↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > A day in the life of Miffy the 110...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 42 of 60 <123 ... 414243 ... 585960>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
All great work being carried out there on Miffy Thumbs Up

I bet there was more than " balls " said at the time, it's a real pain when things like that happen, my upbeat reading your work dropped when i saw the pic Sad Rolling Eyes

As for the intercooler " leak " i had that on Millie's Allisport intercooler, first time with the supporting brackets, metal was to thin, not strong enough built and then i got a hole in a different place and i said that enough is enough, it was made before they gave a lifetime warranty Rolling Eyes I did try to see if i could get a replacement from them as there not cheap, it was a NO from them, so i made my mind up not to buy another one from them as i didn't like them " cornering " the market, so i did some home work and got a different make, it's been all good since fitted, about 2+ years so far Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1000002 13th Jul 2023 9:30pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Wipers and weird growth...
AH ha.... Success... Have to love LR Direct, replacement wiper blade came this afternoon, plus other bits...

New wiper arm on and SS flanged bolts with anti seize of course...

Click image to enlarge

I forgot to mention yesterday that when I came to bleed the brakes I noticed this weird growth in the DOT 4 remaining in the reservoir. Never seen that before. It got syphoned off before refilling. But weird. Thought DOT 4 was pretty much poison to everything...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1000129 14th Jul 2023 5:19pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
L110CDL wrote:
All great work being carried out there on Miffy Thumbs Up

I bet there was more than " balls " said at the time, it's a real pain when things like that happen, my upbeat reading your work dropped when i saw the pic Sad Rolling Eyes

As for the intercooler " leak " i had that on Millie's Allisport intercooler, first time with the supporting brackets, metal was to thin, not strong enough built and then i got a hole in a different place and i said that enough is enough, it was made before they gave a lifetime warranty Rolling Eyes I did try to see if i could get a replacement from them as there not cheap, it was a NO from them, so i made my mind up not to buy another one from them as i didn't like them " cornering " the market, so i did some home work and got a different make, it's been all good since fitted, about 2+ years so far Very Happy

It is not the first time that I have heard about Allisport intercoolers splitting along the welds or leaking. I think I will have a go at plugging the weak. What is the worst that can happen Rolling with laughter

It is a funny thing but "balls" features fairly regularly in my Land Rover vocabulary Rolling Eyes
Post #1000130 14th Jul 2023 5:22pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Early morning oil
Oooo an early morning S&A delivery Very Happy Love this company, super selection of oils and FedeX to your door.

This is EP 80/90 for the rear diff that is going to be removed for refurb in the next few weeks. The diff has done around 250k miles and it would be a good time to check it out.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1000474 17th Jul 2023 9:34am
L110CDL

England 
Just be careful when plugging the hole/holes as the pressure will cause another hole in time, that's what my intercooler did Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1000617 17th Jul 2023 9:48pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Well you're full of optimism Clayton Rolling with laughter I did clean off the area with some brake cleaner the other evening. There is no obvious hole, so it is a very small weep. I think I will observe and see what happens for now.
Post #1000641 18th Jul 2023 7:07am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
The one before Miffy
I came across this photo of my old (1992) Defender 90, called Eva, sat outside my old house this morning, she was a splendid vehicle. We did some amazing trips together. Goodness she could haul ass, such a strong engine the 200tdi.

Post #1000725 18th Jul 2023 4:07pm
L110CDL

England 
geobloke wrote:
Well you're full of optimism Clayton Rolling with laughter I did clean off the area with some brake cleaner the other evening. There is no obvious hole, so it is a very small weep. I think I will observe and see what happens for now.

Rolling with laughter

That will be the best bet to observe the " weep " Thumbs Up

I just find it great finding old pics that you forget you had, all the memories come flooding back, O happy days Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1000888 19th Jul 2023 9:19pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Many thanks to htb2 for the slam panel support struts Thumbs Up They arrived this morning and will do nicely. Thumbs Up
Post #1000993 20th Jul 2023 3:14pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
L110CDL wrote:
geobloke wrote:

Rolling with laughter

That will be the best bet to observe the " weep " Thumbs Up

I just find it great finding old pics that you forget you had, all the memories come flooding back, O happy days Very Happy

Observe the weep or observe and weep Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter

You are not wrong about old photos... Or old videos... https://youtu.be/X9vSyR7l8oA

This is that red 90 having a great time setting out trials at what was then the Anglesey Offroad centre. Hell of a time Thumbs Up
Post #1000995 20th Jul 2023 3:20pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Too many vices....
Well, this morning I had a visitor Shocked Thankfully it was excossack and it was great to finally meet you John. Hope your day on the HAM went well.

