↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Diagnostics for the Puma.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Blondie

United Kingdom 
This seems an interesting post......but the first part is missing, can it be reposted for new bees like me. Or has the content been superseded by more modern technology?
Post #369164 3rd Nov 2014 8:46am
Lorryman100

Updated 16/11/14. Thumbs Up
Post #372058 16th Nov 2014 9:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Lorryman - thanks for taking the time Thumbs Up
Post #372123 17th Nov 2014 9:11am
newhue

Australia 
Lorryman, all I can say is thank you...for the time, the effort, and the willingness to pass on your knowledge. Well done. My Defender and travels
Post #376051 3rd Dec 2014 1:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
carrotbay

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel XS CSW Auto Santorini Black
Brilliant Thumbs Up 2008 Defender 110 XS SW - M57N2 / 6HP28X
Post #389851 18th Jan 2015 5:14pm
fatman

Greece 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Post #407229 13th Mar 2015 1:34pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Search reveals....

jbw wrote:
Owned a MY 2013 Puma 90 from new, all running fine. Recently purchased Chinese clone Mongoose Pro JLR and using SDD 139. I seem to be able to communicate with all modules on CAN-HS (inc optional Bosch ABS), however communication failure is reported on ROSCO with vehicle immobilisation module. I'm guessing the latter is still the 10AS unit. - can anyone confirm? The vehicle is running fine, so I don't think this is a fault of any sort. Any ideas why I can't access the VIM? Vehicle is still under warranty of course so I'm not overly concerned, just more curious at this stage.

I notice service bulletin SSM48057 (published July 2011) which may be relevant, however I'm unable to access the contents. Does anyone have access to this bulletin? I'm guessing some security features may have changed on the 2.2 models preventing direct access to the 10AS

Anyone come across this issue?

Couple of other threads with a mention....it may be a copy at that price as an extract from one of the threads stated "You just need a J2535 type module like the Mongoose to connect it which is around £400GBP, a suitable laptop and a subscription to IDS for £700GBP via TOPIx. You even get IDS Support to call once you have subscribed to it."

Why is your link so cheap and has no subscription charge?

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30756.html?highlight=mongoose

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic8087.html?highlight=mongoose If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #407230 13th Mar 2015 1:39pm
fatman

Greece 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Indeed many owners have issues with commercial diagnostics systems and the latest AS10 ecu version.
I already use a nanocom for years and i was looking for an alternative in order to have all diagnostic options available,pump learn etc.
Thanks.

Edit
I just read your post carefully.
There is even a cheaper version(bad copy i think,check the spelling Laughing )
http://www.carsets.co.uk/wholesale/jlr-mon...tAodokUAJQ

Last edited by fatman on 13th Mar 2015 1:55pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #407234 13th Mar 2015 1:48pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I'm not savvy with the diagnostics beyond the use of my basic Scangauge I'm afraid. Nevertheless drop Lorryman a 'pm' he is knowledgeable about all this and would be able to advise accordingly.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #407236 13th Mar 2015 1:52pm
Lorryman100

fatman wrote:

Edit
I just read your post carefully.
There is even a cheaper version(bad copy i think,check the spelling Laughing )
http://www.carsets.co.uk/wholesale/jlr-mon...tAodokUAJQ

Don't waste your money as it states it will read vehicles up to 2014 when in the Q&A it won't access a 2012 Evoque!!. At the very least you need the Drew Tech Mongoose Pro interface to access most LR vehicles, also the version of SDD included is well out of date. Current version is SDD 141_03_V204

JMTW Thumbs Up
Post #412464 30th Mar 2015 9:18pm
Rattys

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Wow a staggering amount of detail you must have the patience of a Saint, many thanks for investing so much time in reviewing the different products. Ive spent the evening reviewing the posts on the forum and feel that Ive just confused my self totally. We are about to start to travel further a field, away from the normal support or dealers/garages with diagnostic equipment and I want to carry a diagnostic tool with us in case or 2.2 tdci develops a fault. I had settled on the Hawkeye but after reading on of your posts have started to favour the IIDtool, which would you say was the more appropriate for independent overland travel?

thanks in advance,

PS I couldn't send a PM as I haven't posted enough, as by searching the forum I usually find and my question and an answer has already been posted.
Post #457295 22nd Sep 2015 10:39pm
Lorryman100

The IID tool is a very easy tool to use and works on my iphone 6 and ipad. The 2.2 has coverage for the EMS, IPAC and ABS just now with the 10AS coverage in the pipeline. Drop IID an email as they are very pro active in their design and customer support. Thumbs Up
Post #459994 2nd Oct 2015 11:51pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Ive had all of the tools over the years and i have to say i thought the old nanocom was better than the MSV-2, its the worst thing ive ever owned and the customer service is terrible. Ive T4 and Autologic and a Vantage pro scope.
Post #573164 24th Oct 2016 6:21pm
Cold_n_Wet

Norway 
I have to admit the nanocom original was a leap forword when it first came out, we bought one, I still own a 1/3 in it, but I bought my own evolution after a while.

As I had a MSV from before I liked to use that more in the workshop with bigger screens (eys Im get on now) and sausage fingers, however the evolution is a great in the field tool.

I found SDD a trifle confusing and difficult to navigate around, and have not ugraded it for 2 years now after moving on to IID.

The MSV gets fired up every now and again as there are things / options I like better there.

Do I have a favorite tool, no I don't, the tool box is full of the different tools for different applications.

I have never played with a T4, and only saw one in the flesh last year.

There will always be new tools appearing each year, each with new bells and whistles as vehicles get more advanced to tools needed to fix them need to follow.

With remote diagnostics coming out does this mean the end of these tools, I dont think so.

my 2,5 cents
Glen "Rafiki" 2007 110 STW - Rolling rebuild.
Post #573217 24th Oct 2016 10:54pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I thought I'd post up my thoughts on the Nanocom Evo I've been using for a short while now. I'm a complete amateur DIYer and didn't have a specific problem that needed solving when I bought the unit, just wanted something there for when the gremlins strike. However, since then I've used it a few times.

Firstly, my alarm wasn't arming and I used the Nanocom to easily change some setting in the 10AS and now all is good. Very Happy

I wanted to see if I could see the cam sensor output. I've had one fail in the past and borrowed a Britpart Lynx to diagnose it. Turns out the Nanocom can't see the cam sensor Sad I'm about to replace my fuel pump VCV and need to do a fuel pump learn. Nanocom can't do that Sad

I'm hoping that future updates to Nanocom might some functionality but I don't know how much they will want to narrow the gap to their more pro grade products. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #573787 27th Oct 2016 3:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>