↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > SNORKEL ! Mantec or Land Rover ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Print this entire topic · 
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Thought I would tag it on here rather than a new thread.

I couldn't decide on a suitable snorkel as I had to remove my Safari one due to the roll cage. Finally decided on the Southdown snorkel due to its simplicity, it does however require some confidence in your measuring as the hole goes through 2 panels Shocked

The local powder coaters de-blinged it for me and is attached with 2 performance and protection clamps and 2 mikalor clamps. Very very solid once all clamped up. I haven't completed it yet as I need to make an adaptor for the airbox.

It's fitted to the LH side due to mine being LHD but this will fit either side due to its design. I like it.

Make sure you drill this hole in the right place....

Click image to enlarge

De-blinged in satin black

Click image to enlarge
Post #65156 26th Mar 2011 3:58pm
MrFlips

Wales 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Santorini Black
Looks good Steve - I've been thinking of going down the route of a powder-coated Southdown when I eventually get a roll-cage installed, and that settles it for me Thumbs Up Peter
2008 SWB Truck Cab
1952 80" Soft top
Post #65204 27th Mar 2011 12:30am
pathfinder

1989 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Rimini Red
wow looks really good, I am fitting the same roll bars and you have inspired me to fit a southdown snorkel, just a question though what are "mikalor clamps"? I have sourced the performance and protection clamps but the others are puzzling me Rolling Eyes
Cheers
Mark... Thumbs Up
Post #65803 31st Mar 2011 11:03pm
Steve B

These. I used size 63mm to 68mm. I will go into more detail over the weekend exactly how I made them work.

Thanks Mr Flips + Pathfinder for your kind comments Smile

Steve

Post #65820 1st Apr 2011 7:43am
pathfinder

Cheers steve Smile
I have just got some bars like yours and initially wanted a new mantec plastic jobby but sadly it is not compatable with the roll bars and I think yours looks superb so southdown snorkel it is Smile although my bars are silver and I am not sure what colour to have then snorkel? One wife Livid!
Post #65904 1st Apr 2011 4:44pm
Steve B

Great 110 pathfinder, just looked at your pictures. Look forward to seeing it with its roll cage fitted. It took me ages to decide on a snorkel, very pleased with the result of mine. Its good value, strong and as it sits on top of the wing is well out of the way. I have heard they loose their tops easy but thats easy to sort.

I would stick it on standard colour and see what it looks like, they are dead easy to remove.

Ok this bracket, you have the P+P brackets these are M8. The Mikalor size I used has M7 bolts Big Cry so I ended up buying an M7 thread repair kit and fitting an M7 helicoil ( I have about 15 M7 helicoils should you need some)

As the brackets go up in size they do have M8 bolts but am I not sure when this happens, it would make it easier. The 63mm - 68mm Mikalor fits perfectly once I machined back the shoulder on the bolt to give it 5mm more length.

After experimenting I found the best way to get it all to tighten up well I drilled out the thread in the mikalor to 7.2 mm clearance (same drill in the thread repair kit) and the silver M6 nut you see is also drilled out to 7.2mm so basically this is now a spacer. The Clamp bolt is threaded into the P+P clamp and when tight holds everything very steady.

Hopefully the picture will make things clearer, the M8 bolt Mikalor would make things really easy but maybe too big.

Finally I have some black heatshrink on the nasty shiny stainless clamp Smile

EDIT: you can fit it either side also, but the location of the heater box on my td5 forced me to fit it on the drivers side.

Click image to enlarge
Post #65908 1st Apr 2011 5:54pm
pathfinder

this is the lastest pic with the roll bars fitted Smile
the snorkel will be fitted soon and I will post pics then. Thankyou for the inspiration and offer of help Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

update on this
here is the snorkel fitted! although the clamps are temporary Smile

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  One wife Livid!
Post #66741 9th Apr 2011 11:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567