↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Defender Celebration Series & Classic Works > Defender Celebration Line
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 20 of 20 <123 ... 181920
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Vogler wrote:
Thanks for the tip Mark! I have just ordered the book.

Greetings,

Joris

Just be aware that this is probably the worst-produced book published in the last 500 years, no exaggeration. The photo and drawing reproduction is so bad that they are almost useless, the book has more typos and mis-spellings than an illiterate child's homework, and every page has a printed publishers 'watermark' across it which completely masks the text underneath! The print quality suggests it has been run off on a worn out and very cheap laser printer.

In all honesty I have never seen such an appalling production! It is worth reading the reviews on Amazon.

It is a crying shame because the content of the book is fascinating, and if the publisher had (a) had the book proof-read by someone who isn't actually illiterate, and (b) had had it printed by a printer, and (c) had removed the inexplicable watermark, it would be very good! The overall effect of the shoddy production is that the book is almost impossible to read. Big Cry
Post #494744 21st Jan 2016 1:05pm
windymiller

United Kingdom 
How did the Monday and Tuesday Tours go ??? was it still a full production line ..i know 20 cars are put aside for the press to be built tomorrow
Post #496977 27th Jan 2016 1:34pm
chasthechippie

England 
Went on Tuesday am (last was Tue pm) excellent and not to be missed. BIW was not on tour as being dismantled already colours of last remaining on line were mostly Grey and Black. Apparently had ran out of rear oval badges!!
Post #497009 27th Jan 2016 3:23pm
adafish

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi DCPU Stornoway Grey
Apparently had ran out of rear oval badges!!........... Thud was hoping to get a couple in me overalls this week... Putting Dreams on Drives at JLR Solihull..
Post #497164 27th Jan 2016 10:04pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
blackwolf wrote:
Vogler wrote:
Thanks for the tip Mark! I have just ordered the book.

Greetings,

Joris

Just be aware that this is probably the worst-produced book published in the last 500 years, no exaggeration. The photo and drawing reproduction is so bad that they are almost useless, the book has more typos and mis-spellings than an illiterate child's homework, and every page has a printed publishers 'watermark' across it which completely masks the text underneath! The print quality suggests it has been run off on a worn out and very cheap laser printer.

In all honesty I have never seen such an appalling production! It is worth reading the reviews on Amazon.

It is a crying shame because the content of the book is fascinating, and if the publisher had (a) had the book proof-read by someone who isn't actually illiterate, and (b) had had it printed by a printer, and (c) had removed the inexplicable watermark, it would be very good! The overall effect of the shoddy production is that the book is almost impossible to read. Big Cry

Lol.
No worries. But this book is what it is.
I found it extremely interesting,...there were things in it that I'd never read before.
In addition,as Arthur now lives in Aus, I was able to contact him & have him personally sign the book for Karen & I.
The book is about a very special "LandRover Man",...Arthur Goddard, a "living legend ". IMHO, everyone should have a copy.
The other item somewhat connected to this book, is probably a DVD featuring Arthur's first visit to Solihull after being "discovered" after what, 40 yrs, still alive,in Aus. The DVD is "Stop Gap",...probably the best of all my Landrover DVDs.
Pickles.
Vogler:...I'll be interested in your comments after you've read it!
Post #497169 27th Jan 2016 10:13pm
Vogler

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
Thanks for the warnings, I'll prepare for the worst then, so it can only get better Wink
Haven't received it yet, but still looking forward to it nevertheless. Careless use of language tends to annoy me, but I hope that the content will be good enough to see through them!

Greetings,

Joris

Edit: misspellings Embarassed . If there's one post where I can't leave them, then it's this one!
Post #497179 27th Jan 2016 10:32pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
adafish wrote:
Apparently had ran out of rear oval badges!!........... Thud was hoping to get a couple in me overalls this week...

That's probably where they have all disappeared to already!
Post #497312 28th Jan 2016 10:38am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Vogler wrote:
Thanks for the warnings, I'll prepare for the worst then, so it can only get better Wink
Haven't received it yet, but still looking forward to it nevertheless. Careless use of language tends to annoy me, but I hope that the content will be good enough to see through them!

Greetings,

Joris

Edit: misspellings Embarassed . If there's one post where I can't leave them, then it's this one!

I totally agree with Pickles's post above. The great tragedy of this book is that it is one of the most important Land-Rover books, and the most valuable from an historical perspective, and the production quality should match its importance. All the flaws are completely avoidable and correcting them would not have cost a penny more! It goes way beyond "careless use of language".

