↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > New Mach 5 Wheels!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Thanks!
Think I got it covered. Road noise is significantly increased but more than bearable. 'Half a pound' (metaphorically speaking of course) of lead on each wheel to balance them but again stickies used and not obtrusive as all on inside of wheel.
Not a wibble or wobble 'at speed' and much much better at riding the numerous potholes on my route back to work last night.
Happy with the 'feel, look and fuctionality' (so far) of them. Not much more to say really but thanks to all who have advised and helped throughout.... Til the next upgrade.

Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #26858 15th Mar 2010 11:38am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Looking Cool there Thumbs Up

However you may have an issue with your nuts Shocked I was told to use standard steel wheel nuts not the Ally type nut with Mach5s. This is nothing to do with dissimilar metals causing electrolyses. Its the design of the nut.
The steel nut is designed to pull up into the chamfer of the wheel, whereas the nut for the ally wheel is designed to pull up on the shoulder or washer. I also think that the chamfer of the ally type nut is different to the the chamfer in the steel wheels. The only reason for the chamfer on the ally type nut is to aid the fitting of the nut.

Please dont think I'm being a stick in the mud with this, just want you to be safe Thumbs Up

You can get galvanised steel wheel nuts cheap as chips Thumbs Up

Steel wheel nut

Alloy wheel nut

Post #26861 15th Mar 2010 12:42pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
AndrewS wrote:

Its the design of the nut.

The steel nut is designed to pull up into the chamfer of the wheel, whereas the nut for the ally wheel is designed to pull up on the shoulder or washer. I also think that the chamfer of the ally type nut is different to the the chamfer in the steel wheels. The only reason for the chamfer on the ally type nut is to aid the fitting of the nut.

Please dont think I'm being a stick in the mud with this, just want you to be safe Thumbs Up

That is 50% right.

The chamfer on the Alloy nut is designed to take steel wheels- but only temporary. Was for all those Discovery 1 owners who didn't opt for the alloy spare wheel. All they had to do was put the steel spare on with the alloy nuts....but as with a space saver wheel, it is only designed to get you to the garage for the repair.

Mal, you should look into it- if the wheels sit on the chamfered part of the nut you should get a set of steel wheel nuts as above Wink much safer Thumbs Up

Glyn
Post #26865 15th Mar 2010 1:15pm
K9F

Conscience Twinged!
Ok thanks! Glyn and AndrewS Thumbs Up

Could have got some from Devon 4X4 at 68 pence each but have duly ordered a set of marine grade 316 stainless hand polished ones from here:

http://www.wrington.co.uk/landrover.htm

He too told me that the chamfer is at a 45 degree on both standard alloy and steel nuts. The standards when fitted in conjunction with steel wheels should be considered as a 'get you home temporary measure!'

Thanks Guys for the advice it 'twinged' my conscience sufficiently enough for me to do something about it! Next time I drive it they'll be fitted so I'll be around for a while yet!

Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #26877 15th Mar 2010 2:49pm
scatt

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Alpine White
If im correct the write up on the beadlock mach 5's on devons website, states there NOT for road use?? does that mean there not legal or they dont recomend them Neutral

I have normal mach 5's with 35's on and there fine on the road. there also for sale (8x15 with valve guards on)
Post #26932 15th Mar 2010 9:02pm
K9F

Scatt, someone will correct me if I am wrong but I was informed by Devon that allthough proven and used extensively for competition none of the Mach 5 wheels have due 'certification!' For example everything in Germany for automobile use has to be TUV approved (not sure about UK legislation). Sonic may be able to tell you more about Mach 5 beadlockers as he bought a set some time ago! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #26950 15th Mar 2010 10:36pm
scatt

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Alpine White
What does the 'certified for road use' bit mean??

http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p1734c2...black.html

Surely there has to be certain legislation for all wheels as with tyres?? Or the roads would be 10 times worse than what they are now???? Confused
Post #26953 15th Mar 2010 10:56pm
K9F

Scatt, I'm not sure, the advert contradicts what I was told, I suppose it depends on exactly who does the certifying and if it is officially recognised! Give Devon a call and maybe they can shed a little light! I certainly received no certification paperwork with my pallet of wheels apart from the invoice of course! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #26958 15th Mar 2010 11:22pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
I think that the standard Mach5s are certified but the 18" and bead locks aint. Basically there is not enough demand to warrant the cost of the very expensive certification process.
Post #26966 16th Mar 2010 7:42am
K9F

Cloned Wheels????
As an afterthought to Scatt's last post (it is of no real importance but did get me thinking) all the 'cloned' wheels that are available (mostly from Japan I believe) and marketed like this for example....

Boost 'style' wheels....

They are obviously not the 'real deal' but a copy, nevertheless have they gone through the due 'certification process' or not????

Question If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #26970 16th Mar 2010 8:52am
K9F

Stainless Nuts.
Definately worth a 'plug.' Googled Land Rover wheel nuts after Glyn and AndrewS raised the issue of my nuts Shocked and came up with the ones pictured below. Not cheap but a great advocator of 'you get what you pay for.' Next day box arrives and it must be said: What lay within each individually wrapped was a 'quality product.' An extra one thrown in for good measure too! Finished off the wheels beautifully. Bling bling!

Thumbs Up

My Nuts....

If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #27316 18th Mar 2010 9:13am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Mal, that is just posh!.....I can see you now, at a mess party saying "I have stainless steel wheel nuts on my Land Rover that were individualy polished by hand" very Bling Cool

Not to mention double the weight of your car Wink

Glyn Sheep

p.s. You migt be in the runing for pimp Land Rover of the year......you just need to top Steve's sound system install
Post #27318 18th Mar 2010 9:43am
K9F

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Bl00dy hell Glyn...Were you at a well known base in Wiltshire yesterday?

Your insight is just amazing Bow down In the engineering environment I'm I did shamelessly actually pop the spare nut in my pocket and show any of my colleagues yesterday afternoon at work that may have shown any remote interest in it!

You should set yourself up, I can see it now.... "Gypsy Rose Glynn!" Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #27321 18th Mar 2010 9:53am
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Is it cos your wheels is being black you had to bling em?? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #27323 18th Mar 2010 10:02am
K9F

fekete wrote:
Is it cos your wheels is being black you had to bling em?? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

"Suits you sir! You know you want them! Go on! Dare you! Double dare you!"

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Won't tell your missus if it helps! Whistle If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 18th Mar 2010 11:44am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #27329 18th Mar 2010 10:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>