↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Diesel mystery knock on the highway
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
enfield_dinosaur

2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
No, it's more that there is a very loud "knocky range". I pass through it when accelerating or taking the foot of the pedal.

This diagram should explain it - it's not very scientific Mr. Green , but should illustrate the phenomenon

Click image to enlarge
Post #441888 31st Jul 2015 10:11am
robharvey

South Africa 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Sounds like an injector issue. Ask your dealer to do an injector "re-learn". They basically reset the injectors.
Post #441916 31st Jul 2015 11:57am
spudfan

Ireland 
Caterham wrote:
spudfan - just to reiterate. this was only on start up?

Yes, loud knocking on start up or when idling. But in later stages the engine sounded rattly and rough all of the time. It takes time for the damage to get serious. Mine was in it's six year of ownership when it got really bad. The maindealer fought my corner and told LR how religiously I had it serviced and just how much a pain in the a**e I could be to make sure everything was done right. So as there was a bulletin issued (which I didn't know about until I started digging) to dealers to change engines when this was reported in the warranty period LR stumped up most of the cost for me. Six years old and three years out of warranty, so it was an O.K. deal which I was more than happy with. It only effected engines within a certain vin range and mine was one of them. Actually it was a very painless and quick exercise once I left the vehicle into the maindealer. Only took a couple of weeks from diagnosis to engine swap.
The maindealer had my service history except for one oil change which I got done locally when the vacuum brake pump was changed out of warranty. I did'nt fancy driving all of the way down to the maindealer with oil spewing over the enginebay and the road causing a danger to me and others. LR wanted proof that the oil used for this oil change met their specs. I forwarded a copy of the receipt for the oil to them and they were happy with it. You cannot blame them for checking this. The oil used was Total Quartz 9000 future NFC 5W-30. Anyway it all ended well.
http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1214866 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #441971 31st Jul 2015 3:12pm
enfield_dinosaur

Could be cam follower
Quick update for everyone else still researching about the same problem - I now got a hint that it could be a part called "cam follower". Could be pricey. Will investigate further...
Post #443804 6th Aug 2015 5:24pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'm guessing if it's a cam follower;

a- it would be rpm related and not throttle position
b- it wouldn't be overly expensive being a over head cam engine?

I ain't really got a clue but that's my thoughts?

good luck whatever.
Post #443913 7th Aug 2015 6:21am
Caterham

I had to take a big breath before writing this as I don't want to believe it's true Sad

I suspect the sound is similar to what you're saying but are the symptoms the same ...or just similar.

so lets say I'm coasting at about 50mph on a slight down hill in top - smooth and sweet as can been. If I apply a very light throttle I get the sound / the clatter /injector knock. I bit heavier on the throttle and it can go away.

similarly if I'm cruising at say 40mph in top and then come to a slight incline sometimes the engine is sweet as can be but other times I'll get the clatter.

I'm going back several years here and still believe there's an issue with the turbo. and the clatter is there due to the turbo not being up to speed for those conditions. Its as though the turbo is being very lazy on low throttle. thing is it's a relatively new turbo and these conditions were the same before and after fitting the turbo so to my mind it's back to the wiring Confused
Post #443919 7th Aug 2015 7:04am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I wouldn't think turbo, as it's not being used with such light throttle.
Post #443951 7th Aug 2015 9:05am
Caterham

not sure but it's like it goes away when the turbo is buzzing away doing it's thing
Post #443952 7th Aug 2015 9:07am
enfield_dinosaur

I'm just now gearing up for a little test drive with my GoPro, recording sights and sounds. I'll trigger the phenomenon on the highway and put it here in a couple of minutes. Then we'll know if it's the same thing we're talking about...
Post #443953 7th Aug 2015 9:08am
enfield_dinosaur

Sorry for the bad sound quality, I think I have to do it again. The GoPro microphone sucks, so I had to use the phone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/59xmvxvqg8vyvau/....aiff?dl=0

You can hear me accelerating, and then there's a little phase in between where the usual diesel knock turns into the harsh RRR-sound. It's more pronounced if I step of the gas, like some "after knock". If I hold my foot in the right position, I can sustain it.

I think not much can be gained from this sound file, but it's better then nothing. Will try and record a better one as soon as I can. It gets louder when the engine is warm.

Also - when driving today, I found it much more subdued in general. I put premium diesel in the tank last week, perhaps, perhaps, it's really an injector coked up and getting better now.

In any case, I will persist. If only to find out wheter I now hear ghosts or am onto something. The Landy is booked for the workshop next week, let's see what a proper mechanic will say about it.
Post #443971 7th Aug 2015 10:25am
enfield_dinosaur

I also do not think it's a cam follower. If it was, it should be audible all the time. Same for tappets, etc. Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't it tick then when idling?

At the workshop, I'll have them check the sound for three explanations:

- it's normal for an older Diesel (MY2007)
- injection behaving strangely, due to dirt or miscalculation under certain parameters.
- a piston is not running smoothly, but it's still good enough so it's only perceptible when the car is under load, warm and going fast.

I'm determined to get to the bottom of this, will keep you posted.
Post #443979 7th Aug 2015 10:56am
Caterham

to my mind if it's to do with the injector learn it should do the same thing 100% of the time under the same / similar conditions - does it 100% of the time?

if it's similar to mine I suspect it's one of two things (but obviously not sure);

a - sticking injector / dirty / faulty

b - turbo lazy not spinning up as early as it should on light throttle - if it's not providing the right amount of air would it cause what sounds like injector knock due to incorrect mixture but within emission tolerance and therefore not causing a fault code?

I don't know if 'b' would cause the knocking sound but it's the one I'd be mostly likely to put a wager on in my case.

good luck.
Post #443980 7th Aug 2015 11:05am
enfield_dinosaur

If that info helps, I did in fact have fault codes related to emissions and mixture.

The always popular P1103, "mass air flow higher but expected but in range" comes up quite often. It triggers when a faulty AGR fails to open properly, so the system pulls more air then it should. This, of course, messes up fuel ignition as well.

And my turbo sounds like a starting helicopter as well. I will have the gaskets checked soon.

So. could be.
Post #443983 7th Aug 2015 11:15am
thujack

South Africa 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
@enfield_dinosaur - Did you ever find a solution to this problem. My 2.4 Puma does the exact same thing and have also been unable to solve it. Would love to find the solution.
Post #609112 13th Mar 2017 10:38am
enfield_dinosaur

Hi thujack,

I have since sold the truck and the problem was never really found out.

However - it's sucessor, my current Defender, has revealed the probable cause. My current Puma (at 70k miles) developed trouble with knocking as well. I traced it back to trouble with the injectors. Not only the copper washers were done for, two injectors were starting to leak.

And I think the latter was also the problem with my old truck - injectors leaking at certain throttle settings, therefore causing the knock within the peculiar window of parameters

Did you check for injector leak yet?

In the end, with my new truck, I had four new injectors fitted. The cost was eyewatering, but all knocking troubles are since gone.

Hope this helps!

P.S.: ZA? You're from the most beautiful country in the world.
Post #609143 13th Mar 2017 1:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>