Home > Site News & Feedback > Rudeness
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
"From what I've seen Martin has done a good job of getting the 'tone' right."

Very true!
Any trouble making and your out, had it once and only once here and no more in 5+ years thanks to Martin.

Just being courteous to one another should be nothing less than the right thing and the site is also a wealth of knowledge.

Yes, sometimes repeat posts do come up but on the flip side normally there is such a time lapse since it was last mentioned new products or ideas are developed in the meantime.

Last edited by custom90 on 16th Nov 2015 1:38am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #472915 16th Nov 2015 12:05am
Lambley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Java Black
Without knowing what's upset you it's difficult to know if it's 'normal', but I have to say this is THE most civilised forum I've ever been on. The members are friendly, informative, supportive and even knowledgable now and then.
Please give it time because it's worth persevering. Honestly.
Post #472916 16th Nov 2015 12:09am
Cuthbert

Re: Rudeness
Coco wrote:
I have only been a member for a few months, but appalled by some of the comment from other members. Who do you think you are, you undermine members, you are rude to them, you forget that you once joined the forum as a novice. Can I ask if you can think before you make your comments !!! Some of us are new to Defenders and would appreciate help rather than insult.

Is this post for real or is it an attempt at a 'wind up'?

Personally I find this forum has some very helpful members but it also appears moderated to the point where little criticism is tolerated - so I'm completely puzzled by the OP's posting?

If people go onto a public forum seeking opinions, then they should expect a diverse range of opinions in return. Diversity of opinion can be very healthy and some folk can struggle to differentiate between serious comments, diversity of opinion and general banter.

To those who have helped me on this forum - a big thank-you.
Post #472917 16th Nov 2015 12:10am
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
i should coco!

this is the rich mans forum, hence the civility. Its would be pistols at dawn for the wretched few!

i'm here on a scholarship Rolling with laughter
Post #472921 16th Nov 2015 12:15am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Now what actually constitutes rudeness on this forum?

Is it actually rudeness or banter between forum members who may well know each other very well?

Is it a forum members way of expressing themselves? Some members might be long winded at times ( guilty your honour!), some are very succinctness, then others are masters of the written word.

Bad language as such occurs very rarely on this forum and is not tolerated.

When questions such as 'what is the best......' You will not get a consensus of opinion.

Today I thanked Martin for the current banner and also Def 2 members for not using hateful/ offensive language about a rather tragic incident.

So I am struggling with the concept of rudeness on this forum. Difference of opinion yes, rudeness no.

Maybe the OP would like to enlighten us with what he considers to be rude?

Brendan
Post #472929 16th Nov 2015 12:28am
nitram17

Coco wrote:
I have only been a member for a few months, but appalled by some of the comment from other members. Who do you think you are, you undermine members, you are rude to them, you forget that you once joined the forum as a novice. Can I ask if you can think before you make your comments !!! Some of us are new to Defenders and would appreciate help rather than insult.

Hi I am new to pumas also but I have been on here about a year coco and in some ways you are right but most people on here are kind and very willing to help...some of the old timers i think get sick of the same old questions appearing from new members eager to solve the same old problems or just trying to find out stuff about their new pride and joy.

I think martin should do a sticky for new ownere of FAQ and then we may avoid the "use the search button"tirade from the usual grumpo old timers(i dont like the search button as some of the results are old and i would prefer a simple reply made in the present)

A lot of people on here are trying to sell you stuff,and obviously dont take kindly to critisisms of their products,lots of people have set ideas about what a defender should look like,and many have taboo subjects that can only be muttered if you have the right handshake!

My advice is ignore the numpty replies as you will soon learn who to avoid and you will get some sound advice as I know I have!

Enjoy Your defender..Have a look at the "Security threads"or the "A bar legality"or the "what do you do for a job"thread as it was an eye opener for me!.............as to the type of folk on here!

" i do find it refreshing that there are no "speling or grama or tyopo "nazi's on here as you usually find them on other sites!
Post #472934 16th Nov 2015 12:43am
WhiskyJackR

United Kingdom 
Coco.

Don't be put off by some of the threads you will have read when as a new member you are trawling the site for information.

I've been a Rennlist member and contributor for approaching 10 years and so on this site approaching a mere one year that makes me a relative newbie (despite having owned Land Rover products since 1992). Rennlist and it's membership I would say stand out as a world class forum.

I have found the people that I interact with directly on this site to be both helpful and respectful and I have to say I very much enjoy participating in conversations here. I would say that this site compares favourably with Rennlist, oh and by the way, I pay a subscription on Rennlist.

