↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > The Caterham Scale of Frustration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
the time has come where I could take no more. I get rid of the def tomorrow and pick up the new motor.

I won't be leaving the fold as such but clearly with the new motor .........
Post #677773 11th Jan 2018 9:14pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I just know, somehow, that with your new Defender in someway Caterham you will discover a squeak, a rattle, a strange noise coming from the axle, gearbox, diffs, brakes, engine, windscreen wipers, you will be unsure as to whether the lights are as bright as they should be, is the horn as loud as everyone else's, the engine does not sound quite right at 2000 revs. I am sure the steering is out etc etc etc Laughing

And so it will start all over again with a new thread Caterhams scale of Frustration part 2 Rolling with laughter

Anyway good luck with the new vehicle Thumbs Up Thumbs Up For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #677968 12th Jan 2018 6:31pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Caterham

if you are really selling I would suggest you ask Martin to remove all your posts any potential buyer that sees them may be put off just a bit. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #677978 12th Jan 2018 7:08pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Caterham wrote:
the time has come where I could take no more. I get rid of the def tomorrow and pick up the new motor.

I won't be leaving the fold as such but clearly with the new motor .........

Caterham, what’s the new motor? Another Defender, or something else?
Eric You never actually own a Defender. You merely look after it for the next generation.
http://youtu.be/yVRlSsJwD0o
https://youtu.be/vmPr3oTHndg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GtzTT9Pdl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABqKPz28e6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLZ49Jce_n0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsz_ilQYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tMHiX9lSw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dxwjPuHIV7I
https://vimeo.com/201482507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSixqL0iyHw
Post #678003 12th Jan 2018 8:13pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
No good deleting his posts because he gets 500 miles to a tank the best mpg of any defender ever produced that alone will sell the defender regardless off anything else Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #678016 12th Jan 2018 8:53pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I wondered why he'd started another thread saying how wonderful it was working now Rolling with laughter Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #678025 12th Jan 2018 9:20pm
nitram17

I thought Caterham didnt have a scale of frustration as it is always turned up to eleven! Laughing
Post #678028 12th Jan 2018 9:38pm
Caterham

Rolling with laughter

yep replacement arrived. a 1.6 diesel VW Polo.

def hasn't gone, just been put into semi retirement now she's done 100k.

It didn't take long for the 'issues' to start on the VW and I don't know where to start re fixing it - it is by far the most boring car I have ever driven by a long way.

oh and the cd player won't play! Big Cry but at least I have dab.

Thumbs Up
Post #678349 14th Jan 2018 12:28pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Semi retirement? How bizarre...
Post #678354 14th Jan 2018 1:00pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
100k miles is pretty good in 7 yrs mines just done 21k , although my BM does 10k pa with very few issues in the past 10 years, having 2 cars to use is definitely a bonus especially if ones a Def DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #678369 14th Jan 2018 2:08pm
Caterham

Very Happy
early assessments suggests the Polo is doing twice as many miles to the gallon Mr. Green

and is not nearly half as much fun to be in Sad ..... unless you're looking for city centre parking Thumbs Up
Post #678383 14th Jan 2018 4:32pm
andrewlandy

Austria 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Alpine White
Can I Rant? Thanks!
Car = 9.

Dealer = 5.

My fellow brummies at LR = 3.

This forum = 1

After growing up as a kid in Damson Wood (solihull) and watching these things go out on transporters most days it was my dream to be able to buy a brand spanker. Dreamed of taking the family to Africa at some point and passing it on to my boys in 20 years.

I have had a Disco 3 and RR Sport prior, and both were OKish, but they had their (expensive) problems. I though the defender would be a rock. Trouble free with my low milage use. Even an investment.

Turns out I was very wrong. I don't care about the driving position, the noise, the (lack of) comfort etc etc,. I dont even mind the ghost in the back who keeps rolling down the back window. I expected all of it and love it for what it is. Getting stopped by the Austrian old boys at petrol stations and having them compliment the car is a great feeling. But boy do we pay for it. Dont get me wrong, I love the Defender. But it is the dream of the defender that I love because owning one is a bloody nightmare. And especially so if you are not mechanically minded.

Its now for sale and I am sad. 26K over first 3 years,. Stored in dry. So far.

Rust around windscreen - Fixed under warranty.
Seal on Swivel Joint leaking (badly) - 1 month out of warranty but LR agreed to do it after a fight.
Steering Servo leaking oil - Not badly but enough - Again LR agreed warranty repair, out of warranty. Bow down
Broken air vent (after touching it) on passenger wing - Ill glue the thing back on. Embarassed

Now I have this damned creaking under the passenger seat (LHD so drivers seat in UK).

I just know more and more stuff is coming and reading this forum, it seems my problems are just the beginning,.

Yes I guess I expected to much. And now its my everyday car I probably notice it more and expect more reliability and that maybe my fault. But I cannot go on. As I say it is for sale now and i am buying a new HiLiux.

Big Cry
Post #757902 11th Feb 2019 8:10am
Caterham

I really do feel your pain and there is simply no excuse for producing such a poor quality bit of kit that in my books barely scraps through as being fit for purpose due to the many years of cost cutting.

that said I'm so glad I kept the faith. I figured that so long as everything that goes wrong is put right 'properly' or even upgraded then eventually once everything has broken as I'm sure it will then the finished item should be pretty sound.

It took me 8 years and 95k miles to get things sorted but I'm properly happy with things now. Yes sure there's still things to work on but a more leisurely pace. ( between you and I it very nearly brought me to tears once of twice Whistle ) and yep the idea of setting it a light crossed my mind more than once but as I say above I'm really glad I kept with it.

once it's gone it's gone and chances are you'll never get another and yes granted there's other stuff out there that'll do what you need it to do but I bet they'll never give the same satisfaction / feeling you get from the Defender (when it's working) and that's probably why you bought it in the first place.

good luck whatever - just remember whatever you replace it with there's no guarantees it'll be trouble free.
Post #757995 11th Feb 2019 5:13pm
andrewlandy

Austria 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Alpine White
Rant Over
Thanks Caterham. I don't want to sell it really, so I hear you loud and clear.

I will only know when I get an offer and I think i'm keeping the price high subconsciously..... Whistle

Thought about a few mods (remap, new road tyres to replace the MTRs, bucket seats, full screen nav with bluetooth etc etc) bit that wont change the long list of faults to come and I'm not a rich man. So I think I may actually sell it, but ill only really know when i get an offer. Thud

ps....i thought you sold up and got a polo? I was actually looking at a cheap panda 4x4 to run along side for the daily routine trips but the wife has point blank refused.
Post #758018 11th Feb 2019 6:46pm
Caterham

I did get a Polo and hence the mileage I now do in the defender is next to nothing. I reckon the money I save in fuel pretty pays for the Polo (it was second hand).

having a second car you appreciate the 'fun' car (defender) so much more. it's running really really well, better than it ever has. so the only really big job I need to do is keep on top of the rust. thank fully most of that is either the chassis (x-member) or bit out of sight ie covered by rubber seals etc to potentially I can do it myself but rarely have sufficient spare time, BUT I really am chuffed now to have hung onto it.

clearly you need to do what is right for yourself and whatever that is it'll be the right choice based on the here and now. granted if you sell it you may live to regret it but clearly you've got your reasons for selling it.

personally if you like the idea of a defender etc and thefts are too much of an issue I'd suggest you seriously consider hanging on to it. almost anything else you buy is going to cost you a whole lot when you consider the purchase price and the sale value in 5 / 10 years or whenever Thumbs Up
Post #758020 11th Feb 2019 7:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 8 <12345678