↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Puma Cuts Out – Why?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Puma Cuts Out – Why?
My 2008 Puma has decided to play up. It drives for a mile, or so, then it seems to run out of fuel. If I wait a few minutes, then it starts alright but after one mile it does it again.

There aren’t any fault codes of any interest.

Has anyone had this fault, and if so what was the fix?

Merlin
Post #93595 10th Oct 2011 8:01pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Another of LR'S little jokes methinks Rolling Eyes Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...

Last edited by ZeDefender on 10th Oct 2011 9:17pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #93602 10th Oct 2011 8:30pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Ratty from LandyZone suggests: knackered fuel pump, knackered fuel pump ecu, low fuel pressure...
Has the live data been checked or was it just a fault code reader that it was plugged into? Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #93612 10th Oct 2011 9:11pm
RALLYKA

Wales 
theres a hole in the rear where you can put fuel which makes it go. Have you tried that?
Post #93616 10th Oct 2011 9:23pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
If it sees the tank as empty or low, it will stop the engine to avoid damage (on the latest ones anyway). Are you running the fuel low?
Post #93654 10th Oct 2011 11:16pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
could be a fault regarding the alarm/immobilizer 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #93676 11th Oct 2011 8:20am
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Edited:

2 alternatives:
a) As Grockle said, looks more like an Alarm/Inmobilizer issue.
b) The fuel starving strategy is 1 mile OK and then stop the car.

if a) Did you check if the red light at the bottom of the speedo remains on when you start the car?
If so, should be that and the emergency code or a physical reset will be needed (disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes).
In my case works OK. when I had a similar problem

If c) Did tou check the non fuel lamp and the audible alarm? Probably you do. If not, should be a) if that is the point it is necessary to check the fuel level sensor and for that the fuel tank should be removed.

Cheers Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #93727 11th Oct 2011 2:31pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
As my engine still doesn't run for longer than 30 minutes, I thought that this might be a solution:

[url]
Click image to enlarge

Merlin[/url]
Post #94405 15th Oct 2011 8:10pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Have you tried driving with the fuel cap removed, incase it's vent is blocked.

Andy
Post #94460 16th Oct 2011 5:40am
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the thought. I accidentally drove with the cap off, after it happened the first time, so it’s not that. Also I disconnected the MAF, so it would run on default values to eliminate that. Thanks again.

Merlin
Post #94494 16th Oct 2011 12:33pm
Lorryman100

@Merlin,

Peter get the garage to disable the passive immobilizer in the 10AS module with the ignition off. Once disabled go for a run and see if you get any further. If the fault still occurs swap over the VCV's (Volume Control Valve) from the test Puma that the pump pressure comparison was done on as you know this unit works on the test Puma. (Though if the VCV failed then the Puma should enter limp mode with a dtc being logged as the solenoid is opened by the introduction of a 12v supply which fully opens the solenoid and the valve closure/opening is then controlled by the ECU by going to ground which closes the valve, so the ECU controls the flow rate by alternating between the two by use of the ground. So when the ignition is first switched on the VCV is fully open to allow quick pressurisation of the High pressure system to allow quick starting). This bolts onto the pump and this is the only part that can be replaced before having to renew the pump. Also get the garage to check the Fuel rail Pressure limiting valve for any sign of diesel leakage, this is a one shot safety valve that operates once the fuel rail pressure gets to 2000 bar pressure and is designed to save damage occurring to the engine. Within the make up of the pump there is the Admission pressure control valve which can cause symptoms of running out of fuel when failing, this part is not serviceable and will require the pump being replaced.
If I was a betting man, I would think that the passive immobilizer was causing your problem.

And it was nice chatting to you today as well, broke a boring shift up nicely Thumbs Up

Regards Brian.
Post #94553 16th Oct 2011 7:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chrisbowler

Engine ECU - DO YOU GET VOLTAGE AT INJECTORS WHEN ENGINE STOPS? hAVE ONE AT THE MOMENT DOING EXACTLY THE SAME - ECU GOING ON TOMMORROW - WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW GOES

Chris Bowler
Post #94904 18th Oct 2011 6:25pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Hi Chris,

It's me and my Puma you are refering to! Hopefully the replacement ECU will cure the problem.

Merlin aka Peter Milner
Post #94918 18th Oct 2011 7:18pm
KPNuts

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Alpine White
Merlin wrote:
Hi Chris,

It's me and my Puma you are refering to! Hopefully the replacement ECU will cure the problem.

Merlin aka Peter Milner

Rolling with laughter

Hope it works Peter.

Keith 2010 110 Utility Station Wagon
1996 110 Station Wagon
Post #94979 18th Oct 2011 10:54pm
Lorryman100

chrisbowler wrote:
Engine ECU - DO YOU GET VOLTAGE AT INJECTORS WHEN ENGINE STOPS? hAVE ONE AT THE MOMENT DOING EXACTLY THE SAME - ECU GOING ON TOMMORROW - WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW GOES

Chris Bowler

When the engine stops you shouldn't be getting any voltage at the injector solenoids. When you switch off the ignition the VCV closes and the ECU cuts power to the injectors, so no voltage and engine stops. If the engine was left running and this happened with no driver input in shutting down the engine, then I would be looking at a problem with the 10AS alarm unit Alarm/immobilizer. This would be easy to eliminate by totally disabling the alarm/immobilizer element of the 10AS and basically turning it into a CDL module with the plip. I am not going to tell you how on a open forum but you will need diagnostic tool like the MSV2 to access the 10AS and rewrite the new settings to accomplish it. If the problem still persists then you can move onto the ECU as replacing that will not be cheap. Also when you have replaced the ECU remember to redo Pilot correction learn reset ( insert the 16 hex digit code from each injector) and Fuel pump replacement (Also do this if you have replaced the VCV on the original pump) as the new ecu will not have these values, and if it is a second hand one then it will have the settings from the vehicle it came from. It would also be worth taking a note of the software version installed on the current ECU to compare it with the replacement ECU as it will probably differ. ie first generation of software will end in a A, the up to date version will end in a E. eg 7H12-12K532-FDA to 7H12-12K532-FDE, also there is more than one software version available:

These are out of date but show how many versions there are. The new versions end in E.

Click image to enlarge

If you get voltage at the injectors when the engine stops then would it be the ECU causing the problem as it is still energizing the ignition circuit and firing the injector solenoids? This scenario would lead me to check the fuel supply in the low pressure system ( fuel tank to VCV in fuel pump)and then onto the costly high pressure system (high pressure side of pump to injectors) Also the amperage at the injector solenoids is a three stage process as each injector solenoid is controlled separately by the ECM, which provides an earth path to open the injector nozzle at the correct time and for a calculated period to provide a metered injection of fuel into the cylinder. The ECM uses signals from other sensors against parameters in the stored ECU fuel map to ensure that the precise amount of fuel is injected at the correct timing for maximum fuel efficiency.

The ECM applies current to the injector solenoid valves in 3 stages:

1. 18 amps
2. 8 amps
3. 4 amps

At the beginning of an injection process, the solenoid valve is actuated with a higher pick-up current so that it opens quickly. After a short period of time, the pick-up current is reduced to a low holding current.

Brian.

EDIT: Christ, I've just reread this post and boy can I waffle on and on and on and on, what was the question again! Embarassed
Post #95033 19th Oct 2011 12:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>