↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Diagnostics for the Puma.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Lorryman100

Diagnostics for the Puma.
What Diagnostic tool for a Defender Puma. Updated November 2014

I have had a few pm’s lately from members thinking about getting a diagnostic tool and what would I recommend they should get? The problem with me recommending a tool, because I like this or that about it, may not be true with anyone else’s idea of what the tool should be like. So I thought I would do a little write up on the merits and pitfalls of the most popular tools as per the owners on this forum. I thought I would go with the tools that I own, Remap Interface, Scangauge2, Ultragauge, Nanocom Evolution, MSV2, Autel, Picoscope and JLR SDD using the Drew Tech MonGoose Pro interface.

Remap Interfaces.

There have been some queries as to whether or not the Alien Tech remap interfaces that are supplied by some tuners for remote tuning is also a diagnostic tool? It is not, as it is used for flashing between fuel files on the vehicles ECU. It does however give you the option to read and clear DTC’s (Diagnostic Trouble Codes.). This is both a plus and a negative as the remap interface does not distinguish between tested and untested DTC’s . All it displays is the code without an explanation as to what that code means. There are options to find out what the codes mean, either by entering them into Google or using a downloaded list available on this forum. The remap interface is not vin locked until the unit is used to download a fuel file into its memory, then it is vin locked to that vehicle and will not be able to be used to check DTC’s on another vehicle unless the unit is erased first.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Scangauge2. http://www.scangauge2.co.uk/

The scangauge2 is a very handy little engine monitoring and DTC tool. It is limited in the diagnostic side with only showing Tested DTC’s which throw on the MIL light, and it does not show all Tested DTC’s as per the list detailing the codes on the scangauge website. The newer software versions have the ability to show pending DTC’s (Untested), but this has to be done manually by the user. Now where this tool does excel is in the gauge function of monitoring the engines sensors. It has the capability to monitor 20+ sensor outputs and I use this function to show the four main gauges all the time. I personally monitor the FPr (Fuel Rail Pressure), MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure), CHT (Cylinder Head Temp of coolant, this gives a very accurate reading of the coolant temp in the head and fluctuates unlike the temp gauge which does not register in the red until the CHT is above 100C) and Ai (Ambient Air temp, this reading is taken from one of two sensors incorporated within the MAF sensor in the Air box.). There is another option with the scangauge to add more sensors through a feature called xgauge. This works by allowing the user to add additional gauges which are specific to their vehicles ECU protocols. On the Puma, 2 protocols work with the scangauge, these are the PWM and CANSF protocols and the xgauge codes for these are listed on the website. I have listed in another post (http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic10492.html ) which ones work on the Puma to save you inputting all of them as the Puma EMS does not report on them all.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

UltraGauge

The Ultragauge comes in at nearly half the price of the Scangauge and offers coverage of more sensors than the Scangauge.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I used an old windscreen mount and modified it to hold the Ultragauge as the windscreen mount supplied is to long for the Puma dash.

Click image to enlarge

Some screenshots of the Ultragauge in action:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Nanocom Evolution. https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/

I have not posted all the screens or options available on the nanocom as it would be a huge write up, so here is my abridged version of the nanocom. The following pictures are from the original Evo model. BBS has updated the case for the Nanocom and has added new vehicles, P38,Disco 3 etc.

The Nanocom Evolution is a great leap forward in diagnostic capability for the DIY user. It is very easy to use and to navigate through all the modules by way of its touch screen. The Nanocom gives some abilities in writing new settings into the various modules ECU’s.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

As you can see in the above photos the Nanocom supports the Puma and TD5 including the D2. To access these modules you will need to also purchase the relevant unlock codes for the vehicles you own. Also the Nanocom is a multi vehicle diagnostic tool meaning that it is not vin locked to one vehicle.
Puma Module coverage.
The modules covered by the Nanocom are Puma EMS (Engine Management System), Puma Instrument Pack (Instrument Cluster), Lucas AS10 (Alarm Module) and the Wabco ABS module.

Click image to enlarge

Let’s look at the EMS module first.

You have the option to check and clear DTC's, though the nanocom does not differentiate between the types which can lead to owners to believe that something is wrong when it is a normal test cycle fail! The nanocom also gives a description of the DTC, something the scangauge or remap interface does not do.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The engine sensor monitoring of the nanocom is really good except for the information is displayed over several pages due to the size of the units screen and the number of sensor outputs.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I like the fact that the nanocom can simulate faults on the Puma EMS.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Lucas AS 10 Alarm/Immobiliser Module.

The coverage of this module also allows the user to write new settings in the ability to change the settings from standard to help with fault finding eg: Disabling the Passive Immobiliser. It also allows you to check the module for faults. I don't want to go into any great detail with this module as it is an open forum.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Wabco ABS Module.

Again the nanocom allows the user to check and clear fault codes as well as having an option to test the various valves and switches to help with fault finding.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then you have the Testing options:

Click image to enlarge

Puma Instrument Cluster.

This option allows you to check for faults and shows some CCF files.

Click image to enlarge

And this option doesn't do anything except maybe offering false hope?

Click image to enlarge

The big plus for this tool now IMHO is that BBS have taken over the nanocom brand and have made significant upgrades to this tool enabling old and new customers the same upgrades. The upgrade process has been simplified as well by BBS, as I have posted elsewhere on this forum.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I would like to apologize for the bad quality of these pics as I used my crapberry to speed up the picture taking process. But hopefully they are clear enough to show just what a good tool this is. I like the nanocom so much, I will be getting one of the new revamped BBS models very soon and will post up the differences and improvements as soon as I can.