In the main you come here for information, assistance and understanding. This you have in spades. Be patient, remain circumspect and you will find that you are in the right place. Any farther South and I'll need to trade the Defender in for a Landing Craft Smile
Post #472937 16th Nov 2015 1:45am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
What a shame.

Sometimes comments are misinterpreted on the whole. I would like to think on this forum we are a happy folk that welcome new members with knowledge great or small. If you have been made to think you have been undermined, then that has been to the detriment of existing members, who should know better. Stick with us, most of us know how to treat new or existing members of this forum with respect. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #472942 16th Nov 2015 2:22am
Coco

United Kingdom 
Thank you for your responses to my comment. I agree most of the help is excellent , my comment referred to other peoples questions and the replies that they received. I go on to this forum daily and read most of the replies, you've got to admit some of them are undermining, its not the NEW Members fault that the question they ask has been discussed many times. I agree with nitram 17 comment
Post #472970 16th Nov 2015 9:27am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
nitram17 wrote:

" i do find it refreshing that there are no "speling or grama or tyopo "nazi's on here as you usually find them on other sites!

You spelt spelling, grammar and typo wrong Nitram.... Rolling with laughter

(I know it was deliberate - I'm not being rude!) Laughing 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #472972 16th Nov 2015 9:40am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
If everybody used the search button, there would hardly be new content.. It's like the 'tyre' question, there's new tyres coming out (ko2's for eg), so why not start a new thread?!! Though a link to an old thread would be more helpful than telling people to search.
There's no harm in it....if old (long standing) members don't want to see a new thread, press the back/next button.

If you were originally referring to the 'Bentley wheels' thread, I was a bit surprised by some of the comments, it's not something I've seen often, to be honest.
Post #472973 16th Nov 2015 9:47am
gw8izr

Wales 
I dont like those Bentley wheels but I figure what someone else does to their vehicle is nowt to do with me.

I did think some of the comments were a bit excessive and wondered what the motivation behind them was. The vehicle looks no worse than some other modified vehicles that seem to have been well received.. that seems odd.

I'm fairly new here and so far this forum does seem a bit more clique based than most. I'm not warming to it yet Smile
Post #472974 16th Nov 2015 9:57am
flydive

Switzerland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
GREENI wrote:
If everybody used the search button, there would hardly be new content.. It's like the 'tyre' question, there's new tyres coming out (ko2's for eg), so why not start a new thread?!! Though a link to an old thread would be more helpful than telling people to search.
There's no harm in it....if old (long standing) members don't want to see a new thread, press the back/next button.

Totally agree.
It's something that I find stupid and rude.

A new member ask a pertinent question and he get flooded with answers like "Use the search button" (this forum is ok, but some are really bad)

The forum stay alive because people ask questions and other answer, otherwise we could just shut everything down and use google.

It usually take less to provide a correct answer than yell "use search" and maybe attack to poster.

If you find the question stupid or that it does not deserve a good answer, well do not answer at all.

But as said this forum (and the others of the "group") are usually good on that.
Post #472975 16th Nov 2015 9:59am
Lost for Words

Interesting. Online forums always bring out the best and the worst in people. I've observed the "use the search function" reply often (on various forums), but I don't recall seeing it presented rudely very often. I've not been over here long, but I'm a member of all Martin's LR forums and, as far as I can see, this one is just like the others - very polite and civilised. Smile

Online discussion is always fraught with risk of misunderstanding and subsequent arguments, and TBH, I don't really like that, but I find that careful choice of words, use of the positive emoticons and being a little selective with replies can often avert any conflict. There are usually members on a forum with opinions that I disagree with etc., but I never let it stop me offering them help on an unrelated matter. Some people are also more computer literate than others, which can have a significant effect. Wink

Occasionally, I want to reply to something, and I type a reply, but then think better of it if I find I just can't present it in the tone I wanted, so I don't submit it - others might have different judgement, and would submit something I wouldn't, and vice versa. I always try to assume the best of people, and take answers in the best possible way. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver
Post #472981 16th Nov 2015 10:34am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Personally what I can find irksome are those that purely visit the forum to look for a resolution to an issue and then have absolutely nothing to contribute until their next problem and the associated quest for a solution. Then again that is what forums are for I suppose? There were those that also just used to register to knock something on too.

I like helping people and find "Search reveals:" and a few posted links to the relevant information sought also assists those with an 'apparent aversion' or oversight in the use of the search facility, which is indeed a very useful tool. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #472984 16th Nov 2015 10:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>