↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > My Daughters TD5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JW51MAT

My Daughters TD5
Hi people, I have taken the plunge and bought my daughter a 2001 TD5 90. The car has been to the garage to have a complete health check and work is underway along with the chassis being treated with Dinitrol, EGR deletion, performance air filter etc, all basic stuff.
So far we have identified the mechanical upgrades she would like are as follows without spending a fortune.

Sports exhaust so it sounds less like a tractor and suspension upgrades to help with ride quality to and from the local horse shop. She won't be doing many miles (3k per annum)and a little towing.
So looking for reviews on the following Decat full exhaust systems from Alive, Demand or other stainless steel exhaust system.

Suspension we are thinking Std height comfort springs, front and rear anti roll bar (none currently fitted) with the option to upgrade the shocks if this doesn't cut the mustard at a later date. Anyone done this? if so did you eventually go for upgraded shocks and if so was it worth the extra cost?

Lighting, interior, exterior, ICE, wheel questions to follow after research if you don't mind.

Thank you on behalf of my daughter.
Post #967386 11th Oct 2022 11:38pm
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
If your going down the exhaust and egr delete with Alive - you may as well make the most of it with an intercooler and a remap to round it all off as a lovely package. 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #967401 12th Oct 2022 8:11am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hate to say it but this thread need photos... Lets see what you're working with Smile

If you want a one stop shop for exhaust, intercooler, remap, "comfort" springs and shocks then you will not get much better than Alive. Top shop.

I have an Alive remap (stage 2+) on my 2003 TD5 and it is superb, buttery smooth power without spewing a smoke-screen when you put your foot down.

Exhaust is a Griffin SS cat back exhaust and it is superbly made. If anything it is a little loud whilst cruising so that is something to be aware of if you are looking for a "sports" exhaust.

Before you choose your suspension have a long think about what other mods you are going to fit, such as HD bumpers, winch, roof rack, swing away wheel carrier, etc etc.

Also, if you haven't considered it yet think about whether you need to replace the suspension bushes. If you are going through the trouble of fitting expensive comfort suspension it is absolutely worth fitting new bushes. Especially on a 2001 Defender. If you do then SuperPro bushes all the way. Oh and I think Alive sell them too Wink
Post #967404 12th Oct 2022 8:35am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
"sports exhaust so it sounds less like a tractor"??

so making it noisier then.... I like my standard exhaust; doesn't give me headaches by droaning on long trips (I have a passenger that fulfills that requirement just on their own)
Post #967407 12th Oct 2022 9:21am
JW51MAT

geobloke wrote:
Hate to say it but this thread need photos... Lets see what you're working with Smile

If you want a one stop shop for exhaust, intercooler, remap, "comfort" springs and shocks then you will not get much better than Alive. Top shop.

I have an Alive remap (stage 2+) on my 2003 TD5 and it is superb, buttery smooth power without spewing a smoke-screen when you put your foot down.

Exhaust is a Griffin SS cat back exhaust and it is superbly made. If anything it is a little loud whilst cruising so that is something to be aware of if you are looking for a "sports" exhaust.

Before you choose your suspension have a long think about what other mods you are going to fit, such as HD bumpers, winch, roof rack, swing away wheel carrier, etc etc.

Also, if you haven't considered it yet think about whether you need to replace the suspension bushes. If you are going through the trouble of fitting expensive comfort suspension it is absolutely worth fitting new bushes. Especially on a 2001 Defender. If you do then SuperPro bushes all the way. Oh and I think Alive sell them too Wink

Thank you for the detailed reply, I will get some pics when it gets back from the garage.

My concern with a remap is all the other bits on a 20 year old engine that will be over stressed to breaking point possibly. Like I said the car will not see big mileage or motorway journeys. But not out of the question depending on peoples experience on here, a post for a later date I guess.

Will look at Griffin thank you.

Only bolt on bit will be a swing away wheel carrier to help preserve the rear door.

All bushes will be replaced with super pro

ATB
Post #967420 12th Oct 2022 10:19am
JW51MAT

diesel_jim wrote:

so making it noisier then.... I like my standard exhaust; doesn't give me headaches by droaning on long trips (I have a passenger that fulfills that requirement just on their own)

😂😂

Mmm my daughter has a lot to learn about the sound of a defender😂
Post #967421 12th Oct 2022 10:21am
JW51MAT

BrickBox wrote:
If your going down the exhaust and egr delete with Alive - you may as well make the most of it with an intercooler and a remap to round it all off as a lovely package.

Agreed but concerns with rest of the engine. Have you done this?
Post #967422 12th Oct 2022 10:22am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
JW51MAT wrote:
diesel_jim wrote:

😂😂

Mmm my daughter has a lot to learn about the sound of a defender😂

The last thing I would do for my daughter is buying her a lovely Td5. Its a boy magnet Twisted Evil

But aside that, regarding the anti roll bars, I found my 90 to be more smooth over bumpy roads without the front anti roll bar. It rolls a bit more in corners though (still have the rear anti roll bar). 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #967423 12th Oct 2022 10:43am
Jhollow

Canada 
Just out of curiosity, were anti roll bars standard at any time? 2006 90 originally registered in Italy
Post #967425 12th Oct 2022 11:48am
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Yes they were - they were orginally present on my 2005 td5 XS both front and rear. 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #967438 12th Oct 2022 1:55pm
Jhollow

Canada 
So they should be present on my 2006 90? There are no sway bars on it at present. 2006 90 originally registered in Italy
Post #967444 12th Oct 2022 2:53pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
It would be different based on model spec and ROW versus UK variants… So not having sway bars on your 06 is kinda common being a LHD ROW LR. Thumbs Up 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #967445 12th Oct 2022 2:59pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Front and rear anti roll bars on my 2004 90 csw.

I think it was dependent if you had alloys or not... so by 2004 a county would usually have alloys as standard and anti roll bars, so a basic hard top would have steel wheels so no standard anti roll bars. 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW
2002 Discovery 2 td5 GS (gone)
1994 Defender 90 300Tdi CSW (gone)
Post #967450 12th Oct 2022 3:50pm
JW51MAT

Been told it all depended if they had any available at the time Very Happy
Post #967488 12th Oct 2022 8:44pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think it depended on model type, specification, and maybe witchcraft!

My '07 110 DC in County spec had Boosts but no ARBs from the factory.
Post #967495 12th Oct 2022 9:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>