So to sum up, for value, ability, size and the all in one feature that can be left in the cubby box till needed, IMHO it is very good as a stand alone DIY tool that most people will be able to use easily and safely.

BBS MSV2 https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/

I bought this tool as a home use only tool as it needs a Laptop to use all of its functions. In the guise that I purchased, the extreme model, it has an inbuilt LCD screen that allows you to use it as a standalone fault code reader with the option to clear DTC's.

Click image to enlarge

The tool came from BBS in Cyprus and came well packed with everything needed to get me started.

Click image to enlarge

Once you receive the tool you have to register the tool with BBS and receive the unlock codes to allow the tool to work. Also as a tool owner there is a dedicated BBS forum which deals with all aspects of the tool and its members are very helpful in answering any queries as well as the BBS support staff who man the forum during working hours. The tool allows access into the EMS, IC, AS10 and the Wabco modules, however this tool allows far more settings to be changed than the nanocom and could lead to issues if you don't save any settings before writing new values. This tool is as good as dealer specific tools like the IDS system I have but at quarter of the price for a vin locked single vehicle licence.

The tool comes with a disc on which is the user interface program which you install onto a laptop, the program is called vehicle explorer. Again I have only posted some of the screen shots as the post would be even longer than it is.
Once the tool is unlocked and the vehicle explorer is installed onto the laptop it is just a case of plugging one end into the laptop and the other into the OBD socket in the Puma. The MSV then communicates with the PC and the Puma.

The home screen gives you the options of vehicle and modules etc.

Click image to enlarge

This is the info for the EMS,

Click image to enlarge

The tool allows you to read and clear both tested and untested DTC's giving an explanation to the codes as well.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It also gives you the engine live data with the option to make an AVI recording to save and go over at your leisure.

Click image to enlarge

Instead of me wittering on about each module here are some screen shots to allow you to see the capabilities of this tool.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Instrument Cluster Module

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

AS10 Alarm Module

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Wabco ABS Module

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

ABS Live data screen shot

Click image to enlarge

Gap Diagnostic IID tool

http://gap-diagnostic.com/home.html

Click image to enlarge

So after unlocking the tool I was presented with a main menu and went on to explore the various options available for the IPAC and EMS,

Click image to enlarge

I then went on to do a DTC check

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

At the bottom left of the screen you will see an advanced option which allows you to search for a particular type of DTC. In this case it was Confirmed DTC's of which there were none present.

Click image to enlarge

However by changing the type of DTC 2 faults were found on my Puma

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next screen shot shows the fault check by ECU, note that the WABCO and 10AS are present as not fitted as yet. These will be added in the near future

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Fitted ECU info screens

Click image to enlarge

EMS functions

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The tool also allows for live data to be displayed either by a graph or numeric values with up to 8 sensors values being displayed at the same time. The logs can be saved for future reference.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Once you have finished the session you just press disconnect

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And then just switch off the ignition and remove the tool. Thumbs Up

So far this tool is one of the easiest to use that I own. Hopefully the development phase will bring the ABS and 10AS modules on line soon, then this tool will have a permanent home in the cubby box as I can then use the Iphone or the Ipad as the interface.

JLR SDD using the Drew Tech Mongoose Pro interface.

**Coming soon**

Autel

**Coming soon**

Picoscope 4 channel Automotive Oscilloscope

**Coming soon**

Delphi DS150E

**Coming soon**

Brian.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by Lorryman100 on 29th Jul 2015 1:29am. Edited 12 times in total
Post #116191 17th Jan 2012 3:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pom

thats a top rightup Thumbs Up

Pom
Post #116192 17th Jan 2012 3:48pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Thank you. Suggest this is a new sticky.. BM52
Post #116196 17th Jan 2012 3:55pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Thank you. Suggest this is a new sticky.. BM52
Post #116198 17th Jan 2012 4:14pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
That's tonights homework then Thumbs Up
Post #116215 17th Jan 2012 5:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Brilliant post - thanks Brian Thumbs Up John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #116216 17th Jan 2012 5:33pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
Just through curiosity, how much are these systems?
Post #116256 17th Jan 2012 8:02pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Excellent post Brian,,

Thank you for your time in writing it,, not a 2 minute job Bow down California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #116257 17th Jan 2012 8:04pm
Lorryman100

wslr wrote:
Just through curiosity, how much are these systems?

Scangauge2: £115.85 Direct from Scangauge
Nanocom: £298.39 + Delivery direct from BBS Cyprus.
MSV2: £423.14 + Delivery direct from BBS Cyprus.

Brian
Post #116264 17th Jan 2012 8:25pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
cracking read Brian thank you Thumbs Up
Post #116270 17th Jan 2012 8:37pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Nice post Brian im sure this will help many a new user decide the best for them now they have all info in one place Thumbs Up

Pete
Post #116276 17th Jan 2012 8:47pm
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Re: What Diagnostic tool for a Defender Puma.
Lorryman100 wrote:
So I thought I would do a little write up...

Little? Rolling with laughter

Brilliant job Brian. Easily the most generous and helpful member 2012 Thumbs Up
Post #116317 17th Jan 2012 10:21pm
log11

Greece 
Excellent post Lorryman100

Could you upload a pdf or a word file with the original write up you did in 32 pages????

Thank you.
Post #116326 17th Jan 2012 10:35pm
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Thanks Brian. That's excellent work and has answered several questions I had about the various differences. Thumbs Up

Pete
Post #116366 17th Jan 2012 11:43pm
mermoto

Great stuff - must have taken ages to write Thumbs Up

Mermoto
Post #116369 17th Jan 2012 11:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>