↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Cupboard's 110: Nellie
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Nice update cupboard, sounds all good to me Thumbs Up

Did you ever sort out the wire/light protecter issue ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #518560 28th Mar 2016 8:26pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
If you're talking about the panel with the wonky switch, no!

Maybe one day, but I've got more interesting things to do and not enough time.

The interior light is now connected up properly though, so they're both running of the second mini-battery and can be controlled independently. There are a lots of things that I know aren't 100%, but I want to use it to know what 100% is. Most of my work so far has been fairly low budget whilst I learn what works for me and what doesn't. Off on a trip in a month so we'll see what falls off Smile

Having changed the MAF it's still coming up with MAF errors occasionally, meaning it's the EGR at fault. Once it's logged the MAF error and shuts the EGR it sounds so much sweeter and less rattly. "Old" MAF will be going back in shortly, then something to be done about the EGR when I've accumulated enough Round Tuits.
Post #518636 28th Mar 2016 10:08pm
Cupboard

Work pootles on.

I've actually got more installed now, but it's raining outside so I'm inside rather than taking pictures:

Click image to enlarge

That's storage for 4 Really Useful Boxes. I've now got another leaf bringing the total to 6. I was originally planning on doing 8 which would have left a weird short leaf at the back. I'm now planning on leaving it as 6, with a half width but full length leaf on the driver's side to support the foot of my mattress, then having a normal floor level on the other side so I've got somewhere to put boots at night and that should help getting dressed etc.

Click image to enlarge

Went to Norwich Camping today, who are one of the few distributors of Oztent stuff (Brendan and Barbara at 4x4 Overlander being another). Went in planning on buying a King Kokoda chair, ended up buying a Quest Elite Comfort Plus. Norwich Camping have a full range from £5-10 right up to the £80 Oztent kit.

Build quality, the cheap ones really showed (2/10), then there was a bit of a gap to the better ones, including most Quest ones (6-7/10), then another bit of a gap for this Quest chair (8/10), then another bit of a gap before the Oztent (9/10). You can tell that from the weight ratings, the Quest being 120kg and the Oztent at 150kg.

However the Quest is good enough, and is much more comfortable for me. Most folding chairs put a lot of pressure under my thighs which I find uncomfortable. This doesn't, and it's nearly half the price. It doesn't have the neat pillow arrangement that the Oztent has though. It's a bit of a faff to fold up, but no more so than the other solid arm ones and is a pretty similar design. I have to say, there is night and day difference between this and the £4 ones I've had before - it actually feels like a chair.

I also bought a fold up shelter awning thing, they were very helpful letting me setting it up in their shop, although one attendant got the wrong end of the stick when I paid for the other stuff and got my tape measure, and I came back in to measure it to find he'd packed it up for me. So I had to set it up again Laughing

Anyway, it looks like this, should fit the back of a Defender fine and I'm waiting for it to stop raining for my first outing.

Also got a fold up washing up bowl, got back to the Defender and found it fits in my crockery box perfectly. Then realised I could have just used the crockery box as a washing up bowl. Oh well!

Edit: This post seems to have got broken in posting which is odd. Hey ho. Anyway it's now paused raining and it works!

Rather than using the guy lines, I think I'm going to make some gutter clamps. the suction cups don't really like the water that well.

And yes, I realise my "garden" needs some attention.
Post #522491 9th Apr 2016 3:37pm
L110CDL

England 
Looking good there Thumbs Up Is the folding shelter quick to erect and fold away Cupboard ? 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #522608 9th Apr 2016 10:29pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Good thing about a separate wash bowl means if you do a repair and want to wash your hands all of your crockery stays safe and in one place Thumbs Up 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #522615 9th Apr 2016 10:37pm
Cupboard

L110CDL wrote:
Looking good there Thumbs Up Is the folding shelter quick to erect and fold away Cupboard ?

Yes. The box says "erects in seconds", which is technically true but it's a reasonable number of seconds. I've just put it up again so I can get in to the swing of it, that makes twice at the shop against a load of barbecues and twice against my Defender, and I reckon 5 minutes for setting it up and a bit quicker taking it down is about right.

The biggest weakness is the suction cups. The actual canopy bit is really quick to get up, but then you've got the roof with a couple of legs flapping around with a built in sail. You then wriggle it round so it's on the roof, climb on the back step and put the cups on. From there, you guy and peg it.

I'm not entirely sure what purpose the suction cups serve, plan is to make some gutter clamps and hook on to them which will make it a lot quicker and more secure. It would also be a lot easier with a hatchback because you could do it all at ground level and then open the boot.
One really good thing about it is that they've made the bag big enough to fit it back in to. So often you get a tent that you can't put sensibly back in the bag and that's really annoying.

