↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > 270 self supporting awning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
270 self supporting awning
Thinking about adding a 270 self supporting awning to my camp set up.
There is of course a wide range of products at different price points available.
Any recommendations?
Post #1003064 4th Aug 2023 9:45pm
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
I have an ostrich wing 270, I mostly went for this one because it’s longer than most other 270 awnings, 2.7 metres v 2.4 metres, and I have windows where the shorter ones would need a bracket. I had to attach directly to the side of my defender as I have a pop top that doesn’t allow an awning to attach to it. It’s really well built and solid, I could hang off it if I wanted to, my only criticisms are it’s actually only 267*, it just doesn’t open up fully, I need to have a look and see what the issue is, the other issue is the rear bracket point is pre attached and can’t really be moved, which means you have to attach it exactly 150 mm from where the bar will go across the back of the vehicle, this means you have no sideways tolerance when fitting, I just assumed, (yes I know🙄) that I’d be able to attach both brackets and then attach the awning to them and then slide it to fit where needed, alas not.

My advice is to search all the options, look at the plan diagrams for them, look at the sizes and patterns and see which one suits you best, they do vary quite a lot. As do prices.

Also consider do you really want a 270, they are heavy and need quite a bit of space around you, there’s been plenty of places I’ve camped where I didnt have room to put it up where I wished I just had a normal awning on the side.

Also they really don’t like wind, any hint of it and mine gets put away. It has rings on each bar to attaché guy ropes and comes with one pole so you can tie it down, but I’ve never bothered.

Also each section is the same length so if you buy one wall piece it can attach wherever you want, they are zipped rather than Velcro’d you can buy extra poles that just clip in for more stability and an LED light to fit the awning.
Post #1003073 5th Aug 2023 12:09am
steveww

Thanks for a very detailed reply.

I already have a side and rear awning. It's a lot of faff with poles and guys putting them up and taking them down.

When camped we tend to sit at the side and access stuff at the back, so a 270 awning would provide complete cover.

You went for the Ostrich Wing which is on the large side. The one I've been looking at are only 2.3m. They would take up the same amount of space as my current individual set up.
Post #1003200 6th Aug 2023 5:42pm
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
I guess it’s the age old quandary of the grass being greener on other side, having bought a 270 I wonder if a normal awning would be better and you the opposite, I like my awning and have no intention of changing it, but it isn’t perfect, space around you is definitely an issue with it.
Post #1003207 6th Aug 2023 6:37pm
yobbie

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green

Click image to enlarge

I have a Alucab 270 awning that is really quick to set up and pack, in fact so easy we'll use it just to have lunch under. But if you do decide to go ahead and get one make sure you cover the Alucab cut outs in the arms or it will make holes in the canvas! When I told Alucab about this they offered to me a replacement canvas for £500!!!

Click image to enlarge
Post #1017236 3rd Dec 2023 12:48pm
steveww

Having looked at all the usual suspects, the LRO show was great for this. I've ordered one from The Bush Company, should be here after Christmas.

Certainly not the least expensive option but it's built like a brick outhouse with the option to easily attach side wall(s). I'll post updates when we're out on our adventures in the spring.
Post #1017245 3rd Dec 2023 1:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1