↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > New Mach 5 Wheels!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
MrFlips

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Santorini Black
Looks much better - I can't fault my STTs. Thumbs Up At the risk of looking fun-police-like can you use alloy wheel nuts with Mach 5s? Peter
2008 SWB Truck Cab
1952 80" Soft top
Post #26656 12th Mar 2010 8:25pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Rolling with laughter ...........Just been staring at the pics are vehicle our quite similar... have a great night Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #26657 12th Mar 2010 8:26pm
MuddyMarky

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Bl00dy brilliant mate! Transforms the thing, doesn't it!

Definate Thumbs Up from MM! Mark
2011 110 XS DC
Stornoway Grey
Post #26658 12th Mar 2010 9:09pm
Cibit

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
You must be well chuffed mate

Well done Thumbs Up 59 2.4 110 XS Utility
55 TD5 110 CSW Special Vehicle
Post #26665 12th Mar 2010 9:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Standard Wheel Nuts!
MrFlips wrote:
Looks much better - I can't fault my STTs. Thumbs Up At the risk of looking fun-police-like can you use alloy wheel nuts with Mach 5s?

Yes you can! They do protrude as they are specifically machined for the alloys and the shank does not sit in the wheel as with the alloys, nevertheless the chamfer at the end does sit in the hole of the Mach 5 so it's ok.
With them protruding they too suit the style of the wheel in my opinion. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #26673 13th Mar 2010 8:43am
JMS

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
K9F
Very nice wheels. Thumbs Up

Have you got the the same hanging on the back as a spare? if so what wheel carrier are you using...

JMS
Post #26674 13th Mar 2010 8:49am
K9F

Spare!
No I haven't. Mach 5s are incredibly hard to source at the moment as they are not being made (long story) and I managed to 'cobble' a new set together with the help of Devon 4X4 by them sending a bare steel one away to get powder coated to match the other three. Got a boost on with a cover for spare.
I would have also had to space the spare out! With tyre at nearly £350 each I don't think I would have purchased one for the rear door even if I could have got one.
The missus would have possibly objected to the extra expenditure as well. Daren't ask for anything for a couple of months. May slip it into Rustmasters for a dose of waxoil as the look will not change! Shshshshshshshsh!

Thumbs Up Dog Thumbs Up Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #26676 13th Mar 2010 9:01am
MrFlips

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Santorini Black
If you're sneaking into Rustmaster make sure you plan your excuse before hand - your missus wont see a difference, but she'll smell one. (Maybe say its industrial strength cleaner for getting rid of that hard to reach vomit). Peter
2008 SWB Truck Cab
1952 80" Soft top
Post #26677 13th Mar 2010 10:44am
K9F

Mr Flips Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Kids! Where would we be without them? Laughing

Just cleaned my old Boosts for the very last time. Hurrah!!! Going to stash them in the garage for the time being until I've sought further advice in case there may be any MOT issues with the slight protruberance. Another site member's in a similar position has an imminent appointment with an MOT I'll see how he gets on before knocking 'em on! Well happy with 'the look' keep going out aimlessly to have another gleg every half hour! Sad I know. Wonder if the missus will be upset if I sleep in it tonight.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #26678 13th Mar 2010 11:07am
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
K9, Its a shame they don't share the same enthusiasm with the rebuild of our trucks.....Life would be so much easier having the wife on board.... I suppose it's the same for us when they go on about their weight loss and makeup and does this dress make me look fat Whistle Whistle NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #26681 13th Mar 2010 11:40am
Cibit

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Mine is the opposite. She says the G4 roofrack is not to her taste and to go for the roll cage. I find it is so easy to justify my extravagence because horse livery for her 2 horses comes to 200 quid a week, think of the potential pimping for that kind of cash Mr. Green

And tell them you prefer your women plump, they stop asking if they look big in the new dress Rolling with laughter 59 2.4 110 XS Utility
55 TD5 110 CSW Special Vehicle
Post #26682 13th Mar 2010 11:58am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discocuzzy

England 
K9 Just double check your nuts Shocked , Mach 5s are steel so you need to use standard nuts, not the ones that come with the boosts i believe?

I know when i had mine on my old 110 it they had steel not alloy nuts, something to do with reaction of materials or something Shocked You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #26725 13th Mar 2010 9:11pm
K9F

Dissimilar Metal Corrosion.
Disco,

Know exactly what you're on about! It's called 'dissimilar metal corrosion!' In layman's terms it is when two different metals in contact with each other have a different electrolytic potential and because of this react with each other and suffer from accelerated corrosion.
The old Discos used to suffer from this on the rear wheel arch where the body panels made of aluminium were attached to the steel chassis.
Not sure what the Boost nuts are made of but the Mach 5s are steel and powder coated so as such there should be no inter-action as the two metals are isolated from each other. Also the studs and nuts have a liberal coating of copper slip. Just need to cheque the torque setting regularly.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #26760 14th Mar 2010 9:41am
discocuzzy

England 
Bow down Bow down I only sell computers mate Embarassed You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #26789 14th Mar 2010 12:18pm
ken

United Kingdom 
However the Powdercoat comes off the first time you locate the wheel on the hub the more is removed when you tighten the wheel nuts up

If the PC is to thick ie the UM's wrong then you will need to remove the PC to locate the wheel correctly Never I stress never wind a wheel on to the hub Thumbs Up
Post #26790 14th Mar 2010 12:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>