You don't have to be literate to write a book now, you just have to involve someone literate. You don't have to have an expensive publisher, just one which is vaguely competent. This book quite literally sets a new standard for appalling!

However it is a book of supreme importance and one which everyone who is interested in the early development years needs to buy.

Pickles, I am really glad that the book lead to you meeting Arthur, and I envy you!

The "Stop Gap" DVD is excellent, and if the book had been produced to the same standard I would be singing its praises!
Post #497436 28th Jan 2016 4:43pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Blackwolf,...."Met Arthur"?....Mate, I wish I had, but He is in Queensland, and I am in Victoria,...about 2000klms away!!...I did toy with the idea of driving Gracie up to Brisbane, getting photos, meeting him etc, but it was just too far.....it would mean a 4000klm round trip!
So, I spoke to his son by phone, & he arranged for Arthur to sign the book to Karen & I, & put a little message in it,....so unfortunately I've never met him.
I believe He is the patron of the Qld based Series 1 Club, who've had him to several events,...I believe He loves a beer & a good joke......I can't remember whether it was in the DVD or the book where He talks about the time when they (LandRover) were making the "Parade" LandRover for the Queen, so in the presence of Arthur, the Duke says to the Queen,.."they want to know where your Bum will be" or something like that!!!...Arthur must have so many things He could talk about!!
I think He'd be around 95 by now....the ultimate "LandRover Legend", I reckon.
Regards, Pickles.
Post #497629 28th Jan 2016 10:40pm
Tim-LR

United Kingdom 
I was fortunate enough to go to the 1PM tour last Wednesday. We were told it was the last tour of the full production line, as the BIW part was being dismantled at the weekend. We were also told the the Defender will not be continuing production abroad, it was not deemed feasible. Sad
Post #497651 28th Jan 2016 11:47pm
Mark y

United Kingdom 
I can see where you are all coming from with the critique of the book , I work every day with Mike and the only thing I'd say is it's his first book and it was put together with passion for the brand, you will never meet anyone so passionate about Land Rover in particular the Defender .
Oh and the other problem we have is English isn't his first language, he's Australian Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter .

I had the pleasure to meet Arthur Goddard on a couple of occasions that he visited Solihull , always followed very closely by Mike Bishop, who arranged for him to come over and see the Defender celebration tour.

In a locker next to the entrance were brown engineers cow gowns (like Dr's white coats but brown), each was embroidered with the name of the founding members of Land Rover, when Arthur opened the locker and found his own name on the cow gown and put it on , the reality of how important his visit was sinks in, he kept it on all day and returned to his hotel with it on Thumbs Up .
As a part of my memorabilia I own the spare one with his name on Thumbs Up
Post #498570 31st Jan 2016 12:28pm
Vogler

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
Today I received 'They Found our Engineer' by mail and I'm happy to say that all the issues that have been mentioned seem to be gone: no watermark whatsoever, print quality is acceptable (although it could have been a bit better, photographs show lines from the digital printing process) and at first glance spelling seems to be OK throughout the whole book. So if it was the sloppy edition that kept you from buying, than fear no more. This edition is from Authorhouse and has been ordered through bookdepository.com

As soon as I have finished 'First Overland', I'll dive in this book!

Greetings,

Joris
Post #500569 4th Feb 2016 8:48pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Mark y wrote:
Arthur Goddard flew over from Australia and visited the celebration line last year .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/They-Found-Our-Eng...ael+bishop

Tells you a little about the last surviving Land Rover engineer

Happy Birthday

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

landroverphotoalbum (@landroverpa) Tweeted:

Happy birthday to Arthur Goddard who has just started his 99th trip around the sun and is the only surviving engineer to work on the original Land Rover in 1948.

By #nickdimbleby
#landrover #SeriesOne #Serieslandrover #Defender90 #landroverdefender #landroverphotoalbum https://t.co/7LMvJBs9L7 https://twitter.com/landroverpa/status/1223191465179918337?s=20
Post #812859 31st Jan 2020 2:59pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #812865 31st Jan 2020 3:19pm
Slideywindows

England 
Happy Birthday indeed.

Am so glad he is still alive.

Went to see and listen to him several years ago, on his first trip to England after he was "discovered" in Oz by Mike Bishop (and IIRC Alex Massey?)

When he is gone, it is all gone.

Mike's book has its faults, but it is a work of passion, rather than a work of art.....
Post #812979 31st Jan 2020 11:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 20 of 20 <123 ... 181920