censored censored censored lazy censored tube drivers yesterday for making my life hell and spending 7 hours on public transport through 64 stations, doubling my train fare and journey time.

I can’t wait until you’re replaced by robots. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Post #739303 8th Nov 2018 9:17am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Didn’t the mayor promise no strikes, and wasn’t yesterday number 15?
Post #739306 8th Nov 2018 9:23am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
OsloBlue wrote:
No, just circled round and round for a good 50 mins. Turns out I work with him.

Speaking of fireworks a massive firework went off above me, I jumped and rolled under my car! :/

Kids started screaming and crying about bombs and terrorism. Makes me wonder what kind of world we live in that when they hear fireworks go off they think bombs

After I returned from Iraq (where I was stationed in Baghdad during the Shia uprising and heard large car-bombs, suicide bombers and improvised mortar launches daily) Oct/Nov always made me think of the attacks. Fortunately nothing more serious than 'reflection', but for a number of years they were never merely 'fireworks'. Shocked Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #739506 9th Nov 2018 2:13pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Huttopia wrote:
I wonder, does a thermal imaging camera differentiate water from land? Could a drone be used to follow the line of main and spot the leaks, or does this happen already? There must be a smarter way to do it.

You'd think so. Indeed, same could be said of High Power lines, as I remember watching a documentary some years ago and during a line inspection they'd fly the entire length by helo. Fun I suppose, but the cost must have been eye-watering Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #739507 9th Nov 2018 2:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 246 of 265 <123 ... 245246247 ... 263264265>