↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > The Caterham Scale of Frustration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>
Print this entire topic · 
martinfiattech

England 
Thanks I wondered what it was all about, I`ve always riveted to old tranny van doors to hide the rot. Very Happy
Post #312717 1st Mar 2014 9:51pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I have know doubt there's an element of paranoia here but I'm curious.....its been sorted but I do wonder how the following items came to be and whether anyone else has had similar......

- seat frames and after about 6 months the paint is flaking off is big pieces....steel frames and brakets rusty underneath?

- heat shield braket (see below phot) bolt was missing which I understand isn't unusal but I seem to recall this was fairly early days of ownership (again no big deal). what suprises me though is the fact that looking at the mark on the heatshield support it would appear there was a bolt there at some point......yet when I tried to replace this both the hole in the manifold and the heatshield support didn't line up. I therefore had to loosen the turbo / manifold to re-align the braket to line up with the manifold and then replace / fit the bolt.

suprised?
Post #317466 20th Mar 2014 12:13pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Not if your past Defender ownership experiences have anything to go by Wink

Seat frame securing screws invariably go rusty PDQ. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #317514 20th Mar 2014 4:36pm
Caterham

Mog. I hope u r well?

It's the same def.....

Not talking about the screws.....the seat / seat frames were replaced Very Happy

Just got home and Def running properly ruff Big Cry

Unfortunately I don't know enough about engines to understand what can cause it to turn off nice and sweet one day and the other not????
Post #317524 20th Mar 2014 5:41pm
schuee

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
1 for the 110 some minor problems, though nothing to worry about.

0 for Duckworth Boston, always helpful and willing to investigate and resolve any ongoing problems Very Happy
Post #317639 20th Mar 2014 10:40pm
Caterham

I'm probably jumping to conclusions here but......

when I had the ECM replaced I recall them having problems trying to talk to it - eventually they sorted it.
I've pretty much all along thought there was an intermittent electrical problem with the engine - mostly to do with the turbo.

so the other day I had some trickery done with the obd and it turned out one of the ecm fuses had blown (not sure why yet but it wasn't immediately obvious)

since them it's been running a treat (to be fair it had been for a couple of days leading up to having the work done and I wondered if it was the slightly richer than usual mix of Redex) - I just wonder if the fuse has been a problem for a long time - partly blown - high resistance ?

- so other than consumables the only thing at the moment that appears to be causing me a problem is clutch actuation ie the pedal - sometimes lovely and light / smooth and other times it's heavy and creaking (not a simple little squeak).

while things are as they are all I can say is Bow down the smooth pickup along with the almost undetectable gear changes, and acceleration between 1700 - 2300rpm is brilliant Thumbs Up (450Nm Very Happy )

all this with the ability to do almost 40 mpg in a defender is what I dreamt of when I bought said Def.

back to above problem (the clutch). I've tried on several occasions to grease it etc - if I decide to go to the next 'level' ie replace the clutch pedal / box, whats involved?

many thanks,

Caterham.
Post #466903 27th Oct 2015 8:53am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey

Surely this will solve all your problems?
Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #466994 27th Oct 2015 2:29pm
Caterham

ouch.

nope. things are good.

in fact it's been fine all morning, both on the way to work and even now while it's sat outside the office.

not only that I sleep much better at night since having my Very Happy smart new 'level' on security fitted to it. no more looking outside through the night to check she's still there Thumbs Up
Post #466996 27th Oct 2015 2:32pm
defender4

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
What, a whole morning?!
Post #467038 27th Oct 2015 5:42pm
Caterham

Yes. A Whole.

And almost ALL evening too. Very Happy
Post #467094 27th Oct 2015 8:46pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Tick tock Twisted Evil

Wink Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #467095 27th Oct 2015 8:52pm
Caterham

Razz

Thumbs Up best wishes Steve.

Coming home this evening I could hardly believe how good things were. Gear change were not only silky smooth but also effortlessly easy?
Going slowly in first and second is smooth (no kangarooing) . Lifting off is'nt lurchy Smile

Absolutely brill. It's either to do with the obd / Ecm elecs or the clutch pedal which for some reason seems to be operating smoothly and quietly?

Thumbs Up
Post #467099 27th Oct 2015 8:58pm
thor44

2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
My 90's definitely a 0. Loving it as it was day one after nearly one year of ownership now. There's just one problem: I'm having a hard time playing it cool while driving and trying not to look like a complete coward with a grin from one ear to the other all the time. Mr. Green

I guess the only thing that can ruin your happiness with the Defender ownership is a wrong attitude. Getting excited about the first water ingress over night and enjoying the first non-clunky gear shifts was a great fun for me.

Apart from a little issue with one of the wheel bearings which I'm going to have checked next week it did a splendid job for me and I wouldn't have swapped it for any car on the planet. Even the 1.600km of motorway on my last trip to Norway were a pure pleasure and I didn't bother cruising along with only 50 mph. Thumbs Up

Sometimes I'm a little twisted between my mighty 90 and an imaginary 110 but to be honest, all Defenders are equally beautiful and practical and each of them has its strenghts and weaknesses.

My dealer, being an official Land Rover representative is a solid 3 I guess. They are trying pretty hard to satisfy all my needs and they're being very helpful but sometimes I have the feeling that they don't know Defenders like they probably should.
For example the dealer answered my question if I had to rust proof it with the following statement "No, of course not. The defender being factory new and as it is mainly made out of aluminium doesn't need any kind of rust proofing.". And in addition to that he also told me that the Goodyear MT/Rs should do just fine in winter, and to be clear, we're speaking here about a real winter with snow, ice and all that stuff (South Tyrolean Alps).

Attached a picture of my beloved one from 2 weeks earlier. Thanks to defender2.net and other nice landy-maniacs fully rust proofed and luckily with some pretty neat Nokian Hakkapeliitta instead of the MT/Rs on. Whistle

Click image to enlarge
Post #467838 30th Oct 2015 2:19pm
Caterham

Steve the tick is still tocking Laughing

my 200+ mile round trip was almost faultless. there was a we glitch for about an hour where injector noise was back and gear changes weren't so easy.

clearly I've got a re-map but suspect my following description will apply to all.....

when changing gear do you get like a little buzz from the engine as if there's a tiny amount of over boost (I would guess its for the moment where the boost rate / actuator adjusts things and for this moment the engine is silky smooth like a little electric motor)?

well when mines like that it's a dream to change gear and the buss / induction noise sound great (not load just a nice little buzz).....

problem is it's not always like this. I've been meaning to do it for ages - check the wiring to the turbo to see if there's a slightly high resistance due to a poor / intermittent fault?

any other ideas?
Post #467852 30th Oct 2015 3:14pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
As above!

If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #467916 30th Oct 2015 7:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 8 <12345678>