On the subject of things done in seconds, the bed really does happen in seconds. This is "normal" mode:

Click image to enlarge

And this is "bed" mode:

Click image to enlarge

I have to say it's a lot better than the Mark 1 Bed, it's quicker, easier, more comfortable and you can easily get to the stuff underneath. Mark 1 Bed proved the point that I could sleep in the back but was just some planks across, with an air bed on top. It rattled horribly and bowed if you sat on just one plank. If you wanted to get to the boxes underneath it was a bit of a pain.

Mark 2 Bed is much sturdier and provides much better access to the storage under it. It also doesn't rattle or jump around when you're driving along and the mattress doesn't need inflating.

Next jobs are finishing off the roof sound deadening and insulation, fitting a bulkhead removal bar to give me a bit more stretching out room and sorting out the passenger door squeaks - which I think just needs some trim clips fitting.

Last edited by Cupboard on 10th Apr 2016 9:18pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #522767 10th Apr 2016 3:57pm
L110CDL

England 
Thanks for that cupboard, your progress is looking good Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #522889 10th Apr 2016 9:01pm
Cupboard

Nellie is in for a service today, so I'm sorting out paperwork. Yay.
Rang up Adrian Flux to tell them I was going on holiday etc. and added a modification to my list.

Click image to enlarge

That's nice and vague! Rolling with laughter
Still, the process couldn't have been easier and they managed to send the documents over straight away unlike A-Plan who I was with last year.
Post #525017 18th Apr 2016 3:18pm
Cupboard

Fitted a MUD under cubby locker today.
The instructions were mostly excellent although there are a few oddities, like there are some dividers supplied with two pre-drilled holes at either end of fixing, and there are pre-drilled holes in the box to fix the dividers, but only one of the two holes lines up.

I was hoping that the central tray that I have would fit on top of the locker, but that doesn't come anything like close to working. This is with the range selector in neutral:

It also doesn't fit around the seatbelts. So I've fitted the box and am making a tray to go on top. The front two holes lined up fine but the back ones (nearest the bulkhead) where miles out so I had to drill some holes in the MUD box.

I did end up cursing Land Rover's inability to build things properly incorrectly for once. MUD had given me two set screws with parallel threads which I could not get in to the rivnuts (and ended up having to replace a rivnut). It was fine once I worked out what the problem was but really annoying until I did. I've never seen a bot/set screw with a thread that just goes round and round, it was weird. Like |||||| instead of /////// and I ended up with two!

On a positive note, I ordered it at lunchtime Friday and it turned up today which is pretty good going.

I also ordered a set of these to go in my cargo tracking in the hope of securing some water cans with them:

I've no idea what the thread is, it's finer and larger diameter than M8 which is quite annoying really. I was hoping it would be M8 because that would fit in well with the rest of what I'm doing and easily fit in some universal bodging band, but alas not.
Post #526754 25th Apr 2016 9:15pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
mud released that about 2 days after i purchased a front runner safe Rolling Eyes i like the look of the mud one though!.
loving the thread Thumbs Up My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #526776 25th Apr 2016 9:59pm
Cupboard

The Under Cubby locker thing worked well Thumbs Up

Just got back from a trip to Portugal with Barrie at Waypoint Tours. Me waffling tediously to follow:

The first two days were too hot, it was over 35°C depending on which temperature gauge you believed and I don't have air conditioning. However I was expecting that to be the case, unlike the owners of two Land Cruisers that were expecting to have AC and then found it didn't work Rolling Eyes .

After that, it poured and poured and poured with rain. Then it rained some more, and then some more. And it did that for the rest of the holiday. I have to say that it did obviously put Barrie a bit out of his comfort zone but you could never have expected as much rain as we had (did I mention it was a bit wet?) and I think it's fair to say we all still enjoyed it.

Losing the trailer has meant fewer grills/barbecues, but the food we had was tasty. We had a great salad for lunch on one of the sunny days, although when it starting raining we did default back to filled rolls, hotdogs etc. because a salad wouldn't really have worked given the miserable weather.

At one point we tried to make a fire:

Click image to enlarge

We were quite a big group to start with, although two dropped out after the rain started and two vehicles (me and the lead Cruiser) were single occupant.

Click image to enlarge

Beautiful country is Portugal.
The little yellow blob is a Jeep Renegade Trailhawk, which is a pretty good name for a vehicle. It did remarkably well, occasional scrapes on things, but it's got protection for that. Very reliant on its electronic traction aids and next to no articulation, but it went everywhere apart from one rather deep ford. It did throw an easily fixed electronic wobbly on one day but that would have been the end of the trip if someone hadn't had a diagnostics doodah, and it was the only vehicle to get a puncture. Still, it was getting much better fuel economy than all the other vehicles. Fuel consumption did go up markedly when off road though - it went from the vehicle with the longest range on the motorway to the vehicle with the shortest range off road.

