↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > fuel tank leaking??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Nipalong

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
You don't need to top up after the first click on the fuel pipe, otherwise your over filling, it's just a drain hose that letting the excess of fuel out.
Post #459845 2nd Oct 2015 4:17pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
milesr3 wrote:
If the valve in this pipe is supposed to let air in to the tank, then it must be a 1-way valve and therefore has failed if it's letting fuel out.

It's actually supposed to be a 2 way valve.

"The breather pipe includes a two-way valve which allows for over-pressure relief one way and allows for air to enter the tank as the system operates in depression. "

I'm not sure why a 2 way valve is needed on the breather system when the fuel filler cap also has this mechanism:

"The filler cap has a valve which relieves pressure to atmosphere at approximately 0.12 to 0.13 bar
(1.8 to 2.0 lbf/in2) and opens in the opposite direction at approximately 0.04 bar (0.7 lbf/in2) vacuum."

Unless, the Workshop Manual is incorrect and only only of the two systems is fitted?
Post #470920 9th Nov 2015 11:43am
Supacat

Well this was mine at the dealers today.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

After 3 years the breather pipe was still in perfect condition with no evidence of the cracks others have found.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It was in last week to investigate where the leak was coming from - they told me they were 100% sure it was the tank - they had found a leak along a seam; now it looks like it is just the 2 way valve leaking fuel.

The guys in the workshop all said it they only thought it was a one way valve. That's not what the workshop manual says.

Anyway, it seems a very poor design when it sits below the main vent tube - it's going to fill with fuel first time you fill the tank and then if it does vent on over-pressure, blow diesel all over the side of the tank. I can't see this being correct.

I think it needs the valve moving a foot or two along a long vent tube so the valve can be positioned higher than the actual tank. At the moment it sits below the full level.

This is the second time this valve will have been replaced in just a few months. Anyone got any thoughts?
Post #473153 16th Nov 2015 7:10pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Supacat

Supacat wrote:
It was in last week to investigate where the leak was coming from - they told me they were 100% sure it was the tank - they had found a leak along a seam; now it looks like it is just the 2 way valve leaking fuel.

Did the Dealer undertake a pressure test on the Tank....or was the split in the seam obvious... Question
A split Tank (at a dealer) would result in a new one being fitted...did this happen... Question

I know it's maybe too obvious but the main breather pipe can look fine until it is deformed by being squeezed
and then a fine split can then become visible...I initially missed my split on first inspection...maybe worth a check if you can brave suggesting this to the mechanics... Exclamation

If this is your second valve fitting, maybe you have just been unlucky...does happen... Shocked

There may also be nothing to this but your valve is different to mine
does the fuel system in a 2.2 have a pump within the tank... Question
my 2.4 doesn't...but the values appear different...

Yours 2.2

My 2.4

I guess fit new and prove ok...as for lifting the valve (one way or two way...now I'm more confused, I'm sure I remember blowing both ways and could blow out under pressure but not in, which I assumed would stop any ingress of water / dirt etc when wading) I'd leave the position where it is unless someone proved the benefit of moving it...

I'm not adding much here...so suggest that whilst its out and if you have a new tank...fit all new pipework.

Good Luck... SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #473245 16th Nov 2015 9:55pm
defender_uk

Scotland 

Click image to enlarge

My Puma at 11 months old having decided to deposit on the garage forecourt thew diesel i was putting in...I though, Oh I know what the issue is...never mind it is under warranty...

then the local Steeler fixing it phoned and said....sorry not warranty....£650 bill on its way! Why I ask???

see pic? Some rodent decided to eat my bloody tank!!! 2020 First Ed 110.

replaced by 2021 250 110 Commercial

Defender_uk
Post #473280 16th Nov 2015 10:39pm
Supacat

X4SKP wrote:
Did the Dealer undertake a pressure test on the Tank....or was the split in the seam obvious... Question
A split Tank (at a dealer) would result in a new one being fitted...did this happen... Question

Apparantly very obvious on the first inspection. No I asked them to pressure test it and they said it was better to fill to the brim to see the leak. The vehicle was in their workshop and i was several miles away walkiing the dog - I really didn't have a choice.

