↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitting a, X Defend -Column ignition barrel shield to a Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Lorryman100 wrote:
@ blackwolf http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic8577.html Thumbs Up

Thanks Brian, I had forgotten this thread! Thumbs Up
Post #195335 21st Dec 2012 1:09pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
K9F wrote:
Hunk of metal arrived in post this morning (that'll be my MPG reduced yet again Laughing )....All I need now is some fair weather and a spare bit of time to fit..... Thumbs Up

Mine too. I won't bother with a pic as it looks exactly the same as that ^. I'm hoping for some time for fitting over Christmas as well Thumbs Up Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #195565 21st Dec 2012 11:08pm
landyman37

Anybody know which forum has brought all these.

Phil
Post #195632 22nd Dec 2012 10:00am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
probably D2 ... on their web site you can get an email when they are back in stock.
Post #195635 22nd Dec 2012 10:06am
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Got mine using my LR4x4 login and with that a bit of discount Whistle Thumbs Up
Post #195637 22nd Dec 2012 10:14am
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Epsom Green
Have u tried ebay i got mine from foundry 4x4 phoned them up to make sure they had stock and it turned up next day
Post #195682 22nd Dec 2012 3:00pm
Lorryman100

Well that has been a couple of weeks since I fitted the barrel shield and I have had no issues with the immobilizer. So today I stripped it all down again and sheared the bolt. I made sure that the shield stayed tight up against the ignition when tightening as there is not a lot of room for error in that the key sits very close to the shield when in the ignition, I would say a b**ls hair but that would be to much, more of a gnats b**l hair methinks. Thumbs Up If you get this wrong and the bolt shears then basically your f****d, then it would be out with the grinder and a cold chisel to rectify. Evil or Very Mad

Also there is no need to remove the screw above the parcel shelf with mole grips as this is there only to align up the cowl and is not attached to the bottom cowl which comes off over it.

Click image to enlarge

Brian.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #197264 29th Dec 2012 5:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
achuakh

Singapore 2002 Defender 90 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
-deleted-

to maintain the original integrity of the topic From the land of the most expensive land rover defenders on planet earth. At �125k for a XS 110 csw and you get to own it only for 10yrs! Please find me a good reason to stay on this island.

Last edited by achuakh on 31st Dec 2012 4:54am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #197529 30th Dec 2012 4:37pm
Lorryman100

The fob being around your neck is well within the field created by the transducer coil. With a new battery in the fob, I tested the range and found it detected the coil and pinged the 10AS from the fob in my jacket pocket which was lying on the back seat. I also know that on my Puma the passive immobilizer is enabled as I checked the settings page with a diagnostic tool, is yours? I am not trying to dispel anyone's beliefs in how they see how the transducer coil works as every one has their own ideas etc. What I have found is that the facts don't support this hypothesis that people have in that the fob only pings once at start up. Unless this tool I have is wrong, and also the tests and understanding I have developed over time is that the interaction is an ongoing affair whenever the transducer coil is energized. Again this is just on tests on my Puma with the tools that I have and the 10AS showing all the pertinent settings enabled.

This post seems to be veering away from what I originally posted, the fitting of a very good security product from X Eng, into a post on how the immobilizer works which has been covered multiple times in other threads!! When I fit a new part to my Puma, especially one that is not listed as being compatible on the Puma. I like to ensure that everything will work as it should and my biggest concern was the passive immobilizer which I stated at the end of the post incase, as my biggest fear was that someone may have decided to fit the shield and shear the bolt only to discover a few days later that their Puma was cutting out. I know how the 10AS module works and have the tools to allow me to check that everything is working as it should and because of this fact I feel confident in posting up how I did it and more importantly that it will work on someone else's Puma who does not have access to the relevant diagnostic tools.

So please can we move off the immobilizer issue and concentrate on how others have fitted their shield especially if they have done it different to the way I did it, as every day is a school day Thumbs Up

Brian.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #197541 30th Dec 2012 5:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
One thing I noted today is that the 'guard' will make it very difficult to remove the dash if required
Post #197569 30th Dec 2012 6:58pm
achuakh

Singapore 2002 Defender 90 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
-deleted- From the land of the most expensive land rover defenders on planet earth. At �125k for a XS 110 csw and you get to own it only for 10yrs! Please find me a good reason to stay on this island.
Post #197667 31st Dec 2012 4:48am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Finally got round to fitting mine today. Just over two hours to complete. Thanks for the information Brian it made the job so much easier and the photos of the reprofiling assisted me no end.

Bow down Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #200911 11th Jan 2013 8:44pm
Lorryman100

Thumbs Up Cool
Post #201072 12th Jan 2013 12:59pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Just did mine - thanks Brian, it made things a lot easier Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #227412 15th Apr 2013 11:17am
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I've just fitted the X-eng lock shield to a 15my, I'm sure I'm not the first, but understandably others are a little shy about it. It can be done, but it's not straight forward, nor is it very difficult.

One thing I found with the latest lock barrel type, as well as having no recess for the x-eng shear bolt, the casting looks much thinner than the old one. I would not recommend drilling into the lock barrel and be very careful if using the shear bolt that any pressure does not break the lock. Sikaflex has been mentioned else where as a fixing method. I didn't use either, you will need to look at the job, weigh up the options and decide which way to fix the guard.

The plastic column cowls are different for 15my and the blue ring supplied with the lock shield will not fit.
As Lorryman says, used a dremmel, much quicker and more accurate - Thanks for the tip. (and the excuse to buy a power tool!)
Lower cowl modification, open existing lock hole up to 34.0mm, very carefully and evenly all round.

Click image to enlarge

Upper cowl mod is very simple. May need a little adjustment.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Finished result

Only a small part of the shroud is visible. Even without the ring it looks ok if the hole is a neat fit.

Thanks to Lorryman for the excellent original article.
Post #408241 16th Mar 2015 9:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>