↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 2012 Front Axle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 15 <123 ... 91011 ... 131415>
Print this entire topic · 
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Payney1000 , looks like the EU has issued a recall notice, instigated by France. Looks like you have made a significant difference Thumbs Up

See link https://ec.europa.eu/safety-gate-alerts/sc...14?lang=en

Highlighted by supacat in this topic https://www.defender2.net/forum/post968887.html#968887
Post #968888 25th Oct 2022 5:33pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
where do we stand with regards to a trip to europe - would our vehicles be deemed illegal on the roads out there without the recall having taken place.
if so would it be reasonable to assume they're not fit for purpose?
if they're fit by EU standards and we bought them when part of the EU ..... ????

glad there's a recall on the EU ones at least.

and what will that be - an extra set of brackets?
Post #968890 25th Oct 2022 5:40pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As far as I am aware the UK is still part of the ECE and it is the ECE (not the EU) which defines the standards and laws for motor vehicles. Anything which is deemed "EU law" is therefore still applicable to the UK, and I would expect any recall which results form this EU notice to affect UK vehicles too.

I would also expect JLR to do the absolute minimum it can get away with, with the utmost reluctance.
Post #968894 25th Oct 2022 6:14pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
/\ most probably Crying or Very sad

Thumbs Up
Post #968904 25th Oct 2022 8:03pm
Payney1000

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Ianh wrote:
Payney1000 , looks like the EU has issued a recall notice, instigated by France. Looks like you have made a significant difference Thumbs Up

See link https://ec.europa.eu/safety-gate-alerts/sc...14?lang=en

Highlighted by supacat in this topic https://www.defender2.net/forum/post968887.html#968887

Dear All,

This is the start. Due to landrover still deny that they are at fault. I released the inspection report to the EU safety board. They inspected the vehicle and agreed it’s Landrover fault and they have known this for years. This safety re-call is an ordered re-call by the EU for Landrover to replace not brackets !!! All vehicles effected with new axles at thier cost.
They have starting today to re-call all vehicles within 6 months of this notice. I’m the coming days re-call should start coming from other Eu country’s this also includes the DVSA branch will also order Landrover to replace the axles.

It’s a win for the small people But if it stops someone being killed or injured that’s a win for me . My legal battle still goes on but iam also pleased this helps me massively.
Post #968905 25th Oct 2022 8:15pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Outstanding Payney1000, truly outstanding . Bow down Thumbs Up

Everyone impacted by this will benefit from your actions. I sincerely hope your legal battle results in the best possible outcome for you, and sets a precedent for others to be properly recompensed for any suffering they have endured due to this failure as well.
Post #968918 25th Oct 2022 9:38pm
blackwolf

It will be interesting to see how this progresses. One point which hasn't been discussed in the light of the EU Recall directive but which was raised in Payney1000's earlier post (post 69 in this thread) is that the axle was unacceptably weak and inadequate for a 4x4 of any kind to pass EWVTA even when friction welded, the basic axle was flawed by design even before the weld problem emerged. This is supported by evidence reported on the forum where vehicles outside the LR recall have suffered weld failure and split casings.

This may explain the lengths LR has gone to to cover up and suppress the issue, but raises the possibility that all Defenders could be recalled irrespective of weld type and wheelbase. That really would hit the headlines.

I wonder how long it will be before the people behind the annoying "Did you buy a diesel car ...." advertisements turn their attention to "did you buy a Land-Rover Defender manufactured between 1985 and 2016....."?
Post #968936 26th Oct 2022 8:42am
kenzle8a

It's not a great thought that ones axle could come apart. I had a take off axle from a Puma 110 fitted to mine as a replacement. Its friction welded but like Blackwolf once I found out about this I put the brackets on as a safety measure.
Post #968939 26th Oct 2022 8:55am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Wow, what a read... Shocked

blackwolf wrote:
One point which hasn't been discussed in the light of the EU Recall directive but which was raised in Payney1000's earlier post (post 69 in this thread) is that the axle was unacceptably weak and inadequate for a 4x4 of any kind to pass EWVTA even when friction welded, the basic axle was flawed by design even before the weld problem emerged. This is supported by evidence reported on the forum where vehicles outside the LR recall have suffered weld failure and split casings.

For clarity, are you referring to just the Tata/Indian made axles, or does "flawed by design" mean axles made elsewhere before and after the Tata/Indian made axles?
Post #968952 26th Oct 2022 10:52am
blackwolf

I was referring to Payney1000's post (number 69 in this thread, quoted below), in which he says that his insurance company assessed his failed front axle and concluded that it would not have passed EWVTA tests if the inadequacy of its design was revealed, specifically the fact that "... the casing molding was not up to vehicle spec for the weight and the vehicle being a 4x4. The report says the casing levels was less than legally needed for a small trailer."

It is possible that there were other changes when production was moved to India, however to the best of our (current) knowledge it was the method of assembly and not the materials thicknesses and specifications which changed. This suggests that none of the recent axles has been adequate, and I referred to the number of failures we have had reported on the forum from owners of vehicle outside the recall range which I feel tends to support this. I can't remember all of them, but there was a bent axle, a split axle, Noworries4x4 (the Ladybird Crane Hite 90), and several others with axle failures (which were not necessarily the welds failing and the ends breaking off) all of which occurred in normal use and which collectively build up a picture of inadequate axle strength. If you then factor in the number of Pumas which have had the front diff disintegrate (which includes mine) the picture is even worse. An understrength, poorly assembled casing containing a differential assembly which is not strong enough for the driveline. We also know that Land-Rover has known about this for a very long time and has chosen to do as little as possible about it. Pretty shameful really.

