↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear Work Light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Vizsla

England 
I got most of the way through rigging this up following Craig's really helpful Thumbs Up schematic but just wanted to check something.

i bought the switches with inbuilt LED's and its the first time I have used them. Just wanted to check the wiring of those switches before connecting. The switches have three connections on the rear marked '+', 'A' and '-'

The rear switch I have wired direct from pin 85 on the relay to pole 'A' on the switch and then i have run two wires from the switch ('+" and '-') to the second (identical) switch I am using at the front. I assume I connect the two leads from the rear switch to the corresponding '+' and '-' terminals on the front switch (but better check my assumption is right).

This next stage is where I'm now unclear. I assume I connect another lead from a suitable earth point near the front switch to the '-' terminal (therefore it has two wires now connected) and take a third lead and run it from the positive feed to the light (out of pin 87 on the relay) straight to the terminal marked 'A' on the front switch?

I have rigged everything up and its looking good - just want to check this last bit before connecting as I don't want to blow anything Embarassed
Post #263487 3rd Sep 2013 7:44pm
keith

Scotland 
I don't know why so much wiring , stripping and work is required when the lamps could simply have been wired to the rear window demister switch . I have never used the demister in 25yrs . An easy option I have used for years , with a warning light in the display to let you know when on .
Post #263505 3rd Sep 2013 8:16pm
Vizsla

England 
Well, worked it out and have the switches independently working as they should. Its not as i thought ^^^^

Just a problem with a noisy relay to sort now - think I have a dud so will swap out and try again. At least I know the circuit has integrity Very Happy
Post #263786 4th Sep 2013 8:00pm
Vizsla

England 
Keith, I see the simplicity of your approach but with two dogs the rear screen demister is used in our car a lot in winter. Damp dogs soon mist the screen even with AC. Dog Dog
Post #263790 4th Sep 2013 8:06pm
Vizsla

England 
Quick update - if you use the relay mentioned above (ebay link) be prepared for its poor quality. I swapped it for a much better one from Maplins for only £3.50 and its quiet.
Post #263973 5th Sep 2013 3:58pm
Tribord

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Zermatt Silver
keith wrote:
I don't know why so much wiring , stripping and work is required when the lamps could simply have been wired to the rear window demister switch . I have never used the demister in 25yrs . An easy option I have used for years , with a warning light in the display to let you know when on .

Is there rear window demister wiring on a 110 DC that can be picked up somewhere and used for a work light, or something else?
Post #264097 5th Sep 2013 9:32pm
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi Vizsla,

Sorry, only just caught up with the post. Glad you worked it out though! Thumbs Up Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #264170 6th Sep 2013 8:22am
keith

Scotland 
Tribord wrote:
keith wrote:

Is there rear window demister wiring on a 110 DC that can be picked up somewhere and used for a work light, or something else?
Yes . Run anything you like from that switch if its to be used at the rear of vehicle . Make sure you wire through a relay .
Post #264321 6th Sep 2013 8:31pm
Tribord

I had a look earlier, but the only spare wires I could find were the black/purple pair that others have used for a power socket, and two pairs of speaker cables (!). Should the rear demister wires definitely be on a DC? What colour are they and where do they appear?
Post #264332 6th Sep 2013 9:09pm
PaulMc

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 2.5 TD HT Arles Blue
Wiring for the rear window demister goes through the connector junction C0704/C1102 -

Click image to enlarge

The rear window demister live WB (White with Black trace) is in cavity 1

The earth B (Black) is in cavity 6; but, this is common with the rear wiper and high level stop lamp -

(Connector 'face' shown)

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Paul.
1989 Arles Blue 2.5TD 110 Hardtop
1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'
Post #264342 6th Sep 2013 9:44pm
keith

Scotland 
Nicely described Paul .
Post #264353 6th Sep 2013 9:56pm
Tribord

Paul, thank you for the detail.
Unfortunately I don't have those connectors or wires on my DC. I also looked underneath at the back (under the plastic shelf) but the only connector there is for the towbar electrics Sad
Post #265637 11th Sep 2013 2:51pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
My 2007 DC had all the wiring in place for the heated rear window except for the switch, even the relay was already fitted. I altered the feed to the switch to a permanent live and connected a pair of LED worklights at the back.

I suspect that the unnecessary wiring has now been deleted from the current DC builds. Big Cry
Post #265650 11th Sep 2013 3:17pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Yep - I think there is another post somewhere but back of DCPUs now look like this:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Tribord wrote:
I also looked underneath at the back (under the plastic shelf) but the only connector there is for the towbar electrics Sad

I can't quite place where you are looking?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #265674 11th Sep 2013 4:16pm
Tribord

Yes, My 2011 DC is similar to those pictures, except I also have pairs of speaker cables and the purple/black pair. So it looks as though the demister and wiper cables have been deleted. Mind you, it is a lot harder to access given I have a chequer plate lining...
When I mentioned the 'plastic tray', I was referring to underneath the vehicle, where the cables feed into your photos. There is a flat piece of plastic you can pull back to see how the cables run adjacent to the cross member, up into the tub.
Post #265714 11th Sep 2013 5:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>