↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Cupboard's 110: Nellie
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Cupboard's 110: Nellie
Picked up my Defender on Saturday, it's the first one that's mine personally though I have used various others.
It's the car I had pictures of from when I was little. I never had a Ferrari poster, just the Land Rover (...and jigsaws and books and...)

It's a 2011 poverty spec 110 Hardtop with no mod cons and 14k miles on the clock. I'd been looking at older ones, but this slotted in to my budget nicely and had the added bonuses of a low mileage, a roof rack and a winch.

I don't know if it corresponds to a Land Rover colour because it's a re-spray, underneath it's white.
I've also no idea what the box on the roof is for, it's pretty substantial though. That's coming off as soon as I get back to mine and have something to lift it with, I'm at my parents for Christmas and inconveniently they don't have a forklift. If anyone wants a large, lockable crate...

Click image to enlarge

Dad's noticed that a means to bring logs home from the fields has arrived and collared it for some work already:

Click image to enlarge

None of the extra lights work and I don't really like them anyway so they're coming off (free to a good home). I think it's had a generator or a fuel burning heater in the back, because there are various mounting holes, a hole in the floor when the exhaust went through and a random bit of pipe attached to the chassis.

I've got a load of rustproofing and soundproofing materials on the way, along with some panels for the sides.
Then I can get on with the "fun" stuff Smile

Edit: the name is because it's big and grey, like Nellie the Elephant.
Post #381560 24th Dec 2014 12:50pm
steve E

Wales 
Enjoy your new motor Thumbs Up
happy Christmas
Post #381566 24th Dec 2014 1:00pm
redhandluke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Fuji White
Looks like you've got a busy time ahead. Enjoy!
Steve
Post #381579 24th Dec 2014 1:48pm
jimbob7

Pov.spec. for the win Thumbs Up .Looks like a utilities company owned it,but dunno who has that colour (p'raps the US navy,battleship grey,lol),no matter, it's a commercial, dunt matter if it's bin painted,enjoy,keep it clean to keep the rot away. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #381603 24th Dec 2014 3:57pm
Cuthbert

Tidy looking vehicle and I rather like the colour. Looks like it might be one of the ex-nuclear vehicles? Unless you require it, I'd dump that roof box as it does nothing for the looks of the vehicle (or its performance).
Post #381644 24th Dec 2014 8:53pm
nidge n

I like it, enjoy. Thumbs Up
Post #381665 24th Dec 2014 9:36pm
JAY BOY

Wales 
Nice looking truck fella. Thumbs Up

You could live in that box though Shocked
Post #381671 24th Dec 2014 9:45pm
Cupboard

Cuthbert wrote:
Tidy looking vehicle and I rather like the colour. Looks like it might be one of the ex-nuclear vehicles? Unless you require it, I'd dump that roof box as it does nothing for the looks of the vehicle (or its performance).

It's the most aerodynamic bit about it Laughing

But no, I agree. As soon as I have the means to remove it it's going. One of those things I'll keep just in case I ever need it but will probably just end up sat in a corner somewhere.

I don't think it was a utility company, it was a trade in at a used van place. The utilities' aren't usually this new or low mileage either and don't tend to have Warn winches (can you tell I've looked at a lot Embarassed ).
I don't know why they've painted the wheels silver either. It's a bit strange.

The frustrating thing was I could find loads of 110 hardtops, just no suitable ones in Norfolk. Any other type of Defender is two a penny just not these.
Post #381679 24th Dec 2014 10:13pm
dorsetsmith

you do not have land rover for it aerodynamic bit have fun put it to work already Thumbs Up
Post #381735 25th Dec 2014 9:39am
PCA42

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
I like it too Thumbs Up before I scrolled down I thought it was Keswick green in a bad light, but the Battleship Grey looks great! Perhaps a large estate or something owned it? Would have said refurbed ex-utilities too but can't be from what you've said. Don't usually specify OEM LR accessories either. Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
1972 Series III 88" 2.25P
Post #381843 25th Dec 2014 7:58pm
Cupboard

Back home today, and I'm "on call" at work but basically off. Started work at 6:30 moving milk round to make cheese with, did a few other bits and bobs and then had some time for Land Rover-ing.

