↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Winch Blanket Advice!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Winch Blanket Advice!
There is one hell of a strain on the anchor point/webbing etc when I pull the boat onto the trailer. Is a winch blanket the sort of thing I need to prevent the strap flying back if something gives way. Where are you meant to put the blanket or other devices - near the anchor point? Anyone have a good cheap source of what I need...

Guess who did a lifeboat launch first try Rolling Eyes Pretty spectacular though :lol:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #144746 13th May 2012 2:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
roamingman

Scotland 
You could use a blanket or even an old coat, heavy sack, placed in the mindle of the line, Smile Live Life Ti'l You Die
Teddys are out thier

http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com
http://130sasha.co.uk/
Post #144747 13th May 2012 3:00pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
We sell our own branded winch blankets on our site

They can be placed anywhere along the cable and will help to drop the cable to the ground in the event of a break

Nice launch Thumbs Up
Post #144748 13th May 2012 3:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I have one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/winch-safety-bla..._968wt_922

It is very very very well made, arrived next day, useful pockets, and cheaper than any other winch sail

Or if you want cheaper use an old coat, put it over the cable and then zip up the coat
Post #144750 13th May 2012 3:21pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks....have to say even weighted I'm not sure how effective it would be, the strain on the strapping is significant. If there is nothing else known on the market I think I will rig up something that would physically hold the line down towards the trailer and move it up once or twice as the boat comes up!
Post #144773 13th May 2012 5:37pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
No need to spend money on a winch blanket. Just wrap a thick jacket round the the rope. Job done. With that kind of winch just stand well to the side when operating it.
Post #144798 13th May 2012 7:30pm
richuk

United Kingdom 
I would have the trailer much further into the water. Realise that means regular bearing maintenance, but would be safer and less stress on winch and boat. Rich

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat
Post #144800 13th May 2012 7:37pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
richuk wrote:
I would have the trailer much further into the water.

Ditto,, Back her in a couple of extra feet Zag

Looks like someone has already clouted the end of the pontoon !!! California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #144823 13th May 2012 9:25pm
roamingman

Scotland 
Yes get trailor into water more, let boat float onto trailor, before winching. Smile Live Life Ti'l You Die
Teddys are out thier

http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com
http://130sasha.co.uk/
Post #144830 13th May 2012 10:13pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Looks like yo have flat webbing as your winch rope.

Webbing when it breaks tends to make a noise and will tend to break the warp threads one at a time at an increasing speed. Keep a watchful eye on edge cuts which can significantly weaken the webbing, also be wary if 'fur' appears on the surface. A common place for webbing assemblies to fail is at the edge of the stitch block so be doubly wary of abrasion or nicks in this area.

Is it possible to get a pulley block for this webbing line? If so you could double line halving the load on the line (thereby reducing possibility of it breaking) but doubling the amount of line you have to take in.

Brendan
Post #144831 13th May 2012 10:24pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Fit a mesh guard to the trailer 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #144834 14th May 2012 6:37am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I could have backed the trailer in a few more inches but it's designed specifically so you don't have to get the wheels/hubs wet, clever design but makes it bloody heavy at 1000KG and long. The previous owner took out a petrol pump with it Rolling Eyes

I have some heavy elastic line which I can thread through a bit of pipe to stop it catching on the strap then hook both ends down to the trailer without much strain... I thought there would be something for off-road winching but I suppose there is nothing to hook it down to unless you maybe hooked it sideways with a ground anchor of some sort...It's the advantage of using an electric winch with a remote of course... Could look into that, it's what the previous owner used!

Tim not guilty, but the pontoon wasn't like that when we arrived Confused 30 Drascombe boats came on the rally, not a bad turn out for a miserable, cold, wet few days of sailing.
Post #144838 14th May 2012 7:01am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Personally I would put tow bar on the front bumper, or 2" receiver, and then use winch attached to the defender.

Andy
Post #144897 14th May 2012 11:33am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Unfortunately the winch would be too low... shame though! The angle of pull would be too low plus it would obstruct the pivoting bed and front post which is necessary to hold the boat in position. It's designed to have a hand or electric winch fixed to this post at the right height as with other trailers. Previous owner used an electric winch on this post and had long leads with crocodile clips to his battery, not a great set up. Hand winch will be fine with the strapping held mid way Thumbs Up
Post #144901 14th May 2012 11:43am
cradgebank

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
First thing I would do Zag is get rid of that webbing and replace it with Dynema, you never see cranes using webbing.

I would also consider replacing that winch, I have witnessed some horrors with those things coming physically apart under load, they may be rated at 2 or 3 ton but I would never trust one with anything bigger than a 8' tender.

On my boat trailer I have a small electric super winch from David Bowyer, with a 15' long remote that allows me to stand well clear of the winch line. Richard

Either a 90, 110 or 130.
Discovery 5
Post #144916 14th May 2012 12:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>