X4SKP wrote:
I know it's maybe too obvious but the main breather pipe can look fine until it is deformed by being squeezed and then a fine split can then become visible...I initially missed my split on first inspection...maybe worth a check if you can brave suggesting this to the mechanics... Exclamation

I had a good look at the breather whilst in the workshop and I was surprised at the condition of the hose - it did look new. I am now wondering if this was changed by the previous dealer a few months ago and is not the original. It seems odd that the hose connection to the tank is a jubilee clip rather than the c clips on the other connections. Would the factory fit a different type of connector on just this one connection?

X4SKP wrote:
There may also be nothing to this but your valve is different to mine does the fuel system in a 2.2 have a pump within the tank... Question my 2.4 doesn't...but the values appear different...

Yours 2.2

My 2.4

Yes, the 2.2 has a separate pump in the tank; I believe the 2.4 has a transfer pump integrated into the high pressure pump.

X4SKP wrote:
I guess fit new and prove ok...as for lifting the valve (one way or two way...now I'm more confused, I'm sure I remember blowing both ways and could blow out under pressure but not in, which I assumed would stop any ingress of water / dirt etc when wading) I'd leave the position where it is unless someone proved the benefit of moving it...

The 2.4 should also be a 2 way valve according to the Workshop Manual, the difference appears to be the mention of a Roll Over Valve for the 2.4 that is missing from the 2.2:

"The vapor space ensures that the Roll over Valve (ROV) is always above the fuel level and vapor can escape
and allow the tank to breathe.

The ROV is welded on the top surface of the tank. The ROV is connected to the atmospheric vent pipe. The ROV allows fuel vapor to pass through it during normal vehicle operation. In the event of the vehicle being overturned the valve shuts off, sealing the tank and preventing fuel from spilling from the atmospheric vent pipe.

The atmospheric vent pipe includes a two-way valve which allows for over-pressure relief one way and allows for air to enter the tank as the system operates in depression."

X4SKP wrote:
I'm not adding much here...so suggest that whilst its out and if you have a new tank...fit all new pipework.

Unfortunately, it's a warranty item so they will only do the absolute necessity to fix rather than apply any preventative measures. I don't really have an issue with that.

Thanks for your comments - they have been useful. Thumbs Up
Post #473406 17th Nov 2015 10:45am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
defender_uk wrote:

My Puma at 11 months old having decided to deposit on the garage forecourt thew diesel i was putting in...I though, Oh I know what the issue is...never mind it is under warranty...

then the local Steeler fixing it phoned and said....sorry not warranty....£650 bill on its way! Why I ask???

see pic? Some rodent decided to eat my bloody tank!!!

Time for some bait and a trap or two. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #473432 17th Nov 2015 12:04pm
Supacat

Revised vent pipe arrangements
So after more than several false starts on diagnosing where the fuel leak was coming from, it was decided that the vent pipe itself was the issue.

It seems that LR themselves may have come to the conclusion that the original design is flawed as they appear to have now produced a revised part.

This is the official kit my main dealer has just fitted. It seems like it was a surprise to them also.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Can't quite see how the vent pipe breaks into the breather hose so might try and take another photo later.

This arrangement also exposes the open end of the pipe to all the crud in the wheelarch, so I might see if I can extend it off to somewhere more sheltered.

I'm wondering if this is now the standard fitting for those coming off the production line and if so when the change was introduced? Would the engineering change generate any paperwork that would be visible in Topix?
Post #474474 20th Nov 2015 10:06am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Supacat

Interesting and as you say...

Supacat wrote:
It seems that LR themselves may have come to the conclusion that the original design is flawed as they appear to have now produced a revised part.

This is the official kit my main dealer has just fitted. It seems like it was a surprise to them also.

Maybe ask for the new Land Rover Part Number and see if 'we' can see how they have done this
(connecting back into the Tank).

It looks like a similar dia' breather hose 'extension' T-off, from the original position.

But as you say back up into the 'firing line' for water / dirt etc...it looks like it needs a final mini 'air' filter
or shield of some sort... Question

I don't think it will reach as shown but maybe it would be better to take it up to behind the rear 'guard' covering the OS rear lights...you could do this easily enough with a short extension / re-routing.

Defenders... Shocked SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #474507 20th Nov 2015 11:21am
Trussy047

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Hi all,

This thread has helped me out massively; just thought I'd pay it forward and share the photos and part numbers for the revised part, in case it helps anyone.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #833060 24th May 2020 1:19pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
I’m on with this at the moment, mine appears to be Censored diesel out of the vent as well. I was thinking of relocating it further up the breather hose, nearer to the filler. Good idea?
Post #862119 17th Oct 2020 4:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12