↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > SNORKEL ! Mantec or Land Rover ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
mse wrote:
Just looked - safari have changed the design Big Cry Big Cry 4 bolts each side of the snorkel base around the intake - tightened from the outside - I like

It is indeed undoubtedly alot easier to fit than the SS580 but you will still end up with the four mounting bolts visible and the 'wasted base' shaped to contain the four bolts! For looks the SS580 has no visible mounting bolts and allthough harder to fit looks better in my opinion!
Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #33290 30th May 2010 9:29pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
mse wrote:

I dont take the view that because i have a snorkel its now waterproof - there is more in the engine to worry about. My view is the snorkel is additional safety.

I completely agree. If I'm really going deep enough and for long enough to trouble the RAI then I'll likely have bigger problems - not just mechanical/electrical but more importantly a completely soggy interior! I'm afraid I have to admit that I'm never going to turn my puma into a deep water explorer.

However, having some extra protection will give me the courage to enter water up to around 700mm knowing that I can probably drop the RHS into a dip temporarily and get away with it. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #33300 30th May 2010 11:10pm
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I have the 'Sinatra' style RAI on mine. Last winter I drove through a local ford (there was a crowd so I couldn't turn back, even though I should of!)

The ford was showing 4ft on the depth guage and the bow wave came an inch up the windscreen Shocked

Always had safari's before so thought the mantec would be the same, only to be told it wasn't sealed after I'd done it.....a little bit lucky Whistle
Post #33304 31st May 2010 6:40am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
alantd wrote:
mse wrote:

I dont take the view that because i have a snorkel its now waterproof - there is more in the engine to worry about. My view is the snorkel is additional safety.

I completely agree. If I'm really going deep enough and for long enough to trouble the RAI then I'll likely have bigger problems - not just mechanical/electrical but more importantly a completely soggy interior! I'm afraid I have to admit that I'm never going to turn my puma into a deep water explorer.

However, having some extra protection will give me the courage to enter water up to around 700mm knowing that I can probably drop the RHS into a dip temporarily and get away with it.

Couldnt have put it better Thumbs Up exactly my view

Quote:
I have the 'Sinatra' style RAI on mine. Last winter I drove through a local ford (there was a crowd so I couldn't turn back, even though I should of!)

The ford was showing 4ft on the depth guage and the bow wave came an inch up the windscreen

Always had safari's before so thought the mantec would be the same, only to be told it wasn't sealed after I'd done it.....a little bit lucky

The point is (and i assume) you kept moving. With most of these snorkel situations, as long as you keep moving you will be ok - there will be a depression of water in the engine, the air is being sucked in and the exhaust is blowing out at some good pressure.

When you stop is the actual test of your snorkel Mike
Post #33307 31st May 2010 9:59am
dgardel

Italy 
In my opinion (and for my finance saving) if I'll must cross a river with more than 50-60 cm of water I'll use this one:

or I'll rent this one

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #33311 31st May 2010 11:19am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

K9F wrote:
mse wrote:
Just looked - safari have changed the design Big Cry Big Cry 4 bolts each side of the snorkel base around the intake - tightened from the outside - I like

It is indeed undoubtedly alot easier to fit than the SS580 but you will still end up with the four mounting bolts visible and the 'wasted base' shaped to contain the four bolts! For looks the SS580 has no visible mounting bolts and allthough harder to fit looks better in my opinion!
Dog Thumbs Up Dog

For comparison....

New design SS581 with four mounting bolts visible.

Harder to fit SS580 no bolts visible.

If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #33332 31st May 2010 6:39pm
harveyg77

United Kingdom 
Is the only difference between the 580 and 581 the bolts?
Post #33340 31st May 2010 7:57pm
mse

harveyg77 wrote:
Is the only difference between the 580 and 581 the bolts?

Without knowing exactly the only other change is the top mounting bracket, snorkel seal and clearer instructions

The advantage over 3 hidden bolts with the four is the uniform contact (and tightening) with the wing. So you remove the issue of any deformed wing not giving uniform sealing - which is common. Mike
Post #33341 31st May 2010 8:20pm
K9F

The instructions are more or less exactly the same with the exception of having to drill four smaller holes (with the New model) in comparison to three larger holes with the old for base mounting and three holes in your pillar in comparison to four! Even the airbox sealing pictures are exactly the same.
Uniform tightening can be achieved on both types (old type with a torque wrench if you so wish).
With sufficient sealing and attention to detail any deformities of your wing will be immaterial!
Dog Thumbs Up Dog If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #33349 31st May 2010 9:11pm
mse

K9F wrote:
The instructions are more or less exactly the same with the exception of having to drill four smaller holes (with the New model) in comparison to three larger holes with the old for base mounting and three holes in your pillar in comparison to four! Even the airbox sealing pictures are exactly the same.
Uniform tightening can be achieved on both types (old type with a torque wrench if you so wish).
With sufficient sealing and attention to detail any deformities of your wing will be immaterial!
Dog Thumbs Up Dog

Instructions are certainly more clear than mine - infact its one of the sealing pictures that im refering to.