John very kindly offloaded one of his large vices with me which is going to come in handy when I fit the ATB to the rear diff and a host of other jobs that require more than two hands to do.

What we also did was check his 110s front half shaft end play as he is experiencing some clicking from the front at full lock and although it is probably the CV getting tired I offered to check the end play whilst he was here. For context his 110 has covered nearly 250k miles and they are likely to be the original half shafts and CVs. Pretty incredible really. I am thrilled as I got to use my new DTI and I am happy to say it works Rolling Eyes

The results are as follows;

OS = 0.07mm

NS = 0.59mm

The results: the OS end play is 0.01mm too tight and the NS is a minimum of 0.41mm too loose Shocked Shocked

The end play should be between 0.08 and 0.18mm to allow lubrication of the brass bushing on the stub axle and the external edge of the CV joint. Too little play and the parts will not be lubricated adequately and if there is too much play the CV can impact on the brass bushing and the internal axle oil seal will migrate over the half shaft possibly wearing the seal quicker.

So, the moral of the story is get out there and check your CV end play. They do change over time and it is a very very simple DIY job to do if you have a DTI. I suppose you could do it with feeler gauges as well mind.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1002199 29th Jul 2023 7:41pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Good to meet you today as well Guy and Miffy the 110. The ham session up the hill went well thanks.

Glad the vice is of use to you, I didnt need 4 vices hanging around the shed.

Thanks for checking the end float, time to look at options etc.

cheers
PS Amber lights fixed, turns out the earth pin on the multi plug had moved! No idea why as the connector has been fine for that last 3 years or so! 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #1002200 29th Jul 2023 7:46pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Four vices... I would have thought one vice was enough for the average man to be honest... In my case its a nice peaty whisky Whistle

Glad you got the lights sorted out. If I had to guess I would say the pin wasn't located quite far enough into the multi-way connector and vibrated loose.

Just about to order some soft vice jaws Thumbs Up

Tomorrow I am going to check Miffy's end play... Whatch this space as she is also approaching 250k miles on her original front axle... Just not the diff, number 3 diff Rolling Eyes
Post #1002204 29th Jul 2023 8:14pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Mmm single malt Smile 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #1002211 29th Jul 2023 8:51pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Re: Too many vices....
geobloke wrote:
Well, this morning I had a visitor Shocked Thankfully it was excossack and it was great to finally meet you John. Hope your day on the HAM went well.

John very kindly offloaded one of his large vices with me which is going to come in handy when I fit the ATB to the rear diff and a host of other jobs that require more than two hands to do.

What we also did was check his 110s front half shaft end play as he is experiencing some clicking from the front at full lock and although it is probably the CV getting tired I offered to check the end play whilst he was here. For context his 110 has covered nearly 250k miles and they are likely to be the original half shafts and CVs. Pretty incredible really. I am thrilled as I got to use my new DTI and I am happy to say it works Rolling Eyes

The results are as follows;

OS = 0.07mm

NS = 0.59mm

The results: the OS end play is 0.01mm too tight and the NS is a minimum of 0.41mm too loose Shocked Shocked

The end play should be between 0.08 and 0.18mm to allow lubrication of the brass bushing on the stub axle and the external edge of the CV joint. Too little play and the parts will not be lubricated adequately and if there is too much play the CV can impact on the brass bushing and the internal axle oil seal will migrate over the half shaft possibly wearing the seal quicker.

So, the moral of the story is get out there and check your CV end play. They do change over time and it is a very very simple DIY job to do if you have a DTI. I suppose you could do it with feeler gauges as well mind.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Always nice to see multiple Landrovers playing happily together in this natural environment.
Likewise, always nice to read about their owners playing nice together too - great to be able to help each other Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #1002261 30th Jul 2023 11:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 42 of 60 <123 ... 414243 ... 585960>