↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > SNORKEL ! Mantec or Land Rover ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
3WHouse

Russia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
offtop:
110SEB wrote:
where were they filmed? I'd love to drive over to your part of the world.

Msk. Mattrazz Trophy #14 2009 сategory *weak mind*))
Welcome Wink Def`s 90 & 110 Monochrome.
You can go fast i can go anywhere.))
http://www.offroadpower.ru/
Post #18777 23rd Nov 2009 8:10pm
Gabriel Boff

Brazil 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Hi all!

Two questions!

- Some problem in motor function in a puma,(loss of power......) fitting an Mantec Rai, but the "mushroom" type? (I just hated the design off the plastic jobby much modern for a Defender!)

- In a puma Defender, how deep I can go whith all the eletronic of the motor?
(I just don't understand how a Defender can do just 500mm of water crossing?!?!?!?! just because the SHI!!#$#@%@#%@ of eletronic motor!!!!!)

Sorry about the bad english!

regards
Post #20989 31st Dec 2009 6:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mad Cow

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Much deeper than 500mm and you risk floating and loosing traction.

Also it is approximately the distance to the top of the wheel rim, so easy to judge.

But that said, I have driven several vehicles well beyond this depth both with and without raised intakes without any mishaps, driving technique has a lot to do with successful fording.

OK I say no mishaps but my V8 Disco used to die about ten minutes after leaving the water, due to steam condensing in the distributor - easily cured with WD40 but very embarasing when you are half way across a road junction at the time Embarassed

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  MAD COW

2007 90 Hard Top - 2009 BMW F800GS - 2002 CCM 604E Dual Sport

Project90
Post #21089 2nd Jan 2010 5:17pm
Gabriel Boff

OK!, I had already had this problems, but how about what they did in Camel Trophyes??? New Defender aren't capable to do that? Land Rover get worst instead of getting better??

Not that I will do it, but it will be great if I know that the vehicle IS capable or not.

regards!!!
Post #21116 2nd Jan 2010 11:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discocuzzy

England 
Your electronics are directly under your driver sear ( well on mine anyway as its right hand drive!) so in theory as long as you dont get these wet then you should be ok, on the old TD5s you could extend the ECU wiring and mount it higher in the vehicle, thats how most of the challenge trucks are run.
On the older 200tdi engines they were not run by electronics so less suseptable to water issues.
The Mantecs (LR and Mantec plastic jobby) are raised air intakes rather than snorkels.These are designed to keep dust out and are not totally sealed to the inlet of the air intake.
The only model you can class as a true snorkel is the safari but you still have a fair amount of work after the snorkel is fitted to make sure all the pipes are sealed correctly Thumbs Up

If you want to do lots of water crossings you also need to extend all the breather pipes on the diffs and gearbox as these too need to be kept free of water.

Personally i have never found the need to go mad on waterproofing, however i dont do that much wading.

Hope that helps You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #21122 3rd Jan 2010 12:18am
Gabriel Boff

Really helped a lot!

And what to do with the big box behind the engine under the hood, it is waterproof???
I think that this big bos is the ECU of the puma engine

regards
Post #21127 3rd Jan 2010 12:34am
Mad Cow

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Certainly no electronics under my seat just a fuse box and a relay?

I know that's where the TD5 ECU lived but the TD4/Puma/TDCI seems to have it fited behind the engine. Not sure how you might relocate it from there? MAD COW

2007 90 Hard Top - 2009 BMW F800GS - 2002 CCM 604E Dual Sport

Project90
Post #21335 5th Jan 2010 9:07pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
The engine ECU is located at the back of the engine bolted to the bulkhead. Apparently its waterproof.
Post #21361 5th Jan 2010 11:22pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
dunno if i'll fit one on the 110.

a cage yes!
Post #21364 5th Jan 2010 11:39pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Snorkel Ordered!
Just ordered a Safari Snorkel! Choice was made after much deliberation....Wanted the slightly more 'aggressive' look over the Mantec. Thing I'm worried about slightly is the fact my 'bag of excuses' is entirely empty. Big Cry
I picked up on something Fekete said.... Here is my prototype excuse....

"Due to the fact my wheels protrude and I get alot of water spray in the wet, I need' to get a snorkel fitted to prevent water ingress into the air filtration system."

What d'you reckon?????....

Any better ones gratefully accepted....Got til next Friday to come up with a corker! Dog Thumbs Up Dog

In fact I may start a thread!!!!

Here it is: http://www.defender2.net/forum/post32759.html#32759 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #32758 22nd May 2010 9:28am
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
K9, I'm down Friday i'll give you all the backing you need Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #32763 22nd May 2010 11:36am
K9F

Snorkel Fitted.
Spent last night fitting my Safari Snorkel. Must have checked the template and fitment half a dozen times before finally drilling the wing and the pillar. Couple of points to make for any other individuals who may be considering fitment.....

The three holes you drill in the wing, the instructions state drill out to 16mm. You are only fitting 8mm studs, this is to facilitate alignment. If you are careful with 'marking out' and 'offering the snorkel to the vehicle' after drilling out to 10mm the holes need be no larger than 10 or 12mm at most (mine are 12mm).

For 'control' and to reduce the likelihood of slipping or making a high speed mistake I used a handbrace drill, bit more arduous but worth the end result.

Accessability is also an issue to the lower two mounting bolts....Didn't want to run the risk of breaking the wheel arch flare plastic securing rivets so worked round removing the flare. Got there through perseverance and alot of profanities....

Allow at least an extra hour above the two hours stated fitment time.

I 'wet assembled' the mounting bolts using a clear silicon double glazing sealant (used enough to refloat the Russian submarine The Kursk) by 'wet assembling' you need not paint the holes you have drilled allowing you to fit straight away instead of waiting for paint finishes to dry.

I also spent an hour masking off the entire unit when fitted and applied a neat bead of sealant round the entire unit base where it sits on the wing. This will prevent ingress of anything at all (moisture/grit) being thrown up from my Carlos Fandango wheels in future.

Will post some pictures up at weekend but am really pleased with the 'Tonka Toy look!' (hope Red Dot reads this). Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 26th May 2010 11:30am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #32902 25th May 2010 9:30am
lrdxb110

United Arab Emirates 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
^^ Laughing

I could never drill in my defender so I got my stealers to do it for me, very nice of them not to charge labour, ordered the part from local LR dealer in london and shipped it to dubai, saved me paying nearly double the price here Mr. Green Never good at this DIY stuff Rolling with laughter Get some pics on tomorrow. '08 LR Defender 110
'08 Mini Cooper S - Sidewalk
'86 MB 500 SL
'79 MB 450SEL 6.9
Post #32955 25th May 2010 9:46pm
K9F

lrdxb110 wrote:
^^ Laughing I could never drill in my defender so I got my stealers to do it for me, very nice of them not to charge labour,

You were lucky not to get charged! Going rate must be £80 - £100 per hour over here (guessing) and at two hours to fit it becomes double the price of buying it!

With regards to drilling and fitment I do it myself because I know I will do a much better job! After all I would pay attention to detail and do a perfect job! Why? Simply because it's my own vehicle!

Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #32985 26th May 2010 9:46am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
don't forget a RAI isn't water tight like a snorkle Thumbs Up 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #32986 26th May 2010 10:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>