↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Anybody fitted a rev counter?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Perc

Sweden 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
davew wrote:

If it stops raining this weekend I'll put a scope on mine and get a picture, have to say my scope is a lot more basic than that one though Embarassed so you have to promise not to laugh !

Never trust the guy with the shiny gear Laughing

Thanks for your quick reply! I've tested to measure with the probe grounded to the wire to pin 24, I'm sure that there is good contact, but the result are the same. I work with electrical systems on pleasure wessels so I'm familiar with measuring. I've also checked so there is proper contact between pin 19 and my wiring.

It's a little bit confusing.

Per CSW 90 -03
Post #206558 29th Jan 2013 6:21pm
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Might be a stupid question but which plug are you looking at?
Post #206680 29th Jan 2013 11:01pm
Perc

The black one.

There are no stupid questions Smile CSW 90 -03
Post #206682 29th Jan 2013 11:06pm
me@td5.org

Thought I would check!

What scale is being set on the scope?

Pin 19 should be almost central in the middle row of the black plug.
Post #206958 30th Jan 2013 10:19pm
Perc

Scale: 50mV/div and 20 mS/div, so the signal (or noise) is weak. I have tested to put ground on pin 24 with no difference. I haven't found the joint for grounding the ECU, i think that's the only thing not tested. I'm sure that I found pin 19.

This weekend I'm away from home, will continue to solve the problem next week. There are also an option to made an W on the alternator... but I thougt that pin 19 would be easier... Give up is not an option....

Per CSW 90 -03
Post #207332 1st Feb 2013 3:05pm
nfgp

Hi guys,

To bring back to life this topic, did anyone did this mod with sucess?

Regards
Post #220801 20th Mar 2013 11:30pm
chinnus

2001 Defender 90 Td5 ST Coniston Green
nope still waiting to find a cheap part haha!!
Post #220805 20th Mar 2013 11:56pm
Brucey

Poland 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Auto Java Black
davew wrote:
Just a transistor, as long as the Tacho is happy with a digital input rather than expecting a signal from the coil -ve then a transistor is fine. Most of the after market tachos these days are happy with a digital input.

I use something like this...

The 2.4K resistor can be reduced a bit if needed and can certainly be larger (up to around 10K) depending on the current requirement of the tacho. I wouldn't go smaller than 1K for either resistor, if anything go a bit bigger. This circuit inverts the signal but that doesn't really matter.

There are all sorts of variations that would work just as well, this just happens to be the one I use for both TD5 and Megasquirt tacho drivers.

Question for Davew i guess Very Happy

I tried to build the circuit as described. Just installed and i get some strange results!

I have a td5 with ABS, an autobox with compushift. With ignition on and engine not running. My compushift rpm is showing 180 rpm. With engine running it shows about 180 rpm lower than actual (as shown on the nanocom). Any ideał what i have done wrong?

Just re-reading this thread, i did not check if the pin19 is outputting 12v or 5v.

Chris Defender 110 DC converted Auto
BMW R1200GS
BMW F650GS Dakar
Post #225057 6th Apr 2013 1:54pm
keith

Scotland 
Yep my TD5 rev counter took the place of the clock and the clock went in a pod where the rear view mirror goes .
Post #225066 6th Apr 2013 4:00pm
me@td5.org

Brucey wrote:
davew wrote:
Just a transistor, as long as the Tacho is happy with a digital input rather than expecting a signal from the coil -ve then a transistor is fine. Most of the after market tachos these days are happy with a digital input.

I use something like this...

The 2.4K resistor can be reduced a bit if needed and can certainly be larger (up to around 10K) depending on the current requirement of the tacho. I wouldn't go smaller than 1K for either resistor, if anything go a bit bigger. This circuit inverts the signal but that doesn't really matter.

There are all sorts of variations that would work just as well, this just happens to be the one I use for both TD5 and Megasquirt tacho drivers.

Question for Davew i guess Very Happy

I tried to build the circuit as described. Just installed and i get some strange results!

I have a td5 with ABS, an autobox with compushift. With ignition on and engine not running. My compushift rpm is showing 180 rpm. With engine running it shows about 180 rpm lower than actual (as shown on the nanocom). Any ideał what i have done wrong?

Just re-reading this thread, i did not check if the pin19 is outputting 12v or 5v.

Chris

If you disconnect the ECU pin but leave the supply on the circuit and the connection to the compushift what does it say? www.td5.org
Post #225072 6th Apr 2013 4:30pm
Brucey

Ok, cut the feed from pin 19 (yellow/purple). Compushift shown zero.

Output from the disconnected ecu wire is strange. Engine not running is cycling either side of 5v (about 1v) so on multimeter is going from 4v (climbs rather than jumps) to 6v and back continuously but slow enough that the multimeter can show it.

BMW R1200GS
BMW F650GS Dakar
Post #225077 6th Apr 2013 4:50pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
The 180 ish RPM is "normal" for the TD5 ECU, no idea why but they all do it - I thought I'd mentioned it somewhere in this thread before. Putting a scope on it will show it is actually putting out a square wave whenever the ignition is on, I've always assumed that it's because the pin we're using was intended to be used by the ABS and the ABS ECU uses it to confirm communication with the TD5 ECU or something.

Not really noticed a difference between Autologic and the TD5 ECU output (not really looked that closely TBH) but not compared it to Nanocom... will try and remember to do that on Pam's tomorrow. It might well be because the output is artificially generated by the ECU - it's probably not high on the list of things to be done accurately by the ECU as it's producing a 4 cylinder signal on a 5 cylinder engine. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #225110 6th Apr 2013 7:43pm
Brucey

davew wrote:
The 180 ish RPM is "normal" for the TD5 ECU, no idea why but they all do it - I thought I'd mentioned it somewhere in this thread before. Putting a scope on it will show it is actually putting out a square wave whenever the ignition is on, I've always assumed that it's because the pin we're using was intended to be used by the ABS and the ABS ECU uses it to confirm communication with the TD5 ECU or something.

Not really noticed a difference between Autologic and the TD5 ECU output (not really looked that closely TBH) but not compared it to Nanocom... will try and remember to do that on Pam's tomorrow. It might well be because the output is artificially generated by the ECU - it's probably not high on the list of things to be done accurately by the ECU as it's producing a 4 cylinder signal on a 5 cylinder engine.

Hmmmm, but if the nanocom can pick up an accurate reading from the diagnostic socket, cannot we pick up that signal also??? Defender 110 DC converted Auto
BMW R1200GS
BMW F650GS Dakar
Post #225311 7th Apr 2013 9:16pm
me@td5.org

Not directly as it acts as a server retrieve the information. www.td5.org
Post #225504 8th Apr 2013 7:05pm
Brucey

davew wrote:

Not really noticed a difference between Autologic and the TD5 ECU output (not really looked that closely TBH) but not compared it to Nanocom... will try and remember to do that on Pam's tomorrow. It might well be because the output is artificially generated by the ECU - it's probably not high on the list of things to be done accurately by the ECU as it's producing a 4 cylinder signal on a 5 cylinder engine.

OK, the clue was in the last sentence of Dave's comments above.

I had my Compushift set up as a Td5 (i.e 5 cylinders) so change the Compushift setting to four cylinders and the RPM is close enough to be not worth digging further. It now shows 230 rpm when engine off and the RPM is around 25 lower than shown on the Nanocom, but it's close enough.

Thanks all for your comments

BMW R1200GS
BMW F650GS Dakar
Post #226281 11th Apr 2013 1:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>