Im not sure how you would get a torque wrench in, certainly on the top ones I struggled with my hand and a ratchet spanner - agree with the sealing though - although 4 bolts certainly will do better than the 3 Mike
Post #33360 31st May 2010 11:05pm
K9F

mse wrote:
although 4 bolts certainly will do better than the 3

Not for looks they won't and if they're up to the usual disappointing standard of the plated fasteners I got with my Safari they'll be rotting out in a matter of a few weeks. Replace with stainless or buy some prior to fitment would be my advice. The pillar fasteners (self-tappers) were the usual black plated ones and by the photo of the SS581 it looks like that's exactly what you'll be getting with the four mounting bolts too as well as the self-tappers. Your fitting instructions must have been different with regard to the sealing pictures....mine were clear and concise (there's a link to them in my previous post).
The top nuts I found a doddle to get to, the forward one through the wingtop vent and the rear with a suitable ratchet extension and 'uj' type adaptor for the socket. The bottom ones I found a ' Censored muddle' as I didn't remove the wheel arch spat in fear of breaking the plastic securing rivets and I've got digits like pork sausages, my mate Matty got his lithe-like arm in and done 'em up for me! Cheers Matey if you see this!

Laughing Thumbs Up Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #33376 1st Jun 2010 8:51am
mse

The bolts seemed improvement on the disco ones which have been on for 8years and are fine Exclamation (not plated) the screws seemed the same

I did take the wheel eyebrow off and it was easy the bottom 2 - infact it makes sealing very easy - did you do the bottom drain?

You can also get some fantastic waxoyling done Thumbs Up

The top bolt didnt have a great deal of movement at all - putting my hand through the vent was the easy bit - the ABS modulator and Aerial were in the way when i quickly tried, so moved to the ratchet spanner which worked a treat.

What did you torque them too?

I hope you have put your plastic washers on those stainless bolts Whistle Mike
Post #33409 1st Jun 2010 5:32pm
K9F

mse wrote:
What did you torque them too? I hope you have put your plastic washers on those stainless bolts Whistle

The lowest setting on my small torque wrench which is either 15 or 20NM I think. Wet assembled the three securing studs and associated 'nylocks' with as much sealant as I could get stuffed in there.

With regards to plastic washers or anything else I am off to Rustmaster Hatfield this Thursday where all will be totally encased in Waxoyl 'by two technicians in a five hour process.' Will be staying on site to watch process being done and shall take photos, so I think I will be able to sleep soundly in my bed with regards to corrosion, for the foreseeable future anyway.

Post #33418 1st Jun 2010 6:22pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
It was mentioned on maybe this or another thread, about the RAI affecting fuel consumption ??

After 4000 miles in 2 weeks,,,2 x 09 year 110 Pumas, same speed, same route, same roads, same rack, same roof tent, same size and make of Mt tyres etc etc, but one with a Mantec RAI and one without , difference was aprox 4lts of fuel extra, per 40-45lts in the RAI Puma, over the one without, and that extra was put down to the Bas remap fitted to the 110 without the intake ?

Plus the amount of dust etc in the air filter was considerably less with the RAI California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #33530 2nd Jun 2010 6:18pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
TJ101 wrote:
It was mentioned on maybe this or another thread, about the RAI affecting fuel consumption ??

After 4000 miles in 2 weeks,,,2 x 09 year 110 Pumas, same speed, same route, same roads, same rack, same roof tent, same size and make of Mt tyres etc etc, but one with a Mantec RAI and one without , difference was aprox 4lts of fuel extra, per 40-45lts in the RAI Puma, over the one without, and that extra was put down to the Bas remap fitted to the 110 without the intake ?

Plus the amount of dust etc in the air filter was considerably less with the RAI

Wow! That's what I call a controlled experiment Wink One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #33745 4th Jun 2010 11:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>