↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Site News & Feedback > Rudeness
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
First off, sorry you think there is a an issue with rudeness. There is a "report post" system if you feel someone oversteps the line, that way it is brought to my attention straight away.

Thanks for the kind words above about how the forum is run overall. As many of you know I moderate it alone which says a lot about general behaviour and attitude. Thumbs Up

I don't feel it is right, welcoming or helpful for the default answer to any question to be "do a search". Often a search only turns up the correct thread or post where someone else already knows about it and the key phrase/s to use to find it. Thankfully, it is extremely rare that "do a search Rolling Eyes " is a reply here.

I tend to answer with "a search turned up ... " and post some links to relevant threads. This way the fact that search exists is reinforced, but as I know which threads I am looking for I can instantly point someone in the right direction.

Coco if you want to report the post/s in question to me or send me a PM I will review them.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #472987 16th Nov 2015 10:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
As a relatively new member (6mths) I've found this forum amazing, full of great technical information and inspiration. Some of the comments can be a little cutting but i always read them as banter. I think the trouble with the written word is it can sometimes be read in a manner that was not intended.

I quite agree that a quick search can sometimes answer the question. I do find that people rarely put the topic/question in the 'subject' thus making it very difficult to actually find relevant threads.

But all in all I'm a great fan and only visit Def2 now as well as numerous FB pages.

Stick with is Coco and i hope you're enjoying your new Puma!!
Post #472989 16th Nov 2015 10:55am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
GREENI wrote:
.....It's like the 'tyre' question, there's new tyres coming out (ko2's for eg), so why not start a new thread?!! ......

Laughing Because it is a new product and we are not visionaries or soothsayers with access to historical facts perhaps? (Apart from those that either put down deposits on DC100s or know specifically what format the next Defender replacement will take and when it will arrive?)

Rolling with laughter Bow down Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #472990 16th Nov 2015 11:06am
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
K9F wrote:
Personally what I can find irksome are those that purely visit the forum to look for a resolution to an issue and then have absolutely nothing to contribute until their next problem and the associated quest for a solution. Then again that is what forums are for I suppose? There were those that also just used to register to knock something on too.

I like helping people and find "Search reveals:" and a few posted links to the relevant information sought also assists those with an 'apparent aversion' or oversight in the use of the search facility, which is indeed a very useful tool.

I think your, friendly, approach to putting the search results in the reply is a great way of helping people formulate the right search string. Often its difficult to understand the question to search for.

Keep it up... Thumbs Up

cheers

simon
Post #472991 16th Nov 2015 11:07am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
T1G UP wrote:
this is the rich mans forum, hence the civility. Its would be pistols at dawn for the wretched few! Rolling with laughter

Rolling with laughter
I'm in the wrong place then as I'm a poor pensioner. Big Cry

I must agree that this forum is one of the best if not the best I have belonged to, LRO and the DTC could be tough. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #472996 16th Nov 2015 11:30am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Bloomin' heck there's a big muddy puddle, anyone got a cloak to chuck over it so I don't get my tyres mucky?

Ooops, forgot to search for "cloak recommendations" beforehand Whistle

Laughing Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #473016 16th Nov 2015 12:40pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
"Freedom of speech" Shocked Rolling with laughter
Post #473037 16th Nov 2015 2:08pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
I've found it pretty helpful and friendly so far, even my thread about pedal locks, which has been done to death, was well received and led to a good bit of discussion! Helped me make what I believe to be the right choice and I'm very happy with it!
Post #473053 16th Nov 2015 2:38pm
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
It is usually the perception of a posters tone more than the actual way it is written. You think someone is angry, so you read it angrily, when that may not be the case. Feelings and emotions are difficult to get over in written format and thus means people get unintentionally naffed off by a persons innocent post.

People are diverse, some are wordsmiths and some are crude, but both usually care or wouldn't bother posting. Thumbs Up ===================================
Steve
90 xs sw in Stonoway Grey - Sold
110 USW X-TECH
Post #473061 16th Nov 2015 2:51pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Last sentence above is very true.
I also believe in 'if you've got nothing good to say, don't say it at all'.

For this reason if I see something I don't like or agree with a comment occasionally I won't comment on it even though I could.

Some people I think depending on their private lives tend to occasionally leave a short sharp answer sometimes taken the wrong way.
Often due to being busy, aggravated or however they feel at the time.
Tis' human nature after all.

At least un-like LZ it's not all F's and C's and S this and that here and there.

Martin is the pupertrator of stopping this forum from degrading and we all owe him for that.

Some of us have been long standing members, and even then many many of us don't personally know one another so not much of a clique in my view.

LR wise, I only use the forum and occasionally D44 very rarely. We all have to bear in mind rogue members too.
(Wannabe thieves.)
This is one of the reasons new members are treated with suspicion unfortunately.

Bit long winded but just a few of my views, on the whole it's a great place many come back to every day. Thumbs Up

Last edited by custom90 on 16th Nov 2015 5:48pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #473092 16th Nov 2015 5:22pm
gw8izr

Wales 
>We all have to bear in mind rogue members too.
>(Wannabe thieves.)
>This is one of the reasons new members are treated with suspicion unfortunately.

Nice.. well thats that then.

have fun with your forum.
Post #473100 16th Nov 2015 5:42pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
K9F wrote:
Personally what I can find irksome are those that purely visit the forum to look for a resolution to an issue and then have absolutely nothing to contribute until their next problem and the associated quest for a solution. Then again that is what forums are for I suppose? There were those that also just used to register to knock something on too.

I like helping people and find "Search reveals:" and a few posted links to the relevant information sought also assists those with an 'apparent aversion' or oversight in the use of the search facility, which is indeed a very useful tool.

Agree entirely, that's why I like to do a decent write up with pictures where I can to iullustrate changes, mods etc so that someone else can come along and do them and learn from my mistakes.

People's help has been invaluable to me along the way so I like to give a bit back where I can. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #473117 16th Nov 2015 6:09pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Martin wrote:

Thanks for the kind words above about how the forum is run overall. As many of you know I moderate it alone which says a lot about general behaviour and attitude. Thumbs Up

That quote says a lot about how well/smoothly this forum runs.

Question, how many moderators are there on disco3.net? How many mods on LRO or LZ etc?

Sometimes Martin has to get his pan and brush out to do some tidying up to keep his housekeeping standards up. Sometimes he needs his headmaster voice on to remind us all to play nicely and be civil. When was the last time a Def2 member was suspend let alone ejected from the forum??

Yes there will be the occasional commotion in public, but in general terms this forum is remarkably civilised and polite.

Brendan
Post #473123 16th Nov 2015 6:21pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Lishlandy wrote:
It is usually the perception of a posters tone more than the actual way it is written. You think someone is angry, so you read it angrily, when that may not be the case. Feelings and emotions are difficult to get over in written format and thus means people get unintentionally naffed off by a persons innocent post.

People are diverse, some are wordsmiths and some are crude, but both usually care or wouldn't bother posting. Thumbs Up

Fook Me where did you pop in from Thumbs Up
Post #473140 16th Nov 2015 6:53pm
ttman333

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Well as another newbie I have to say that I have had no issues with "interesting" replies.

I subscribe to the whatever works for your Defender is fine by me - even if I hate it philosophy. All I have had is really supportive replies to my posts and great input from Martin when I have had to ask him stuff - Thumbs Up Martin.

Stick with it, take those that seem offhand with a pinch of salt, and do what works for you with your Defender Very Happy
Post #473173 16th Nov 2015 7:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>