↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 2012 Front Axle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 15 <123 456 ... 131415>
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
Pity the front axle does not interfere with the vehicle's emissions. If it did they'd have issued a recall and changed it.
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic68532.html
Seems that they will be putting new tyres on the Range Rover Evoque models. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #783429 27th Jul 2019 4:13pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Sorry.. an old thread, do not want to hijack, but does anyone knows what are the spec limits for Camber of a Defender axle? 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #836738 12th Jun 2020 11:19am
Payney1000

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Well the accident happened
Well I check the casings regular. Just checked 4 weeks ago before Mot and all looked good. But tonight the worse possible thing happened. Casing broke at 60 miles a hour lost steering and crashed in a ditch. Luckily no one was hurt. My truck is a 2012 and clearly the faulty casing was still being used. The insurance company have removed the car but I will now be taken legal action on LRJ as clearly there is a big safety problem with the casing. Please check your casing it was a bit of a arse squeezing moment 😊😊
Post #942772 17th Feb 2022 12:17am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Sorry to hear that, but good no one was hurt.
You may want to read this thread as well so you have more information : https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic33029.html

I have a 2012 Defender, albeit it a 90 shape and size, and this is always at the back of my mind. I have only a couple of weeks ago sourced a 300tdi Discovery axle case, which I hope is a direct fit. I just need to find the time to change the panhard rod brackets to be same as 2002 onwards and then swap the guts over.

Have been told "if it has not failed in 9/10 years, unless you start doing some heavy offroad/towing, why worry!".

The problem I see is that you never know when fatigue has reached the level for the weld to fail. I doubt if a visual inspection is enough, although some have been lucky that there was a tell tale sign in the form of an oil leak. Only an axle case replacement will put my mind at rest.

Hope the best for you. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #942780 17th Feb 2022 7:53am
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
So glad to hear that nobody was hurt. This really is an issue that Land Rover have a responsibility to address.
I had the same happen to mine, not quite so dramatically but I noticed it pulling left whilst driving 60mph down an A road, pulled over assuming I had a puncture and very fortunately noticed the split casing.
Have a look at this link from my incident, it clearly shows the axle split.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64190.html

I wrote a letter to Land Rover , their response was pathetic.

We really ought to club together and take it up with Land Rover, there must be at least a dozen members who have had a similar failure and it shouldn’t have to happen to anyone else. It’s only a matter of time before someone gets very seriously hurt or worse. https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #942791 17th Feb 2022 9:41am
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Oh, it’s worth pointing out that unless your defender has a full service history with 100% standard suspension, bushes etc then Land Rover will fob it off and blame it on that. Deniability !

This thread includes the response received from Land Rover https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #942792 17th Feb 2022 9:46am
Payney1000

Well a bit of a result. Landrover was a bit shocked due to my one not being in the re call age group. They are will to work with the insurance company as the insurance company are class it as a dangerous safety issue. Which means here in France it gets reported to the EU. Landrover are going to send a engineer from the re call dept Gaydon to inspect it. It’s all a original so let’s see what happens. I am very keen to take the casing of and have it X-rayed and tested at work. This would be if correct concrete evidence of a failing part.
Post #942799 17th Feb 2022 11:07am
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
thats for sure a great result, keep us informed about progress, and would be interested to see the results of your own investigation with the X-ray machine. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #942800 17th Feb 2022 11:21am
spudfan

Ireland 
You had a lucky escape. Funny how Land Rover seem to be taking your case seriously because of the attitude of the French government in bringing this issue to the attention of the EU. It will be interesting to see if the EU will instruct Land Rover to get proactive about this issue through out the entire EU. My 2011 110 has had the brackets fitted but whether they would be any use in a situation like you found yourself in is open to question. Anyway glad you are OK but no doubt badly shaken and fair play to you in getting Land Rover to at least revisit this issue. I will look forward to future updates regarding your case with the EU and Land Rover. Thumbs Up 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #942813 17th Feb 2022 1:47pm
Payney1000

Payney1000 wrote:
Well a bit of a result. Landrover was a bit shocked due to my one not being in the re call age group. They are will to work with the insurance company as the insurance company are class it as a dangerous safety issue. Which means here in France it gets reported to the EU. Landrover are going to send a engineer from the re call dept Gaydon to inspect it. It’s all a original so let’s see what happens. I am very keen to take the casing of and have it X-rayed and tested at work. This would be if correct concrete evidence of a failing part.

