↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > I fancy a 911, advice required please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Print this entire topic · 
Cakey

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Keep thinking about buying another porsche , but prefer the older ones.
Just concerned how reliable they will be .
Post #315915 14th Mar 2014 2:17pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
^^You're worried about reliability, yet you own a Defender? Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #315967 14th Mar 2014 6:00pm
lukev01

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I have been following this thread with interest.

Now think I would be very interested in an early 997 model since I don't like the headlights on the 996.

But.... which version to go for?

Is the 4 wheel drive of the Carrera 4/4S a must have? Would I be able to drive one in the winter without this since this would be the daily drive if I go for one.

Or should I go all out for a Turbo....if so, why?

All opinions welcome. Thumbs Up 1970 Series 2A 88"
Post #349935 6th Aug 2014 3:20pm
CarlinAbz

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
My first 911 was a gen II 997 Carrera S manual. So two wheel drive and 385bhp with limited ground clearance. I live in Scotland and driving when the temp was below 5c was interesting and to be frank best avoided (hence the Defender). Also to get into the car the driver window has to drop by a few mm which happens when you pull the handle....BUT when the car is covered in ice the window does not drop and you cannot get in. Solutions - (1) lots of deicer and stomping around in the cold, (2) stick in garage but I was too lazy, (3) hot water but then normally fell over on skating rink that i had just created or (4) leave on drive and take Defender which was my favoured option.

I did use it as a daily driver apart front the really bad winter days and very very reliable, MPG better than the defender and petrol cheaper than diesel so more economical!!!! Servicing was 500 and then 800 and needed every two years so i spent about 1,500 over four years on servicing and about that again on tyres.

I changed it recently for a 991 C4S with PDK. Absolute blast although not much quicker than the 997. I can bore folks for hours on Porsche so happy to answer questions on my experiences. I looked at Aston, Maserati, Jaguar, Audi R8 but could not get away from the 911. IMO nothing came close for the price.
Post #349937 6th Aug 2014 3:39pm
CarlinAbz

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
now I worry that Martin will move my post to 911 owners forum!!!
Post #349939 6th Aug 2014 3:41pm
DLK

Netherlands 1986 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Zambezi Silver
As far as i know the early 997 can have some issues with the engine. IMS and other problems, look it up!

The turbo versions i believe have the Metzger engine and these engines are stronger and do not suffer from the IMS issues.

a 997 turbo or 2nd generation 997 targa 4S would be my preference. But i am no were near bored with my 993 for now Thumbs Up
Post #349941 6th Aug 2014 3:41pm
Hudwinker

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Tamar Blue
It is all down to personal preference. I changed from a 993 targa tiptronic to a 997 C2s manual, black on black with sports chrono on a 57 plate. I took the view that the purist would always favour the 2 wheel over 4 wheel drive and the 's' is a far better spec and hence will hold its value. It is important to get one that has been looked after and not abused so pay that little bit more for low mileage, good history car. Like defenders, people do like to change things on them particularly the lights to upgrade to LED and make the earlier ones look like gen 2 cars together with alloys. This is okay but anything else is a step to far.

Turbos are generally abused unless you pay a good premium for an early model and in my opinion they 2S looks much better and has less to go wrong. Happy hunting.
Post #349944 6th Aug 2014 3:48pm
Jonno1968

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Buy a good warranty whatever you go for if its second hand. I did the 911 s4 with a very low mileage. Every now and again i drove it hard, as you do, and blew the engive up! The bill was astronomic as you would expect. But luckily was covered under warranty that i took out. Be prepared for expensive repairs if it goes wrong. Personally, i soon hot bored of the power, and also felt a bit of a girl in it. Het far more looks in my defender so the porsche was sold!
Post #349946 6th Aug 2014 4:11pm
LiftedDisco

Whilst I appreciate that this is an old thread, I need a couple more posts to start things off and thought this might be a worthy share for you all to drool over...

Nick at Early 911 does some amazing work...

The link takes you to my Father-in-Laws car - unfortunately, he was the one who popped it into the garage 'just to do a couple of bits of work' and there it languished for about 10 years before he up and moved to Devon.

Not having space, the Porsche had to go - Nick bought this as a 'totally original but non-running' vehicle and then did the work on it for an order, taking it back to bare metal and the original apple green colour - stunning...

There are a few pages on the rebuild - worth a read!

http://www.early911.co.uk/html/1972_911s.html
Post #352102 17th Aug 2014 12:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 8 <12345678