↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Alternative lifstyle!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Alternative lifstyle!
I want out! Shocked Whats the alternative to being held at ransom by suburban society and banks!

We live in a typical suburban house which needs a fitted kitchen (nothing else would look right due to the house style!) carpets (as we have concrete floors!) new bathroom etc etc as the whole place is so run down. What a waste of money Rolling Eyes We also pay a fortune for gas central heating, electric etc and are crippled by the £700 we pay per month on mortgage interest payments alone. This is common to most I should think....

BUT my dream is to live in a wood or stone house where you can knock up your own kitchen, have floor boards, do away with horrible bathrooms suits that need up dating to keep up with the community Rolling Eyes Wouldn't it be nice have wind generators, solar power, wood burning stoves etc in a place that didn't cost 2 or 3 times the price it would be to build which you have to take out a life loan on to afford it.

How many generations have also come to this point and thought about buying a few acres, build or renovate a house and get out of the TRAP!

The problem is nowadays you have to move to the back and beyond in the UK to be able to afford to do so or move abroad which I don't want to do. Kids also come into the equation, moving to a remote area wouldn't be great for them socially and even petrol costs getting around would be staggeringly expensive. We live a mile away from schools, shops work etc even moving 5 miles out would put a significant increase onto our outgoings.

I want to get rid of everything, live in Cornwall, Wales or Scotland in a little wood cabin next to a creek, with a dog, boat, oh and barn for all the bikes and cars Laughing Lets not get too carried away with shedding all materialistic goods Whistle Laughing

Rant over Mad
Post #122114 7th Feb 2012 6:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Can I come with you?
Post #122115 7th Feb 2012 6:29pm
cobs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
having a bad day Zag?
Post #122116 7th Feb 2012 6:30pm
Small Clanger

United Kingdom 
Sell everything.

Send kids either to boarding school or the Armed Forces.

Buy shed in Wester Ross.

Write multi-million selling kids adventure/wizard type novel (how about "Garry Potter and the Defender of Pumas") and auction off film rights for millions. Load shed with money.

Live H ever E.
Post #122120 7th Feb 2012 6:46pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Your all welcome on my new Island Thumbs Up bad day yes and here is the perfect place SC Wink

Ailsa Craig has come up for sale Shocked

Check this out http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...86105.html
Post #122125 7th Feb 2012 6:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Small Clanger

United Kingdom 
Chapter One

" I can't quite put my finger on it, Hermione, but something smells around here" said Garry Potter.
" I'm telling you, Garry, that g-spot is in there somewhere and that stink is puma crap, the little Censored get everywhere"

That should get you started.
Post #122126 7th Feb 2012 6:58pm
pom

checkout Canada or New Zealand.

Pom
Post #122127 7th Feb 2012 7:05pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Small Clanger wrote:
Chapter One

" I can't quite put my finger on it, Hermione, but something smells around here" said Garry Potter.
" I'm telling you, Garry, that g-spot is in there somewhere and that stink is puma crap, the little Censored get everywhere"

That should get you started.

Laughing

Never saw anything in the Harry Rotter series myself. Rolling with laughter
Post #122128 7th Feb 2012 7:06pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Well were going for it this year.

The house will be on the market by May.I've been looking in Devon for land with potential for PP on an eco house. I want running water close by, south facing slopy fields and enough land...5 hactares to qualify for PD etc.

We will buy the land, work on the PD and PP and maybe rent or by a little house for the short term. I bought the 110 with this in mind.

So not get rid of all our world possesions, and obtain a few more...like a tractor, a barn, lake etc
Post #122134 7th Feb 2012 7:14pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hay Zag,
Why do you think I live here! Thumbs Up
Quality of life - not quaintly of strife!
However - the rosy glasses need a tweak every now and then as - for us - everything in Cornwall at least an hour away... cinema, theatre, train station, shopping centre, LR main dealers ...
There are few hospitals, fewer dentists and poor out of hours service for emergencies compared to more populated areas.
We have the highest water rates in the UK, (with probably the worst service), Car parking in the summer is unbelievable due to all the tourists Sheep Sheep (we never drive if we can help it in July and August) and property is not as cheap as you think it is. (and the salt air tends to eat the steel bits of Landrover if you're not ...) Embarassed

But on the plus side - I walk 2 mins to the beach to go surfing, cross the road to a canal for canoeing, ride up a hill to a sustrans cycle path, and walk out the back door onto the national costal path. Thumbs Up
Crime is pretty low, the quality of life is outstanding, the weather is often better than other places in the UK as well.
So you pays your money and takes your chance!
Mr. Green Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #122137 7th Feb 2012 7:19pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
we all have bad days ...
we all have dreams ...

they won't just happen ... you need to make them happen Thumbs Up

the grass is not always greener, but grass is better than concrete.. and life is about the journey, you make mistakes, you have a think, get up, and get on..

go for it Zag, T1G and anyone else .. live the dream
Post #122138 7th Feb 2012 7:20pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Bpman, Couldn't agree more. Problem is it's so difficult now to avoid hustle and bustle where ever you go. I live in a rural village but bit by bit year on year there is more traffic and more and more getting closer to being swallowed into suburbia. Bit by bit most our countryside is going Crying or Very sad
Post #122145 7th Feb 2012 7:33pm
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
http://www.off-grid.net/

or google off grid, but how do these people get online? No more Defender2 Zag Crying or Very sad 
Post #122149 7th Feb 2012 7:41pm
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Zag, just do it

you wont regret it and in the end your kids will be thankful for it, (and your relationship with them will only improve)

Dont find arguments why not, make up your mind and you wont need them.

Wearing the t-shirt for 6 years and it was not the color of the grass that made the change but the mindset. (Belgian moved to Slovakia)

Made the move before being tied to place and bank and didn't regret it for a second.

Smile

ps: off-grid is a bit drastic in my eyes but enjoyed reading Better Off, flipping the switch on technology / Eric Brende (2 people - 1 year - 0 Watts) ISBN 978-0-06-057005-7
Post #122169 7th Feb 2012 8:26pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Zagato wrote:
Your all welcome on my new Island Thumbs Up bad day yes and here is the perfect place SC Wink

Ailsa Craig has come up for sale Shocked

Check this out http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...86105.html

So is that you get a free helicopter with every island purchased Whistle Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #122199 7th Feb 2012 9:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>