Parked it by the pressure washer, dangled the rear in the air, turned the pressure washer on and nothing happened Crying or Very sad

Anyway, fixed that, set it to about 60°C and went to work cleaning the underneath. There really was nothing in the way of mud anywhere, nothing in the chassis box or on anything. Just road grime Thumbs Up

Everything kept disappearing in a cloud of steam which was a bit annoying Whistle
Then back in to the workshop to dry out (we've got a waste oil burner and I've put a fan heater by the Defender) and hopefully rustproofing tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed.

Whilst in the workshop I attacked the roof box thing with some bolt croppers as I couldn't reach the front mounting bolts easily and I didn't want to re-use the fixing anyway, and that's now removed with Nellie looking much happier:

Once in the workshop I solved the mystery of the non-working interior light. Someone had unplugged it. Thinking it was just a bulb I had already bought an LED replacement from these guys:
http://www.outbound4x4.co.uk/shop/exterior...rior-light
I wanted to replace it with something better anyway, and someone on the forum suggested this one. It seems good so far but time will tell. It's certainly a lot brighter than the original, and uses 170mA instead of 720mA which is quite a big difference.

Question: most people seem to blank out their numberplate when posting images, so I have. Why though? Anyone can see it if I'm driving along Question

Many thanks to my boss, Stephen, for the use of his farm Cow Thumbs Up

Edit: after 36 hours of being sat inside, much of it with the oil burner and a fan heater on to dry everything out and the chassis blown out with an air line it came time for getting mucky.
Lifted the Defender a bit (if you can lift it more I can recommend it) and started crawling around underneath.
I thoroughly rust-proofed myself, hopefully some got on Nellie Rolling with laughter

I haven't done the bulkhead yet, just the chassis, rear crossmember etc. Used all of a "motorhome" kit apart from 2.5 cavity wax and 1 chassis wax. Despite wearing disposable overalls I've still got some on my trousers, but managed to keep my face etc fairly clean. Pretty much every can full I had to stop and clean my goggles off and I had to clean the inspection light off a few times too. I started with the fully enclosed type of goggles which steamed up too quick, moved on to not quite such fully enclosed ones but still covering pretty comprehensively and they worked well.

I used decorators' wipe (Wonder Wipe branded, but there are others) and they did a good job cleaning stuff up, including off skin.

Post #383063 29th Dec 2014 5:37pm
Cupboard

I tried to get Nellie in my garage for the first time today. My garage is wonderful in every way (it's even heated!) apart from the fact that I need two people sat in the back to compress the suspension enough to get it in Sad

My boss, who owns the garage, doesn't seem too keen on me making the doorway bigger (understandably so) so I might just have to keep my car indoors in the dry and warm whilst the Land Rover gets wet outside.
It would have looked so nice sat next to the S2A 88" next door Big Cry

Either that or a ratchet strap round the rear axle!

Oh well!
Post #384569 3rd Jan 2015 7:15pm
pob1968

Brilliant, loved reading this Smile you sound like me. 110 Hardtop
Post #384594 3rd Jan 2015 8:12pm
TooTall

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Greetings from the Norfolk side of the Fens.
TT

"Ease your worries, Clear-up your woes,
Go into your garage & put stuff into rows."
Post #384598 3rd Jan 2015 8:23pm
Cupboard

Rolling with laughter

There are some roads signs round here that read along the lines of
"Slow you down buh"
Always gives me a chuckle Very Happy

As it happens I don't have the patience to let the air out of the tires. There's a lot of wind in a 7.50!
Post #385518 6th Jan 2015 6:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>