↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > New year, new truck layout.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
ben_j85jty

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
New year, new truck layout.
Having finished off the turkey and mince pies, my attention has turned to the 110, specifically the way I pack it when we go away.

The main area I want to look at is the rear, in which I currently have a full lenghth MSS draw, giving me a flat surface to start with. I use euro boxes, and also carry a jerry can.

The problem I want to address is access to the boxes. I often stack the boxes 3 high and seem to always need something from the bottom box, no matter what order I put them in.

I have been thinking of adding a shelf, putting 3 boxes underneath, then the remaining ones on top, maybe introducing a higher netting shelf for light items.

So, any idea's, pictures, sketch up drawings to help me decide what to do? 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #111338 1st Jan 2012 9:56pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
i'm buying the mantec shelves for the same reason.

i can't see £600 in a drawer unit TBH, so boxes above and below the shelf to prioritise.
Post #111339 1st Jan 2012 9:59pm
ben_j85jty

The MSS draw is a bit pricey, but I was lucky enough to pay very little for mine, and it's worth it's weight in gold.

All the cooking and brew kit goes in there and is always easily accessible.

I like the idea of the Mantec shelves, bit they don't make them for a double cab. 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #111340 1st Jan 2012 10:02pm
T1G UP

ben_j85jty wrote:
The MSS draw is a bit pricey, but I was lucky enough to pay very little for mine, and it's worth it's weight in gold.

All the cooking and brew kit goes in there and is always easily accessible.

I like the idea of the Mantec shelves, bit they don't make them for a double cab.

well you can use the idea, get the sides folded up from flat sheet and buy the shelves?
Post #111341 1st Jan 2012 10:04pm
ben_j85jty

Very true.

Any idea what sort of weight do they carry?

I had been thinking of having a piece of buffalo board resting on the waist line, probably held in place with spring loaded bolt catches, but the mesh would be lighter.

This is how the back used to look....

Click image to enlarge

Since then I have added a truckman top and a switch & fuse board on one side.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #111345 1st Jan 2012 10:16pm
T1G UP

umm tough one on a DC. this is my plan.

i like the side access panels in this http://www.landrover130-adventures.com/4657.html you can buy them and fit them in the DC hard back?
Post #111350 1st Jan 2012 10:32pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Firstly consider very, very careful what you carry and how you carry it

Consider the overall weight of what you carry, how often do you need things.

The best thing I have seen for storing items high up is a wire cage which we have in our red 110. I believe it is an old LR product which is no longer available. I have only seen one, mine! Thumbs Up

Alternatives include the Boab shelf here or the mud cargo net here Yes we can supply both Razz

Yes storage drawers/chests are very useful. Manufacturers include MSS, Black Widow, Safari Equip, Big Country etc. None are cheap, none are exactly lightweight. Do you need a 'permanent' set up or do you need an extremely and easily adaptable system?

If so consider light weight boxes such as ali boxes or wolf boxes. Cargo tracking provides a continuous adjustable track or consider small discreet cargo track sections or lash down points.

There is no ONE right system suitable for EVERYBODY.

Consider YOUR needs very carefully. Can you have a permanent set up or do you need a system which is very easily adaptable?

Look at many different vehicles as possible. At shows do NOT just wander around the trade stands ( I can imagine certain people in the trade groaning here) take time to wander around the car park/campsite and talk to as many people s possible about how they set up their vehicles. Pick their brains/ideas and adapt those to fit YOUR NEEDS and budgets.

Brendan
Post #111358 1st Jan 2012 11:07pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I have a "shelf" system of sorts

On the bottom is the short store draw, the a shelf the same height as the Mantec as pictured below, 2/3 the length of the load area (same as the store draw, ) this has 2 high sides so making a second shelf, plus 2 side "bin" style drops ins,, the jerry cans live in here forward

Real simple, takes half a hour to fit it all in, and can get to any item within a minute,, used on about a dozen trip abroad now, and not needed much modification in that time

Off to see if i have a picture ?? California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #111360 1st Jan 2012 11:14pm
ben_j85jty

I ma not sure they would work well with the fibreglass of the truckman top.

Eventually I will probably converting the DC into a USW, only need a 110 roof, series 3 sides and a door to do it and the money I would get from the roof and truckman would pay for the respray. When I do that I will be fitting the side doors like the 130 - they are about £220 from MSS at the moment. http://www.trekoverland.com/offer.php

I was thinking along the lines of the Disco in the middle (storage) picture. http://www.mobilestoragesystems.net/index.php 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #111361 1st Jan 2012 11:16pm
TJ101

leeds wrote:

Alternatives include the Boab shelf here or the mud cargo net here Yes we can supply both Razz

Brendan

We use a "shelf" similar to the Baob one,, but on the front of the load guard, but only about 2 foot deep, adapted from a normal hatchback short dog guard, perfect for hats, coats etc,,
Same with the cargo net,, ebay a Audi A6 cargo net, that sits up in the rear headlining, again light bulky stuff California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Post #111362 1st Jan 2012 11:21pm
TJ101

Original prototype

Click image to enlarge

As Brendan says,, re set up,, mine can not be permanent so is only fitted for trips etc

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Post #111363 1st Jan 2012 11:26pm
ben_j85jty

leeds wrote:
Firstly consider very, very careful what you carry and how you carry it

Consider the overall weight of what you carry, how often do you need things.

The best thing I have seen for storing items high up is a wire cage which we have in our red 110. I believe it is an old LR product which is no longer available. I have only seen one, mine! Thumbs Up

Yes storage drawers/chests are very useful. Manufacturers include MSS, Black Widow, Safari Equip, Big Country etc. None are cheap, none are exactly lightweight. Do you need a 'permanent' set up or do you need an extremely and easily adaptable system?

If so consider light weight boxes such as ali boxes or wolf boxes. Cargo tracking provides a continuous adjustable track or consider small discreet cargo track sections or lash down points.

There is no ONE right system suitable for EVERYBODY.

Consider YOUR needs very carefully. Can you have a permanent set up or do you need a system which is very easily adaptable?

Look at many different vehicles as possible. At shows do NOT just wander around the trade stands ( I can imagine certain people in the trade groaning here) take time to wander around the car park/campsite and talk to as many people s possible about how they set up their vehicles. Pick their brains/ideas and adapt those to fit YOUR NEEDS and budgets.

Brendan

I entirely agree,

I am just to improve on what I already have and thought I would throw it out tot he great minds on here.

In my 90 I fabricated a rack similar to the BOAB one which worked really well - any one with a 110 CSW and a dog guard can easily do it.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #111365 1st Jan 2012 11:30pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
ONCE, repeat ONCE you have finally decided on YOUR requirements, if none of the standard commercially available systems fit your requirements do not be afraid to ask the standard manufacturers if they could do a 'special' for you. What is the worst they could say?

A friend of ours had a one off storage system made for his 110 HT. I will have to try and find the photos, but not tonight Razz

Brendan
Post #111366 1st Jan 2012 11:33pm
ben_j85jty

TJ101 wrote:
Original prototype

Click image to enlarge

As Brendan says,, re set up,, mine can not be permanent so is only fitted for trips etc

Neither mine,

I have to be able to fit a bulk load of archery targets in the back when work dictates.

I like the shelf unit, what do you put in the bottom part?

Post #111367 1st Jan 2012 11:33pm
TJ101

ben_j85jty wrote:
, what do you put in the bottom part?

Thats where the short store drawer goes

Nice to have a work space, hence the short one... you are OK in a DC haveing the drop down tailgate California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Post #111370 1st Jan 2012 11:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>