↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Alternative lifstyle!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Shocked No only halfway through painting the bathroom Steve. Don't worry I won't move until you come up Laughing

Moving house is the easy bit, moving jobs is the problem. We'll keep looking, something will turn up, within the next few years before the kids go into secondary Thumbs Up Little darlins think how much easier it would be without sprogs!! Whistle
Post #122453 8th Feb 2012 9:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TheTechnobear

Spain 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Just do it Smile

Last year we started down this route (remote farm in the Spanish mountains)...just recently received our planning permission
been having discussion about solar systems, water filtration, heating systems... and places to store a tractor etc, etc
its been fantastic so far, though, still a very long way to go - no doubting, it will be hard, but I'm sure will be rewarding in so many ways.
(oh and it many i could buy a defender Smile)
Post #122473 8th Feb 2012 9:29pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Zagato wrote:
... Little darlins think how much easier it would be without sprogs!! Whistle

tell me about it ... Shocked and they don't get any easier !
Post #122474 8th Feb 2012 9:30pm
pom

TheTechnobear wrote:
Just do it Smile

Last year we started down this route (remote farm in the Spanish mountains)...just recently received our planning permission
been having discussion about solar systems, water filtration, heating systems... and places to store a tractor etc, etc
its been fantastic so far, though, still a very long way to go - no doubting, it will be hard, but I'm sure will be rewarding in so many ways.
(oh and it many i could buy a defender Smile)

For generating power a water turbine can't be beaten, works 24x7 365. Panels are ok but don't work as well in spain as they get too hot and this decreases their efficiency big time. Water cooling them can get you as much as 40% more juice out of them.

Pom
Post #122476 8th Feb 2012 9:33pm
TheTechnobear

Spain 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
pom wrote:

For generating power a water turbine can't be beaten, works 24x7 365. Panels are ok but don't work as well in spain as they get too hot and this decreases their efficiency big time. Water cooling them can get you as much as 40% more juice out of them.

Pom

Assuming, you have an appropriate water course ... which we don't Smile

water cooling panels is interesting, though not sure how viable, will have to have a look.. wonder how this fits, with our plans on using solar heating.
(i guess though, the overheating is not too much of an issue, as during the summer, we will have excess power, its the winter thats the tricky bit)

wind turbines are also interesting, though we are planning on measuring wind speeds to determine viability.
Post #122481 8th Feb 2012 9:42pm
pom

If your looking at wind check out the new style vertical turbines, there is a large one at our local tesco store and it doesn't seem as noisy as a normal windmill and that sucker spins damn fast.

Pom
Post #122500 8th Feb 2012 10:06pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
Zag, move down this way and open a rust treatment workshop. I'll pass some work your way. Wink
Post #122520 8th Feb 2012 10:30pm
Projectblue

England 
Zag, I did similar to what you are talking about 6 years ago. I've never looked back. It's not as easy as can be made out, but it's worth it Thumbs Up
Post #122572 9th Feb 2012 1:31am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
how about a bunch of us buy a farm, split up the buildings and land ?
Post #122585 9th Feb 2012 8:35am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Interesting tips and cotacts folks Thumbs Up
Post #122590 9th Feb 2012 9:11am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
bpman wrote:
how about a bunch of us buy a farm, split up the buildings and land ?

A commune Steve, now your talking, give it a religious slant, newcomers welcome with funds for our pot Wink

Seriously though, so many small farms are still being sold off. Many wealthy people trying it as a hobby, some actually making a go of it! I started in farming so know what I would be doing but making money out of it is very difficult and it's very hard physically, I'm not sure starting at the old age of 46 is a good idea. I always remember farmers in their 40-50's hobbling around with worn hips and damaged backs. I would still give it a go though if you could find a way of getting a good enough return........not easy!
Post #122591 9th Feb 2012 9:19am
jerseyman

[quote="Zagato"]
bpman wrote:
I'm not sure starting at the old age of 46 is a good idea. !

Oi I'm 61 and still have this dream Smile

I think with the sort of equity you have you could buy somewhere to cut your outgoings dramatically, the problem is that you can't get them to zero so there has to be some sort of work or income involved.

The other issue is that, like me, you seem to be a chap who likes his toys, the sort of lifestyle that you are envisaging toys would be a problem. Do you think you could cut them out just like that, for the rest of your life? (A question I always ask myself - the answer is usually no - and you don't grow out of it Laughing )

Brian
Post #122618 9th Feb 2012 11:44am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
It's a good point, I am finding once you have done something or had something you don't desire it so much. I have been fortunate to do most things I have wanted to do and owned what I want although another nice classic car would be great Very Happy BUT I am quite happy to wander around shows and look at other peoples - it's a lot less hassle and worry than owning your own Wink

If i hadn't had such a varied work life all over the country in different fields of work amongst different cultures I would want to get out and explore but I've been their and done it and know the score. Same with fun things, done the climbing, surfing, shooting, pot holing, sailing, mountaineering, cycling, car building, classic car ownership, travelling home and abroad etc etc. It's now time for the quieter more settled simpler life.

I see getting rid of assets as an asset. As long as I have my Defender for adventures and motor interest and my boat to fulfill a few personal challenges then I will be quite content Wink
Post #122707 9th Feb 2012 5:03pm
Projectblue

England 
Zag, this might put you off. Mrs PB went to a comedy show last night, part of it was guess which midlife crisis lifestyle change is the most dangerous?
a) fast sports car & recreational drugs
b) scuba diving instructor off a shark infested reef
c) farmer in Cornwall

Yep - you are 15 times more likely to die becoming a farmer in the South West. Not encouraging when one has just bought a tractor Laughing
Post #122715 9th Feb 2012 5:36pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yep - you are 15 times more likely to die becoming a farmer in the South West. Not encouraging when one has just bought a tractor Laughing[/quote]

A new un' ? Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter
Post #122716 9th Feb 2012 5:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>