↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Which roof tent ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
satcomjets

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Alpine White
James Baroud - Tuff Trek Tents - oh and which rack.
Hi Guys

Looking at RTing my 110 utility mainly for short stops, mainly 1 - 2 nighters, but also looking to the future on longer trips.

I think given everything I have looked at HM stargazer seems to be my favourite choice with the annexe. However as anyone used a James Baroud - (French designed made in Portugal) - they mainly seem to do HT tents very well, I am set on a soft tent for the space up top, they look very well executed. Also it would be nice to support a UK business, yes they are new and yes they are young, but I quite like the look of Tuff Trek tents - any experience anyone?

Also which rack, I used to have a LR G4 - way to heavy and a bit naff TBH - any recommendations on a good RR would be appreciated.

Many thanks 110 Puma MY 12
JE Engineering Fettled
Post #445656 13th Aug 2015 8:58am
camelman

United Kingdom 
I got sick of the extra weight and height up top with the roof top tent.
A pop top can be bought and fitted for a little bit more than a decent roof tent and gives you standing room in the truck and only minimal extra height and weight. 
Post #996246 14th Jun 2023 2:38pm
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Another way you cold go is for a side awning and sides.

Cons
Not as waterproof in a big storm
No protection from tigers
No point if you already use some of the ground area for something else when camping
Bigger footprint when stopped - you cant erect the awning in a car parking space

Pros
Cheap
Light
Easier to put up and take down
You can still get under barriers
No roof rack needed so no need to keep taking it on and off
Bigger
You can use it for cooking and eating during the day

We had one in addition to an eazi awn and would often just pitch the side when we arrived somewhere for an overnight.

I have to declare an interest in having our old one for sale !

Trevor
Post #996248 14th Jun 2023 2:47pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Re: James Baroud - Tuff Trek Tents - oh and which rack.
satcomjets wrote:
Also it would be nice to support a UK business, yes they are new and yes they are young, but I quite like the look of Tuff Trek tents - any experience anyone?

We've got a 1.4m Tuff Trek TT-02 Ruggedized on our trailer, which we're very pleased with. I particularly like the 'Ruggedized' spec with it's slightly larger poles and thicker canvas.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #996302 14th Jun 2023 9:21pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
LRA,out of interest, how much time / cost has your trailer build come to roughly? 
Post #996303 14th Jun 2023 9:23pm
LandRoverAnorak

You ask the most awkward questions Laughing

I've probably spent a couple of thousand on it, allowing for the profit that we made when we changed the tent from the larger Howling Moon that it came with. To be clear though, I haven't built this from scratch. We bought it ready-built for just under £9k. The money that I've spent on it since has been for a wide variety of stuff from wheels and tyres (nearly £800 alone) to nuts and bolts and everything in between.

As for time spent on it, I haven't really added it up but it's safe to say far more than I expected. From the outset, I could see lots of details that could be improved and I have completed some of those, but I didn't bank on some of the repairs that have been necessary or the need to basically re-wire the thing, which has been a slow and laborious process. I'm nearly at the end of that process though and I'm very pleased that I've done so, as not only will it be safer and more reliable, but I've been able to build in lots of extra functionality. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #996317 14th Jun 2023 10:38pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the info.
I'm asking mainly because LRBits are now doing an overland conversion to fit to your own Penman or Sankey chassis starting at just under £5k.

https://www.lrbits.co.uk/expedition-traile...an-chassis 
Post #996320 14th Jun 2023 10:53pm
LandRoverAnorak

That's an interesting idea, not dissimilar to the offering from MyWay a few years ago for the Sankey. By the time it's kitted out, it wouldn't be too dissimilar to what ours has cost either, which makes me feel a bit better Laughing Darren

Post #996531 16th Jun 2023 8:58pm
Kiter25

Scotland 
Tuff trek overland mk2 for us, great bit of kit and far easier to use than the previous canvas one we had previously. The awning attaches directly to the tent so all comes off as one. Downside is it is very heavy, have set up an electric winch in the garage to lift it on and off.

New defender is now gone and it will be getting mounted on a metalian overland trailer which is on its way from SA.

Click image to enlarge
 23my p400e x dynamic hse, fuji white, towing pack, comfort and convenience, e diff, activity key, 3 zone climate, cold climate and a host of accessories. Now gone.
Post #996573 17th Jun 2023 8:49am
chek

Switzerland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Havana
Wish I had a garage with a clear height like yours, my life would be easier. Thumbs Up
Post #996977 20th Jun 2023 8:24pm
snowtiger

Germany 
Test fitted our new RTT yesterday. Fits like a glove to the Defender Wink

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1001359 23rd Jul 2023 8:40am
Ianb

United Kingdom 
I feel rather than starting a new thread for this, I might as well tag onto this thread. We're looking for a roof top tent, clamshells seem to be some of the better ones for easy erection ( Laughing ) but if we're expeditioning, then we need roof rack space for "shtuff" which means a fold out one might do us better as it won't take up the entire roof. Next problem however, is our roof rack is the basket style (please school me on the correct terminology as I'm trying to learn quick), so I don't know that will work with a foldy out style one.

Thoughts welcome.. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Post #1017824 8th Dec 2023 5:22pm
Kiter25

Scotland 
Having had both, hands down the hard shell tent is far better IMHO. Our first experience of the fold out was 5 weeks in Iceland and it was quite challenging at times ( packing away in the rain and noisy during high winds). Have to say the subsequent trip to Spain was easier with much better weather.

Current set up is a tuff trek overland mk2, absolute doddle to put up and down, literally minutes. Far better in highland weather conditions too. Downside it is bloody heavy to take on and off, electric winch in the garage to lift it into the rafters was a god send. There is scope to add roof cross bars but you would need to watch the weight of anything going up top plus its more height etc.

My solution has been to invest in an off road trailer, tent stays on and just about all our camping kit is stored in the trailer.

Click image to enlarge
 23my p400e x dynamic hse, fuji white, towing pack, comfort and convenience, e diff, activity key, 3 zone climate, cold climate and a host of accessories. Now gone.
Post #1017846 8th Dec 2023 9:50pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
im not a fan of filling the roof full of stuff ,too much weight in the wrong place for off road work.

i too have tried the trailer route and it did work well for us but long sold and we now run a mix of ground tents and a roof tent.

the big fold out ones are good if your not moving very day but we run a maggi hard shell and its up and down in no time at all. good in bad weather and has a comfy mattress. 2 folk can lift it and move it around when its not on the truck.

a lot of it depends on what you plan to with the truck.

maybe rent a couple of the ones on the market before you splash the cash
Post #1017848 8th Dec 2023 10:15pm
Ianb

United Kingdom 
Long term will be a pop roof, but thats future plans. Short term is winter expedition with roof tent and the ability to camp inside if needed. We will duct air from the diesel heater to the tent, but we also have some great personal gear so that helps with warmth.

I don't think the aim will be to take up anvil collecting and carry them on the roof, however boxes with some less important gear wouldn't go amiss.

I'd go down the side rails but those are a smidge pricey to start with and then you have to have the right stuff to hang off them etc. The Yeti - 110 Camper https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic90308.html
https://www.youtube.com/@YetitheDefender
Post #1017849 8th Dec 2023 10:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>