↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Grumpy Old Man Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 245 of 265 <123 ... 244245246 ... 263264265>
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I’ve done about 600 miles in a new Disco Sport over the last few days, mix of motorway and Cornwall driving. It’s a 2.0 diesel lump with a manual 6spd gearbox. It returned 37mpg. The only thing sporty is the badge. The gearbox was horrible. The radio was audible despite being turned off.

On the plus side, the seats were comfortable, the HEVAC all worked well and the controls on the steering wheel are well thought out. Sat nav screen touch was a bit clunky but perhaps it can be changed in settings - I did manage to get rid of the blasted beeping every time you touched the screen.

All in all a really unremarkable vehicle, crushingly dull to drive, no zip, no feedback and the fit and finish felt below a VW. I can’t think of any reason to buy one over a Tiguan (my olds have just bought an R spec Tiguan and it’s a lovely place to be).

I’m sure JLR can do much better.
Post #738472 3rd Nov 2018 9:56pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Personally I think it is down to lack of respect for other road users, lack of roadcraft, lack of knowledge of highway code and people believing they are VIP . (read very important pigs and it is difficult to educate pork!)

How many times do you see comments about horse riders should keep to the fields and that cyclists should pay tax. How many of those horse riders/cyclists pay income tax and RFT/fuel tax on their other forms of transport?

Approaching red traffic lights or roundabout how many cars shoot up to them at high speed passing other traffic then brake hard often coming to a full stop whilst the slower moving traffic can just flow through.

Highway code and uphill traffic? Rolling with laughter

Maybe instead of teaching people to pass a driving test, people are taught respect (difficult I know) and how to drive in the real world and not on the test circuit.

Brendan
Post #738473 3rd Nov 2018 10:11pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Rashers wrote:
Poor little fella Crying or Very sad

Sorry to be a misery, but I hate fireworks. I will say that a professional display is spectacular. A few rockets in the back garden is pants in comparison. Why would you bother wasting your money? The sooner the things are banded for sale to the general public the better.

Sorry, but that photo is what makes me feel this way. Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, Nov 5th is just celebrating terrorism, isn't it?

Not quite. It's celebrating King James surviving the plot and burning effigies of Catholics.
Post #738474 3rd Nov 2018 10:24pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
stanley wrote:
It’s just all too peopley out there !
All I’m going to say is ........ bloody fireworks ! .....
A friend of mines gundog !
Been like this for 2 hours . Bless him !

Just an enquiry.
Why would a gundog be frightened of fireworks?
Don't guns go bang? 
Post #738489 4th Nov 2018 1:53am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
No idea Laurie. I have often wondered that too.

I have a Labrador, a natural Gun Dog, but mine was bread as a pet. She’s pretty oblivious to Fireworks. She runs for home when they are let off close by, but nothing to my last Labrador. He was breed as a Gun Dog and literally melted when fireworks were let off. Although we tried, there was no consoling him, he just crawled into what ever small corner he could find and shook. Some dogs are the same with storms.

Thanks for the explanation Zed. Not sure I would shout that too loud. The PC police are not going to like the persecution of Catholics on an annual occasion, are they?
Post #738516 4th Nov 2018 10:38am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation Zed. Not sure I would shout that too loud. The PC police are not going to like the persecution of Catholics on an annual occasion, are they?

Isn't that the truth about political correctness though?

Folks whinge about it all the time but in truth we have free speech in this country and nobody can stop you expressing yourself. The exceptions are slander and hate laws but most would agree they are a good thing.

When people moan about being forced to be PC or 'political correctness gone mad' what they are really saying is they wish to cross the boundary of decency or good manners. The truth is that if a person wishes to say something offensive then they are free to do so and nobody can censor them. However others may choose to use their right of free speech to pull them up or counter the argument. That's not political correctness, that's just how free speech works.
Post #738706 5th Nov 2018 9:01am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
I’ve been sat at a fuel station for 15 mins because of some imbeciles.

Luton box van pulls into the second row of pumps, Volvo XC90 pulls away immediately after. Can’t get past it’s a Luton box.
The station gets real busy now so I pull in right behind him.

A couple of pumps free up but it’s so busy I can’t back up.

God knows how much they put in it but they were there trying to fill it for a whole 4 minutes.

Then they finally fill up and head in to pay, but for some reason the co driver joins in paying, they have little mozy round the garage and pay after about a minute or so.

Then they proceed to walk to the McDonald’s section which has a drive through and order some food. After another 5 minutes they get their food and get back in the Luton . But then the driver gets back out heads back to the station, he then proceeds to pick up two massive tanks of adblu and pays for them.