Click image to enlarge

I quite liked being at the back, but it never lasted.
On the subject of fuel economy, mine did by far and away the best of any of the non-Jeeps. 32MPG over a few fill ups before going off road, then 34.5MPG on the way back through Spain to the ferry. The Discos and Cruisers were getting 25-28MPG.

Click image to enlarge

Did I mention it was rather beautiful? Varied too, no two days were the same apart from the rain. Did I mention it rained a lot?

Click image to enlarge

I met another Defender from Belgium and we had a chat. The Toyota guys laughed at me Big Cry Laughing

Click image to enlarge

It's a shame it rained so much, we past some spots that would have been lovely to camp in but it was so miserable people really wanted to get to a proper camp site, eventually we were having to head for sites with cabins for the ground tenters.

Click image to enlarge

I think that was the last dry lunch spot. The map said the road went straight in front of my wheels. We disagreed.

Click image to enlarge

Jeep got through that, although he did nearly have a brown trousers moment at one point!

Click image to enlarge

Last lunch with the Disco 4, and sort of where the pictures start dwindling. The guy driving the Disco 4 complained that he didn't like going up or down hills. Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Camping Rosario, truly beautiful campsite. The sun even came out briefly!

Click image to enlarge

And they had a Defender Wink

Click image to enlarge

Two awnings plus a tarp to join them to keep the rain out of dinner.

Click image to enlarge

Splish splosh. Not sure why this is at such a silly angle.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Apologies for the gloominess of that picture. The leafy patch in the middle I nearly let the Defender side down. I was turning round after lunch, decided it wouldn't really matter if I used that patch as the corner of a three point turn. Except it was a massive hole and not a leafy spot, so there was a huge *CLONK* noise and I ended up looking at the sky. Still in high range but with the CDL in I put it in forward and it just stalled without moving an inch.

At this point I was just imagining the shame of being pulled out by a Toyota so I called on the radio for a hand whilst there was still a Disco 2 near by (because being pulled out by another Land Rover isn't quite so bad). Anyway, popped it in to first low and after a couple of grunts it just ambled out as easy as anything which was good. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

This was a sodding great hill with some deep water at the bottom, followed by a nasty side slope and a very steep climb on the other side. 2nd Low and it just pootled up on tickover.

Click image to enlarge

My tarp awning worked very well. A few tweeks needed but it set up easily and didn't blow down. I learnt a handy levelling trick, find a likely looking rock and put it under your tyre. Easy.

Click image to enlarge

So umm, yes. That happened. New ECU required. It died a couple of minutes after a deep water crossing and wouldn't start again. We couldn't fix it, local chappy couldn't fix it (came up with errors for all the injectors) so it had to be taken to a Land Rover dealership. When you tried to start it, it would fire once, then just turn over. If you left it a bit, then you could get it to do one cough and then it would just spin. We're guessing that the water was the straw that broke the ECU's back. Thankfully they made it back to the ferry to meet up with us again Thumbs Up

My car and the Jeep were the only two without snorkels/RAIs. The Jeep found a way round, but I went through and was the only one that didn't end up with water inside. If I'd seen the LC76 on the other side with its bonnet open, water running out of the doors and the air box being mopped out with a towel I wouldn't have followed it. However credit where it's due the Defender sailed through with no apparent issues or water anywhere alarming. It was over the bonnet of the other cars but kept in front of my bonnet and it stayed half way between the air intake and the door hinge. Not sure quite how we managed to stay dry inside but we did!

Click image to enlarge

And finally, the official story is that the very generous LC owner was kindly looking to see if he could find any Land Rover spare parts under the bonnet Laughing Not sure why he needed some of my tools though.
Post #531777 15th May 2016 6:02pm
gabe3105

United Kingdom 
Good write up, I enjoyed reading that Thumbs Up
Post #531793 15th May 2016 7:16pm
L110CDL

England 
^ ^ ^ agree with that Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #531835 15th May 2016 9:22pm
jk84

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Cupboard, looks like you had a fantastic trip! A bit of rain, but nothing you wouldn't be used to Wink Great write up, and good to read a first hand account of waypoint. Seems Nelie did very well too Thumbs Up MY15 Aintree 110 SW - for sale - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82781.html
MY16 Santorini 90 HT - sold
Post #532663 18th May 2016 3:21pm
Cupboard

Yes, it was a very enjoyable trip.

Not to say things couldn't be improved with Waypoint or the car, but I'll be using both again and would recommend both! Of course I might be slightly biased to Nellie the Elephant Wink
Post #532968 19th May 2016 4:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>