↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Alternative lifstyle!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Zagato wrote:
Your all welcome on my new Island Thumbs Up bad day yes and here is the perfect place SC Wink

Ailsa Craig has come up for sale Shocked

Check this out http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...86105.html

rename it "Landy Island" Thumbs Up
Post #122276 8th Feb 2012 8:24am
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
The only problem is that your defenders won't last 5 minutes in that nice sea air Big Cry Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #122283 8th Feb 2012 9:00am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ken

United Kingdom 
But so tempting Cool
Post #122289 8th Feb 2012 9:52am
Lorryman100

Zag, I go out there sometimes fishing, motoring down from the yacht haven at Largs. All the former quarry workers cottages are dilapidated with either collapsed roofs or missing altogether. Last time I was in the area there was a million and one sea birds with Censored everywhere and the noise! Mind you, probably still nicer and quieter than England. Whistle Laughing
Post #122303 8th Feb 2012 11:44am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Well I've had 3 estate agents round, price not so good as it is so run down, 400-430K Shocked Will need to sell the 109 to pay for basic materials and tart the place up Big Cry We'll have to sell without doing the kitchen and bathroom.

We would move to Cornwall like a shot but finding work is the problem of course. I don't want to return to senior management as I now enjoy my stress free gardening work Wink My wife's is a teacher so should be able to find something. Good businesses for sale down their are non existent at the moment.

I'll keep looking for property around 280K to get us mortgage free and keep an eye on jobs, it will happen, we can't afford to stay here! Shocked e.g. £14 for a haircut here, £4 in Cornwall Shocked The money we save on interest rates can go into a pension fund which I havn't got ...YET! Whistle

Go on Ken you know you want that Island Wink Lorryman it was on telly about a year ago, they interviewed the youngest heir who described what conditions were like when they lived their whilst his family quarried the stone Shocked A helicopter is a must I think Shocked

Next plan, to live a board a boat Very Happy
Post #122314 8th Feb 2012 12:54pm
pom

200k will buy you a whole lot in canada or NZ and a much better quality of life. All depends on your ties here though.

Pom
Post #122325 8th Feb 2012 1:49pm
CR

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Zag,

boat idea has always appealed to me, no more 1.5 hours to cut the grass Laughing
Post #122365 8th Feb 2012 5:32pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Nice post Zag, I'm with you on getting out of the trap. Just got to work my ass off until I'm 35, then its goodbye UK for ever I expect. It may happen, it might not, I now my Mrs doesn't really want to raise kids here (she is Portuguese) but I am very very tempted by Canada (and Ice road trucking obviously). For us youngsters (no offence to anyone here) getting a mortgage in the UK on anything bigger than a shed in a demilitarised zone is just a pipe dream, wages are simply not high enough to even contemplate it. I do think its better follow your dreams. When I am old and drooling over myself at least I can reflect back on the new 110 I once owned, the places I went and the people I met, after all, I can't take bricks and mortar with me wherever we go, but I hope I can take my memories. Smile 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #122382 8th Feb 2012 6:15pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
A friend of mine has featured a couple of times on C4's Grand Designs. He is a bit of a buildaholic, as he finished an old barn conversion not far from here he bought some land out in the Fens and built a self designed timber framed house that stood on pilings, insulated it with straw bales and is complete with large tree feature inside that doubled as the staircase. He grew hybrid willows on his land for heating fuel and also had ground source heating, a wind turbine, a huge bank of batteries complete with fancy electronics. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #122385 8th Feb 2012 6:34pm
walfy

I'm all for people pushing their boundarys and enjoying life. My current job would facilitate that as I'm a mobile instructor. In the next 3 months I'll be in Wiltshire, Kent, Somerset and then back to Wiltshire. Other blokes in the "office" will be in Scotland and Germany.
But I'm quite happy to be based on the outskirts of Bristol. Time to set some roots down. I've moved to many times in the last 25 yrs. I want a bit of stability in my life and not keep moving my wife. She has a good job and is settled now. We live in a nice area of Bristol.
I reckon that I live in a different world to Zag though. If he lives in an average suburban house that is values at over 400K then I'm a pauper Shocked 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #122389 8th Feb 2012 6:49pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
walfy wrote:

I reckon that I live in a different world to Zag though. If he lives in an average suburban house that is values at over 400K then I'm a pauper Shocked

4 Bed detached houses in Reigate are 600K + We have a 3 bed but we are just outside the Reigate school catchment area at the bottom of the hill so are over 100K cheaper than the ones at the top of the hill Shocked It's a nice area but I'm more of a rural bloke with a community feel. Too many city boys, bankers, pilots etc round here, not really pub people Rolling Eyes more "oh you must come around for dinner" types Shocked and talk about the kids private education Yawn

How about a 4 bed detached in Carmarthenshire for 154K Shocked Shocked Shocked

Our neighbours developed next door and bought a 5 bed farmhouse in Carmarthenshire with 20 acres etc for 380K 2 years ago. Needed work but still Shocked

Last edited by Zagato on 8th Feb 2012 7:19pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #122398 8th Feb 2012 7:14pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Miserableolgit wrote:
A friend of mine has featured a couple of times on C4's Grand Designs. He is a bit of a buildaholic, as he finished an old barn conversion not far from here he bought some land out in the Fens and built a self designed timber framed house that stood on pilings, insulated it with straw bales and is complete with large tree feature inside that doubled as the staircase. He grew hybrid willows on his land for heating fuel and also had ground source heating, a wind turbine, a huge bank of batteries complete with fancy electronics.

Sounds great MOG, probably seen the programme. As you know it's very difficult to find old buildings and barns needing development, that market largely dried up ten years or so ago. Things do still turn up though Thumbs Up
Post #122399 8th Feb 2012 7:17pm
Small Clanger

United Kingdom 
I've worked on virtually nothing but barn conversions for the last ten years or so. Before that, mainly nursing home extensions/conversions. A derelict barn with PP around here fetches around £500-£600 thousand, more if you want some land. The finished article usually pulls around £1m-£1.5m. I'm an electrical contractor. The builder I do the barns for has 4 or 5 waiting to be done and has no trouble selling them, although over the last few months the housing market/building trade seems to have gone into hibernation. We'll see.

If you're looking for something do-up-able with land have a look on www.swpc.co.uk They're based in Stranraer. I have friends up that way and South West Scotland is a fantastic place to live, not overcrowded and not too far away from "civilisation" I can get there from Yorkshire quite easily in 4 hours, less on the bike, and the climate is very similar to Cornwall. They have a B&B a few miles south of Stranraer, let me know if you ever want to have a look 'round the area.

As far as your project goes, I've done a few ground-source installations......I would'nt have one. Air-source.....I would have one, www.altherma.co.uk And just lately I've been doing the final connection stage of a few Solar Panel installations........I would'nt have one of them either, they've been flavour of the month lately, but for all the wrong reasons.
Without doubt, as far as I'm concerned, you can make massive, MASSIVE, savings to your heating bills by going over the top with the insulation along with judicious use of a log burner, conventional heating and electric underfloor to bathrooms. We also have a Rayburn that heats our hot water whilst cooking our dinner and drying our clothes. Don't use one source of heating/hot water. Use the cheapest i.e. free logs/wood off-cuts to heat the biggest spaces and the dearest i.e electric, for UFH or towel-rails in the small rooms like bathrooms/en-suites.

Best of luck Thumbs Up
Post #122418 8th Feb 2012 8:06pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks SC, we did have a look at the area you mentioned about 5 years ago, ideal for me, i thought it was a done deal but sadly for my wife Scotland was too far away as her mother lives on the south coast - that was the whole point Rolling with laughter

Interesting what you say about climate, I know a certain island has palm trees Shocked but hadn't thought it was that similar to Cornwall, I would love to go up there when the old bat finally kicks it Shocked Sorry I'm not a very sentimental person Whistle
Post #122445 8th Feb 2012 8:52pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
so, Are you on the market yet Zag ?
Post #122446 8th Feb 2012 8:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>