↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > LRM and mike manifold
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bga86

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
LRM and mike manifold
Well guys, got home and my monthly copy of lrm was waiting for me, happy days! Sat down to eat my tea and flicked through the first few pages until I got to my favourite part 'mike manifold tales from a country garage'. This section has been a particular favourite of mine as it is easy to relate to some of the issues mike and the apprentice have to deal with, however lately I have been noticing hints in the articles that 'don't quite fit'.
So I eagerly started reading all about how mike has had a batch of defenders with engine faults and suddenly realised that whoever typed this up doesn't have a clue what they are on about and that it is all fiction! Firstly, it says that they had a 10 year old farm vehicle turn up with the 2.4 puma engine in that was seized due to an oil leak from the vacuum pump, this is impossible as lr didn't start using the puma engine until 2007 so the very oldest 2,4's are still only 7 years old. Later in the article he talks about a puma defender that's been bought in to sell to a customer that needs an egr valve, but he can't use the one from the other puma engine as it's the earlier type and they don't fit, all puma egr valves are the same for the 2.4!!!!
I realise that this may seem like a pointless rant, but if you're going to make up articles to put them in a Land Rover magazine, at least make the articles believable by using the correct facts in them!!

Evil or Very Mad
Post #351450 13th Aug 2014 7:47pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Even more pointless as you're wrong Very Happy

.....so I've finished my health session for tonight now and thought I best expand on my above comments ;

I believe some have upgraded from older engines to the tdci (or am I wrong and have only read about the old dash being upgraded but not the engine)

And with respect to the egr there were at least 2 versions of the egr on the 2.4 (not saying they both wouldn't fit - I don't know).......

So I see your point and kind of agree with you up giving Mike the benefits of the doubt he may be right.

Conversely I find it very interesting in some films and books how much research goes into some to make them as realistic as possible often with stuff that I suspect 99.9% of the audience wouldn't know any better.

Thumbs Up
Post #351458 13th Aug 2014 8:13pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
It's been pointed out in the past that it's made up! Razz An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #351467 13th Aug 2014 8:58pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #351512 14th Aug 2014 4:43am
custom90

United Kingdom 
There is two different EGR valve variations the earlier having slight variations to the latter.
Both do the same job and fit but like slightly different.
I cannot be sure but I'd imagine the differences are improvements to the newest ones.
I notice with my new one compared to the old that it behaves slightly differently.
I.e. Even though it's brand new it doesn't always do a cleaning cycle like the old one did every time.
I think they are improved but still 100% backwards compatible just my view anyway.
Post #351529 14th Aug 2014 9:01am
bga86

2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Caterham as Steve has said there are 2 types but they will both fit!! And as far as I am aware no one has put a 2.4 into a td5, not saying it can't be done but I've not heard of anyone doing so. I do enjoy reading it but sometimes the blatant falseness of done of the comments irritates me!
(I need to get out more Laughing )
Post #351530 14th Aug 2014 9:05am
martinfiattech

England 
There are two different types of egr that will fit either, they changed them for all fitments.
You can tell the difference by looking at the rear where the electrical connector is.

I think one has a sealed back on it and the other you could open up to inspect the internals.

As for day to day garage life mikes manifold is a bit warped. The majority of people i meet on a daily basis leave a lot to be desiered, as they think we should be glad to work on there rolling dustbin of a vehicle.
I often wonder what their houses look like.
They most certainly do not like to be told if your not happy with the amount of work, cost of repairs needed there`s a door behind you and a bus stop across the road.
One customer did not take that well !! Excuse the spelling I`am better with spanners and wires.
Post #351969 16th Aug 2014 6:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1