He then heads back and starts filling up his adblue tank.

Usually I’m a very level headed, reasonable and patient guy. Usually. It’s very rare that I actually loose my temper, but I’ve now been waiting 13 minutes, and cars behind me have gridlocked the station, and the queue is now out of the station and down both ways of the road.

So me and co driver vladas got out and rather I politely asked him to top it up elsewhere.
Then he asks me the back up so he can drop his tailgate to throw the adblu in the back.

Finally got to the pump after 15 minutes I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #738717 5th Nov 2018 10:12am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
^^^ As I mentioned before, the people who don't give a fig about each other, in everyday life, are not only becoming more numerous, but are (in certain areas) becoming the majority (norm). Sadly. Big Cry

Just count yourself lucky you're not in France, they'd never have been served in under 5mins in McDo, that would have been 15mins on it's own Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #738729 5th Nov 2018 11:41am
OsloBlue

Aye that bill, by far the worst are people who are slow pedestrian foot traffic on the tube, all I want to do is get home.

Another bad one are pram users on peak times on tube. Or the Censored that try to force their way on a full train.

Speak of the devils, they’re going on strike AGAIN Wednesday, Censored lazy barstards it’s not like I spend £2k+ annually to pay some Censored who thinks his job is difficult £52,000 Pa while a bus driver who has to deal with traffic and problematic customers makes half as much, but they don’t go on strike do they?

What gives 3000 the right to effectively Censored up a city’s public transport and its population of 8 million? I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #738746 5th Nov 2018 1:30pm
Grenadier

"who thinks his job is difficult £52,000". That's starting salary and for just a 35hr week.

RSM with 20 years service and experience, plus the responsibility for the welfare of his men in barracks, and a BG's manning, welfare and logistics etc on Ops, £45k flat rate.

Advanced Registered nurse with 20yrs experience, plus the responsibility for patient welfare in a hospital, plus management of the nursing staff, £40k+ bonuses.

The difference between these two pillars of the British working community and the train/tube driver? They don't strike during the Christmas holidays with the sole aim of p***ing off the electorate and thereby forcing successive goverments of all colours to kow-tow to their demands. I lived in London for 35years and apart from when I was first allowed to use them unaccompanied (and rampage around London with a Travel Card to Carnaby Street, Ken Market and Camden Market Thumbs Up ), Tube services, their work ethic and attitudes are nothing less than a misery. Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #738748 5th Nov 2018 1:59pm
OsloBlue

Aye again,

Don’t start me on RSM! or CSM either! Can only imagine they’re worse in the guards...

Mind you I think the armies gone to pot, knew a slime green 25 year in s/sgt who was whacked by 20-20, knew a para who was out and ended up in the marines, another para who went into the navy because they wouldn’t let him transfer to REME, and another slime green, who got a 2 year suspension on his commission so also went to the navy, and lastly another para who went into the rock apes (what possessed him I have no clue).

Mind you the 25 year in took out his pension and set up a lucrative PMC business that subcontracts under aegis and IIL I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Post #738768 5th Nov 2018 3:23pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
So far today we've had 2 spam calls and 7 calls with no-one on the other end.
... and it's only 2:30! 
Post #738770 5th Nov 2018 3:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grenadier

OsloBlue wrote:
Aye again,

Don’t start me on RSM! or CSM either! Can only imagine they’re worse in the guards...

Mind you I think the armies gone to pot, knew a slime green 25 year in s/sgt who was whacked by 20-20, knew a para who was out and ended up in the marines, another para who went into the navy because they wouldn’t let him transfer to REME, and another slime green, who got a 2 year suspension on his commission so also went to the navy, and lastly another para who went into the rock apes (what possessed him I have no clue).

Mind you the 25 year in took out his pension and set up a lucrative PMC business that subcontracts under aegis and IIL

Most of what you said I can sympathise with, but Rock Apes? Why oh why? As I have told many maroon mates, they're not the brightest bunch Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #738777 5th Nov 2018 3:57pm
Grenadier

Big Brother
Had this thread started 18 years ago, I'm sure I would have said 'Big Brother'. Sadly there is no (to my knowledge) 'Happy Man Thread'. As such, I'm sort of making a retrospectively grumpy, now happy, post... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #738780 5th Nov 2018 4:05pm
OsloBlue

No idea, if I were joining up today I would probably go RN as much as I hate boats and open water, I would still take that, a decent civilian career post service since The army is bad as a whole these days, and the RAF whilst more technical than the army is just... never mind... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Post #738788 5th Nov 2018 4:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 245 of 265 <123 ... 244245246 ... 263264265>