↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Searching
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ben_j85jty

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
Searching
At the risk of being a little controversial....

When somebody posts a question, why do forum users (here and on every other forum I freqent) insist that the poster should have searched before posting?

I for one only use the "show new posts" button and if topics were not regularly discussed I would not see them, and may not be able to impart a crucial bit of wisdom. I am sure I am not the only one who does this? I can hardly be expected to scourer the old posts to add to them if necessary?

No, I agree that we would only end up going over the same stuff again and again, but without that new knowledge will not be shared.

Anyway, rant over, back to the vino! 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #108280 18th Dec 2011 10:08pm
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I sometimes wonder if some forum users do this to increase their posting count. My other favourite example is where someone asks a question and another member will basically say they don't know the answer.

But having said that some people have obviously never heard of google.
Post #108284 18th Dec 2011 10:17pm
Buzz

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
Or post an answer to a question which bares no resemblance to the original question.
Post #108292 18th Dec 2011 11:15pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
When the answer to the question is there with a simple search, why ask again? its lazy and shows poor forum etiquette. You at least do a basic search for the answer and if you cant find it, fair enough, ask away. It's also common sense. If you have an issue the chances are someone else has had the same issue, or its a well known one, so use a bit of brain and search for it.
Post #108295 18th Dec 2011 11:19pm
Bobble

United Kingdom 
Re: Searching
ben_j85jty wrote:
When somebody posts a question, why do forum users (here and on every other forum I freqent) insist that the poster should have searched before posting?

Did you try the search function to get an answer for this? Wink
Post #108299 18th Dec 2011 11:30pm
ben_j85jty

BigMike,

While I agree an answercan usually be found with the search, what about when somebody learns something new?

A hypothtical example....

User Searches....... My TD5 Is slow to respond when cold, get better when warm....

Finds post say MAF is knackered, buys new MAF Sensor - Solved.

User asks....... My TD5 Is slow to respond when cold, get better when warm....

AN Other User - Ah, that could be your MAF - I have just found a new way of fixing it using a tea bag and some garden twine.......

Problem solved and new knowledge is shared.....? 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #108300 18th Dec 2011 11:30pm
ben_j85jty

Re: Searching
Bobble wrote:
ben_j85jty wrote:

Did you try the search function to get an answer for this? Wink

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Thank you for taking this in the less than serious way it was intended to be 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #108304 18th Dec 2011 11:35pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Big Mike, I feel hit the proverbial nail on the head summing it up in his previous post. For those that do actually use the full potential of the site ability to seek solutions to queries it also prevents cluttering up the site with repetitious threads and makes the solution easier to find.
Even if you're being helpful and finding it for someone too bone idle to do it for themselves!

As for the tea bag and twine solution to MAF problems even I couldn't find it! Fancy posting a link to prevent someone else posting the same solution.

Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #108307 18th Dec 2011 11:46pm
ben_j85jty

K9F wrote:
Big Mike, I feel hit the proverbial nail on the head summing it up in his previous post. For those that do actually use the full potential of the site ability to seek solutions to queries it also prevents cluttering up the site with repetitious threads and makes the solution easier to find.
Even if you're being helpful and finding it for someone too bone idle to do it for themselves!

As for the tea bag and twine solution to MAF problems even I couldn't find it! Fancy posting a link to prevent someone else posting the same solution.

Laughing

All valid arguments to which I agree to a point, I just feel there needs to be a little repetition or the forum would be a quieter place.

To that end, has this not been discussed before? Thumbs Up 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #108311 18th Dec 2011 11:55pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
ben_j85jty wrote:
Ah, that could be your MAF - I have just found a new way of fixing it using a tea bag and some garden twine.......

Problem solved and new knowledge is shared.....?

What colour does the twine need to be? John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #108430 19th Dec 2011 2:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Buzz wrote:
Or post an answer to a question which bares no resemblance to the original question.

Cost of bananas is £1 per KG Very Happy
Post #108431 19th Dec 2011 2:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Banana prices continue to slip

By Neroli Roocke

Monday, 19/12/2011

Bananas are now selling for up to $6 a carton below the cost of production.

And at around $2 a kilo for shoppers in supermarkets, the prices are a far cry from the $15 a kilo earlier this year.

The new chairman of the Banana Growers Council, Doug Phillips, says fruit on trees replanted after February's Cyclone Yasi in north Queensland is now being picked by the truckload.

He says growers were asked to stagger their recovery, but not enough have done that.

"You've been out of production for a number of months, to turn around and say 'well, I'm actually going to make a decision to go longer without production', it's a very difficult thing to do," he said.

"And some people probably didn't even have that option. They had to get back to production from a cash flow point of view."

Mr Phillips says supermarkets are buying bananas for $12-$14 a carton, where full cost recovery is around $18-$20.

And he thinks that oversupply is not just a short term problem for the industry.

"It's about a nine to ten month crop cycle, so I would suggest that in nine or ten months from now we'll be back in an oversupply situation," he said.

Cylone Yasi wiped out 90 per cent of Australia's banana crop earlier this year and Mr Phillips says the industry is very aware that it's concentrated in a region at very high risk of tropical cyclones.

"There are plans to try and identify other growing regions," he said.

"The difficulty that we have is that we are already in an oversupply situation, so to encourage people to go an exploit those other growing regions is very difficult, because there's no guarantee the returns are going to be there to justify that expenditure."

Last edited by DAZ110 on 19th Dec 2011 3:09pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #108438 19th Dec 2011 3:07pm
TheTechnobear

Spain 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
ben_j85jty wrote:

All valid arguments to which I agree to a point, I just feel there needs to be a little repetition or the forum would be a quieter place.

To that end, has this not been discussed before? Thumbs Up

I' say there is quite a bit of repetition anyway Wink

On a side note, why is the default search using OR, i think it would b better to be AND (like google)
E.g. If I type in
Radio installation
It's far more likely I want something with about installing a radio, than everything about radios and everything about installing (anything)

Bit annoying having to type +radio +installation especially on an iPad!
Post #108439 19th Dec 2011 3:09pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Use The search Function!

I wondered the same myself about those sort of replies, and at first though that it was a bit rude when it might be just as easy to point people in the right direction rather than just that reply. Having spent a bit more time on forums I now begin to see what a powerful thing the search function is generally speaking, so its a valid response.

The only thing is that people new to forums might not be completely at home with the way search works so are asking for help from the more experienced members, which is after all one of the things that forums are good at. Also seems that search works differently on some forums so might not bring up the expected results, (also like myself not reading the 'how to search' info - that usually brings up something)

The main thing is that usually someone else has already asked the question before so it can be found, either by searching or being pointed in the right direction by a kindly soul, so keep up the good work Thumbs Up . It has been proved that there are a good few experts on here which often isn't the case on forums.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #108457 19th Dec 2011 4:58pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i find most forum search functions to be rather lacking so tend to use google to search and go from there. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #108459 19th Dec 2011 5:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>