↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > fuel breather pipe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 14 <123 ... 121314
Print this entire topic · 
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
Thank you for your replies.

So is it actually getting the tank down that’s the difficult part? Is removing the guard relatively straightforward? Or does the rear of the guard get stuck between the rear crossmember and the tank when you try to drop it down?

To replace the breather, I just need an inch or so to fit my hand through. However, I’m like to experiment with some of the Bilt Hamber rust prevention products and I know that behind the tank hasn’t been treated (everywhere else has been dintrolled professionally every couple of years - which I’m beginning to think is a waste of money).

I have taken your advice from your method and ordered some decent marine grade diesel hose. As it’s thicker, I’m intending to route it through the big whole like Blackwolf did, rather than squeeze it between the chassis and body.

For reference, this is the sort of thing I was planning to use to spread the brackets - https://www.tubeclampsdirect.co.uk/product...9m___1_09m

I would then use a heavy-duty sash clamp to bend the brackets back (assuming they deform while removing the guard). 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #991657 6th May 2023 9:02am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello SJM2018

For me I came to the conclusion that without making adjustments to the Tank Guard
I wasn’t going to get the forward movement required to disengage it… (appropriately 30mm)

Bending stuff out of the way may work… you’ll find out if you go in this direction.
but to be clear, my judgement is that forcing the set up to a point where it disengages and
drops (twists) out is the easier half of the operation… I would not like to reverse this procedure.

In short both out an in are really difficult.

As I say others have managed to gain enough space via various methods to squeeze in a
change the Breather Pipe, if you’re adding in some sort of rust prevention treatment then unless
I’ve misunderstood your description, you ideally need full access… so tank out.

I just couldn’t get past the fact (in my case) that accessing my tank was so difficult and I wanted
to do the full Dinitrol thing too (which has been an excellent product lasting now 8 years for me).

As with any of theses Land Rover ‘work arounds’ the proof is learnt in the doing…
I hope you succeed, if you do…. add to ‘the knowledge’ Thumbs Up SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #991674 6th May 2023 11:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 14 of 14 <123 ... 121314