Print this entire topic · 
windymiller

United Kingdom 
we are on the afternoon shift starting at 1pm ...black armbands all round ::{{{
Post #493729 18th Jan 2016 5:23pm
Tomcat 106

2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Monday Morning visit completed
Went on the second visit today - very good and nice to have a second look.

Click image to enlarge

Traffic a total nightmare - over 3 hrs to do a 120 mile journey - never has a coffee been so welcome!
Holding compound just down from gate D2 had over a dozen orange Adventures - 90 and 110 but only one with the roof rack so looks like supply is still a bit tight?
New temporary wall now installed in BIW in preparation for the dismantling of the line - they do not want to "contaminate" the RR line next door....the end is nigh Crying or Very sad It looked to me that 110 CSW - mainly in black were the favored choice today. More than a few examples waiting for the water test were sitting on Wolf rims as well as sporting the Black Pack which I thought was a strange combination.
Todays interesting fact was one Defender off the line in a little over 4 minutes Vs a FFRR leaving the line every 85 seconds!
Looking around I saw that there were several Autobiography's in build or parked outside Special Vehicles. It looks like matt grey and gloss black are the most popular choice Question

Last proper tour is supposed to be Wednesday morning the guide said.

Click image to enlarge
 MY15.5 110XS CSW
1956 88" S1
2004 Tomcat 106 Comp safari
Post #493833 18th Jan 2016 9:06pm
windymiller

United Kingdom 
I hope not because i have 16 on the 1pm tour ,,,Like christmas night for grown ups ... well sort of grown up :}}}
Post #494035 19th Jan 2016 1:32pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
I had a really good tour yesterday afternoon, Graham was great, I don't know if they were all as good as him but certainly felt we'd got a good one. He's got a USW with 500 miles on the clock plus some other Defenders and a Freelander. Suggested he joined the forum Laughing

He said there was this morning and afternoon, then that was it. No more full Defender tours.
They did say they were keeping a few cut down ones just in case.

He'd been involved with the wading military Defenders and had experience of Dinitrol from there, reckoned it was good.

Edit: I think the only thing I wasn't such a great fan of was the body kit on the bus-Defenders. They're TD5s underneath, and it's obvious if you look at the dash or listen to them. Don't know why they need to tart them up.
Post #494037 19th Jan 2016 1:41pm
Vogler

Belgium 2015 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
Graham was our guide too. Great guy! His USW was to be built a couple of days later, so he was as excited as a schoolboy. If all went well he has seen it being assembled..

Greetings,

Joris
Post #494045 19th Jan 2016 1:58pm
Geedubu187

United Kingdom 
Went on the tour yesterday morning (only just made it though) Stayed not too far from the factory but went out to the 90 only to find I could not get in the drivers door, it was very frosty. Opened the passenger door and leant over to open the drivers door from the inside and eventually it conceded and opened. I then started it and left it running while I cleaned the side windows only for it to lock itself and me out with keys in ignition and very little time to get to the factory. A quick call to Land Rover assist had an AA van dispatched who quickly effected entry using plastic wedges and a long thin wire to release the passenger side lock button. As you can imagine my love for the 90 was wearing a bit thin by now but after managing to get to the tour (albeit about 10 mins late) I calmed down and realised why I like the defender with all its quirks.
Off now to strip door down to see what I can do to stop this happening again, and yes I have read the other thread running on this very problem.
Overall thought the tour was very informative and can now see why we have so many problems with our vehicles Laughing
Graham
Post #494376 20th Jan 2016 12:58pm
edtidswell

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
at time of writing there are still 4 spaces left on the tue 26th 930am tour according to the website for anyone looking to go on the last day of the tour, afternoon tour is fully booked.
Post #494541 20th Jan 2016 9:35pm
chasthechippie

England 
Thank you Had lost the will to live since I have been trying to get on one for the last thee months but nothing available. Booked on for Tuesday am Many thanks again
Post #494552 20th Jan 2016 9:59pm
edtidswell

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
No problems. Glad u got a space
Post #494567 20th Jan 2016 10:27pm
chasthechippie

England 
Will buy you a pint next time I see you in the pub!!
Post #494582 20th Jan 2016 10:50pm
stevie

United Kingdom 
Went in Monday. Really good tour but plainly obvious why it's ending. I love my defenders and always have and hope I always will since I've got another coming soon. Yes it's a shame it's got to end but it's had a bloody good run. Let's hope the future brings a better/improved defender.
Post #494601 20th Jan 2016 11:43pm
23GPS

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Thanks for sharing the tour info. Have also just booked Very Happy Had given up any hope of getting on the tour, now feel like a kid waiting for Christmas! Much appreciated, thanks again. Keep it simple - poverty spec.
Post #494606 21st Jan 2016 12:01am
windymiller

United Kingdom 
Well a brilliant day was had by all 16 of us ...it started out in true fashion when the 130 in out party spat a drive shaft out of the service station on the M4.. I've never seen such a quick prop removal ever....

it was sad and nostalgic at the same time thinking how the iconic vehicle is made and in reality no wonder it has to stop..i love some of the quirks like the piece of wood used on the windscreen installation and a marker pen to show where the washer jets should point,,and the wing mirror cable tied to a wall so the parts trucks can see the traffic lights,,, and the guy who went to hide his home made bottle jack with plastic and metal base specially made to jack up for the door alignment ..those of us who really are land rover nuts chuckle because we have all done it ,,,and those new to it will soon understand...

Already the engineers were in looking at removing it and i think within a very short time it will all have gone ...

Have a great time Monday and Tuesday
Post #494651 21st Jan 2016 10:24am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
There's still no official news if and where the production line may be moving to?
Post #494736 21st Jan 2016 12:49pm
Vintagepaul

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Santorini Black
When I was on the tour our group asked our guide about this and he seemed to think that it was going nowhere at the moment and that the line equipment would be mothballed until it was decided what to do with it.

I don't know how true this is but everything else we asked him about he's got right. 2015 Defender 90XS HT
Post #494741 21st Jan 2016 12:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 19 of 20 <123 ... 181920>