Quoted below is Payney1000's post, number 69 in this thread:

Payney1000 wrote:
* UPDATE*
Well its been a 6 months battle, I wish i had sum positive news but sadly not the case. The more i have dug deeper the more disturbing it get. So here is the current breakdown :
1, Insurance company has inspected the vehicle twice with 2 different engineers both reports come back catastrophic failure of the axle caused by incorrect welding, dirty weld practice and poor quality metal. The axle was x-rayed and was showing to have cracks all over the casing, This was also pointed out that the casing molding was not up to vehicle spec for the weight and the vehicle being a 4x4. The report says the casing levels was less than legally needed for a small trailer.
2. After a long fight with Landrover and a few emails to the CEO i got two landrover engineers sent from the UK to France to carry out a inspection. Both L/R engineers agreed with the Insurance engineers. But what i find out next is the disturbing point !!!!
3, Following quoted from one engineer !! The axles were made in India by the order of TATA due to a parts plant there needing more work or it would be closed down. If it was closed down TATA would have to pay to much money to the Indian government due to past cash injections in to the plant.
The axles went for friction welding to mig welding to reduce cost. Anyway after 6 months of the new axles coming form India Landrover were fully aware that their was a serious problem. Their was also two new defender at landrover offroad experience that had snapped axles with under 2000 miles on the vehicle.
Landrover then checked futher and found that they had a very big problem. The following re-call was made as we are all aware but !!!!!! these are the scary bits
1, Only 110 -130 were recalled even when the 90 was fitted with the same axle ( Their view the 90 was less weight so it could hold better )
2, Only 100 vehicles were re-called per 1000 produced ( that's 900 vehicles still with faulty axles per 1000 driving around ) This was to save cost as to replace all axles as advised by the DVSA safety branch was to costly plus the modification to all vehicles was also to costly.
3, Landrover after the re-call informed DVSA and other market vehicle safety dept EU etc that all vehicles had been modify or had replacement axles. ( They lied to the governments )

So me I am no further forward Landrover offered me the cost of my vehicle direct transfer to my bank if i sign a non disclosure agreement and say nothing to anyone !! Landrover are trying to brush this under the carpet. Plus a further person in the UK which as had the same in the past months has also been offered this by them. We have both declined as its extremely worrying and dirty business practices.

The lawyer will deal with it and the press now.

But on another point that was found out by the investigation !! We all underseal are vehicles and my vehicle was undersealed. It was found that the underseal stops the showing of cracks and due to its rubber feel it had also stopped any pre leak from the axle. ( So be very aware what is happening under the underseal on these welds as it may look ok but the crasks are hidden.

Sorry for the long post but that is were we are currently, I feel every owner has a right to know. Plus there as been in the last 3 years 34 accidents across Europe due to this axle problem. They are now starting to re-exam accident reports with defender crashing on motorways etc.

Incidentally I propose that in recognition of his achievements in getting this problem recognised by the wider world and the regulatory authorities, Payney1000 should be official awarded "Forum Legend" status! Thumbs Up
Post #968953 26th Oct 2022 11:12am
blackwolf

I was rereading some of the earlier threads on this subject, and had forgotten that Grenadier had posted the letter he received from LR on the subject. Note that this is described as a "Voluntary Safety Related Recall" which is wonderfully ambiguous, does that mean that Landrover hasn't been forced to do it and is doing it voluntarily, or does it mean that owners are not required to pay any attention to it? I suspect the former, but it may explain why only one in every ten affected vehicles has been through the programme.

The other thing that will, I think, live in the "annals of understatement" forever is the third paragraph: "If the wheel hub assembly and the suspension collapse or detach from the vehicle, vehicle stability will be compromised and the degree of directional control compromised, this significantly increases the risk of an accident."

If it wasn't so serious, and being treated in such and irresponsible and cavalier fashion by LR, it would be hilarious.

The quote below is from this thread.

Grenadier wrote:
Just received this recall, anyone else had it? Seems quite a serious one.

And (for CRC @ LR) can I have this done under warranty in France?

Click image to enlarge

It is a little interesting to wonder what would actually happen if LR was ordered to replace the front axle in every old-style Defender it had made during the last 20 years of production, bearing in mid that it would presumably had to design a new stronger axle before then tackling a huge recall. I can't really see it happening.
Post #968954 26th Oct 2022 11:13am
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Supacat wrote:

For clarity, are you referring to just the Tata/Indian made axles, or does "flawed by design" mean axles made elsewhere before and after the Tata/Indian made axles?

No production Defender axles were ever made in India.
Post #968957 26th Oct 2022 11:59am
blackwolf

^^ Have you not read Payney1000's post (quoted in my post above), or are you disputing what the JLR engineer told him? Perhaps you know different?

Payney1000 wrote:
3, Following quoted from one engineer !! The axles were made in India by the order of TATA due to a parts plant there needing more work or it would be closed down. If it was closed down TATA would have to pay to much money to the Indian government due to past cash injections in to the plant.
The axles went for friction welding to mig welding to reduce cost. Anyway after 6 months of the new axles coming form India Landrover were fully aware that their was a serious problem. Their was also two new defender at landrover offroad experience that had snapped axles with under 2000 miles on the vehicle.
Landrover then checked futher and found that they had a very big problem. ...
Post #968958 26th Oct 2022 12:02pm
kenzle8a

Is there anyway of identifying the TATA made axles of the friction welded variety?
Post #968959 26th Oct 2022 12:14pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I think the India made axles are a red herring in the story. Everything else is pretty accurate.
Post #968960 26th Oct 2022 12:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 15 <123 ... 91011 ... 131415>