* UPDATE*
Well its been a 6 months battle, I wish i had sum positive news but sadly not the case. The more i have dug deeper the more disturbing it get. So here is the current breakdown :
1, Insurance company has inspected the vehicle twice with 2 different engineers both reports come back catastrophic failure of the axle caused by incorrect welding, dirty weld practice and poor quality metal. The axle was x-rayed and was showing to have cracks all over the casing, This was also pointed out that the casing molding was not up to vehicle spec for the weight and the vehicle being a 4x4. The report says the casing levels was less than legally needed for a small trailer.
2. After a long fight with Landrover and a few emails to the CEO i got two landrover engineers sent from the UK to France to carry out a inspection. Both L/R engineers agreed with the Insurance engineers. But what i find out next is the disturbing point !!!!
3, Following quoted from one engineer !! The axles were made in India by the order of TATA due to a parts plant there needing more work or it would be closed down. If it was closed down TATA would have to pay to much money to the Indian government due to past cash injections in to the plant.
The axles went for friction welding to mig welding to reduce cost. Anyway after 6 months of the new axles coming form India Landrover were fully aware that their was a serious problem. Their was also two new defender at landrover offroad experience that had snapped axles with under 2000 miles on the vehicle.
Landrover then checked futher and found that they had a very big problem. The following re-call was made as we are all aware but !!!!!! these are the scary bits
1, Only 110 -130 were recalled even when the 90 was fitted with the same axle ( Their view the 90 was less weight so it could hold better )
2, Only 100 vehicles were re-called per 1000 produced ( that's 900 vehicles still with faulty axles per 1000 driving around ) This was to save cost as to replace all axles as advised by the DVSA safety branch was to costly plus the modification to all vehicles was also to costly.
3, Landrover after the re-call informed DVSA and other market vehicle safety dept EU etc that all vehicles had been modify or had replacement axles. ( They lied to the governments )

So me I am no further forward Landrover offered me the cost of my vehicle direct transfer to my bank if i sign a non disclosure agreement and say nothing to anyone !! Landrover are trying to brush this under the carpet. Plus a further person in the UK which as had the same in the past months has also been offered this by them. We have both declined as its extremely worrying and dirty business practices.

The lawyer will deal with it and the press now.

But on another point that was found out by the investigation !! We all underseal are vehicles and my vehicle was undersealed. It was found that the underseal stops the showing of cracks and due to its rubber feel it had also stopped any pre leak from the axle. ( So be very aware what is happening under the underseal on these welds as it may look ok but the crasks are hidden.

Sorry for the long post but that is were we are currently, I feel every owner has a right to know. Plus there as been in the last 3 years 34 accidents across Europe due to this axle problem. They are now starting to re-exam accident reports with defender crashing on motorways etc.
Post #961691 15th Aug 2022 10:26am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Thank you for a very interesting, shocking, and not at all unexpected post. The background to the problem (the India connection) is very interesting, as are the statistics.

I also applaud your decision not to to take the easy option, the cash and NDA, and do what is right. Perhaps this is the time for everyone else who has had this problem to start lobbying the safety bodies.

Keep up the good fight, this is an appalling situation.
Post #961702 15th Aug 2022 11:03am
Payney1000

Thank you 😊

I really think Landrover needs to be knocked down a few pegs. Why should we be treated like this by a big company. It’s all wrong, My friend works for Audi he said if this happened people would be sacked and loose there pension as they will not put up with a board putting safety after profits.
Post #961708 15th Aug 2022 11:45am
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Thanks for the (shocking) update. Very honourable you press on instead of taking the hush money Thumbs Up
Post #961713 15th Aug 2022 12:36pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Thank you for the update and for sticking to the straight and narrow. I have had the magic brackets fitted but reading your post I am getting worried. Now the the UK has left the EU Land Rover will not feel any obligation to work with overseas customers. Why would anyone buy an expensive new Defender from a company like this who treat such a safety issue in such a cavalier fashion. Given the age profile of the vehicles involved they will hope it will just fade away.
This is in complete contrast to Mercedes over here. I don't know the exact model but whichever model it is has a bad disintegrating rear sub frame. This is due to cheap steel bought from FIAT who initially bought it in bulk from RUSSIA. Mercedes are fitting complete new rear subframes to models even 10 years old once the car is presented to a main dealer for inspection. No main dealer service history needed. That is the way to do things. I hope Land Rover are told to get this sorted, the correct way. Owing to the small number of vehicles involved they should be more than capable of doing this.
Surely they realise once the name "DEFENDER" becomes tarnished with this issue it will be associated with the NEW DEFENDER too even though it does not have live beam axles. Such will be the public perception. This might be the only way they will take this matter seriously. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #961726 15th Aug 2022 1:39pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Do we know when they outsourced this? Dates, did they bring it back in house later or does it affect all newer ones.

Anybody have photos of the cracks, my axel is not under sealed but could not see cracks but maybe looking in wrong place.

Good luck with the fight and thanks for publishing your findings so far Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #961727 15th Aug 2022 1:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 15 <123 456 ... 131415>