Home > Site News & Feedback > New posts, old subjects
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
pope10001

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Zermatt Silver
Hi all,

Firstly this is not a poke or dig at anyone. Thumbs Up

Is it just me or do others feel that they really shouldn't start a new post on here, fearing that they will be told to "Do a search first and you'll find that it been discussed a billion times before!"?

Now i completely understand, that if the subject is, How do i do this job? and someone has already made a lovely guide on how to complete the job, it makes complete sense that people will direct you to that guide (thanks everyone for making the guides/how too's.) However, i really don't see the point in being directed to a post that was started a long time ago i.e. the Definitive ICE thread, that was started 3 years ago, then having to trawl through 30 odd pages to find out which is a good, relevant, new system. It is much easier to start a new post asking the question.

Also, its nice to discuss old subjects again, peoples opinions change, products are always developing, etc. New people are joining this forum all the time. Shouldn't they be able to have the discussions that we have already had and have the chance to put their two penneth in without being told to do a search?

Eventually, if this carries on, all possible questions will have been asked and Def2 will stop being a forum, instead becoming a Database for people to reference, we already have google for that!

But, as i said, its probably just me... Wink

Regards,

Mark
Post #254582 30th Jul 2013 11:16am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Re: New posts, old subjects
pope10001 wrote:
However, i really don't see the point in being directed to a post that was started a long time ago i.e. the Definitive ICE thread, that was started 3 years ago, then having to trawl through 30 odd pages to find out which is a good, relevant, new system. It is much easier to start a new post asking the question.

Also, its nice to discuss old subjects again, peoples opinions change, products are always developing, etc. New people are joining this forum all the time. Shouldn't they be able to have the discussions that we have already had and have the chance to put their two penneth in without being told to do a search?

Eventually, if this carries on, all possible questions will have been asked and Def2 will stop being a forum, instead becoming a Database for people to reference, we already have google for that!

I agree. Sometimes people find new ways to do things, new products are released, and re-asking the question often brings new answers.

However a search first isn't a bad idea.

We're all keen to learn & share ideas, that's why this forum is so successful. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #254584 30th Jul 2013 11:22am
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
This has been discussed before. Laughing
Post #254585 30th Jul 2013 11:23am
pope10001

WarPig wrote:

Thanks WarPig, i was waiting for someone to say it! Laughing

I agree Martin, however, everytime i do a search I either don't find what i'm looking for (my fault) or end up wading through pages of posts to try and find an answer, which sometimes i do and sometimes i don't have the time for. I also agree that this is a great forum with some very knowledgeable and helpful people.

Mark
Post #254591 30th Jul 2013 11:43am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Most built in forum searches are poor at best and in some cases absolutely useless. I often think that people who just answer "do a search" haven't actually tried to do a search themselves ! http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #254593 30th Jul 2013 11:49am
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Personally, I have no problem with same subjects coming up over and over. It all adds to the general well being and friendliness of the forum.

Lets face it, LRO and all the big magazines seem to recycle subjects time and time again.

So long as there is new stuff intermingled then its an interesting place to be. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #254594 30th Jul 2013 11:57am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Just wondering if it may have been this that has stoked your fire?

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic22076.html

Or this perhaps? My first post page 2 (to save you searching Rolling with laughter )

http://www.defender2.net/forum/post254319.html#254319

I agree partway but a specific model or item is just that. An individual looking for a specific part should not need to raise several threads on the same issue in a matter of days? Why not 'Bump' the original thread?

I admittedly get a little frustrated when people don't or can't be bothered to do a search especially when the information is but a click away. However my retort of "Try a search" is always accompanied by links to the pertinent information they themselves are seeking.
Being helpful to others costs me nowt but a little time....If a pointer to do a search that accompanies the information they are looking for irritates so what? I myself have given them the answer. If more people were to try searching it would prevent Martin from having to merge threads and prevent multiple threads on the same subject, the plus side would be of course the information people seek would be that much easier to find perhaps?

WarPig wrote:

It was indeed....Right here: Whistle

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic10292.html?highlight=threads

Martin wrote:
Threads merged.

Rolling with laughter Bow down Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #254596 30th Jul 2013 12:00pm
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Also we are human, we like to "chat" about stuff - many pub conversations would be be very dull if there was a "that's been discussed before rule"
Post #254624 30th Jul 2013 1:06pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I don't mind old topics being asked again, as has been said it often brings new ideas, thoughts or comments to the table. It doesn't harm, and I don't feel a snappy, unfriendly response is helpful.

I certainly don't encourage or back a culture of "you should have done a search" on my forums.

This forum's search is pretty reasonable now, the issue being that most people are used to Google's search, and they have an effectively bottomless budget to make their search clever Confused  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #254626 30th Jul 2013 1:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pjb

I must be honest I generally use the search facility read a load of irrelevant posts that then takes me to a link to another post & by the time I've read all that I've forgotten what my original question was Rolling with laughter but that just might be old age

ps what are the best tyres Whistle 2020 P300 HSE

Last edited by pjb on 30th Jul 2013 2:41pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #254627 30th Jul 2013 2:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Having a few new recent forum sections have given a more diverse selection of topics. Guess who was behind the I.C.E. section. It was me who mentioned to Martin that I thought it would be a good idea to have a specific section so that it was all in one area and not mixed up with other questions and posts.
Martin kindly agreed to add the section as he obviously felt it was worth while and look at the amount of threads on there...
Mr. Green

I do however draw the line at a "what tyre's are the best section?" Whistle Rolling with laughter Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #254628 30th Jul 2013 2:14pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I find it far more human and personnel talking to someone rather than trawling through searches, I have never really got to grips with the search section anyway,
As mark said it would soon cease to be a forum.
Thumbs Up 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #254636 30th Jul 2013 2:56pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Those that are lucky (or sad) enough to be able to frequent this forum on a daily basis will have an idea of what's been discussed before, and makes searching for old topics easier. Even so, it's not always easy to find the answer you want just by searching.

Personally I use K9F as my search engine. All I have to do is ask a question and he will do the searching for me and post up some links. It's like having my own butler Mr. Green
Post #254637 30th Jul 2013 2:56pm
pope10001

K9F wrote:
Just wondering if it may have been this that has stoked your fire?

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic22076.html

Hi K9F,

Yeah it was that post that got me thinking, but as i said earlier it wasn't aimed directly at you or a dig at you personally.

Regards,

Mark
Post #254644 30th Jul 2013 3:24pm
iPints

United States 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I agree with this statement, when you get a reply "do a search" the author assumes you havent already done that. But this is a public forum and everyone has a right of response be it one we like or one we dont.

The problem is when you read a question often it is just a question without an explaination of what ,who, where, when and why.....background ionformation is very useful. The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead.

Albert Einstein
Post #254659 30th Jul 2013 3:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>