↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > New year, new truck layout.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Pam, in my 90 I build a shelf to go across the arches with a divider in between. In there went boxes with heavy stuff towards the front seats. I had mantec baskets for the sides which are great. Fridge went on top of the shelf on the o/s (fridges inc stuff inside are light compared to tools, water, fuel etc) and on top of the shelf front abd back were clothes bags strapped down. Boab shelf up top - very useful. That's it.

Oh, directly behind bulkhead bar was 20 litre water carrier (the canadian army one - frost in rochdale sell them), safe, fire extinguisher, fuel cells (rotopax)
Post #111638 2nd Jan 2012 10:31pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Mine

Click image to enlarge

Then use boxes either side fridge in middle, so can see over it.

Andy
Post #111641 2nd Jan 2012 10:39pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Thanks Mike - do you have any pics of it all done?

I do like the look of the Mantec baskets and shelf - as in the pic above in - will investigate those further when I've got the roll cage sorted. - looking at getting the standard P&P external expedition bolt on, but possibly also a custom internal cross behind the seats (its a non-bulkead tub) for extra rigidity. Thinking can custom build some mesh onto the cross for some extra hanging space and for safety of the driver/passenger compartment.
Post #111642 2nd Jan 2012 10:41pm
Pam W

Ta Andy.

I'd like to be able to get things out of the fridge without standing on a something so deffo having it lower down! Smile

I do like that high up shelf as well, so that is another one to look out for (although we'd have to replace any wooden slats with metal or plastic as the Australian quarantine people get very funny about letting wood products in and its easier just not to have them if at all poss.

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Very Happy
Post #111643 2nd Jan 2012 10:53pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Yes the wood slats are crap any way, you can't really see in that photo, but my slats are Ali and I also added cross bars.

The fridge is far to high on my setup, I can manage being 6'4" but the other half needs a step.

Andy
Post #111644 2nd Jan 2012 11:07pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
ben_j85jty wrote:
These are the ones I use
[url]
http://www.solentplastics.co.uk/massive-sa...ers/[/url]

They do fit between the arches, but as I have the drawer it's not an issue.

That's the ones Thumbs Up

I got the euros with attachable lid and plastic clips to lock. Handy as I keep all the camping gear in them, ready to chuck in. (didn't stop me forgetting the poles for the oztent awning last trip -duh, good job we had some spare ones which I didn't forget, bit short but did the job just about)

Dj 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #111645 2nd Jan 2012 11:34pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Pam, some form of cargo barrier is essential.

Have a look at the wire cage in the back of the red 110. One of the best things I have seen for high level storage. Supplied by Tony at Four Plus 4

Re fridge, if you are thinking of a storage drawer, be it MSS/Safari/Black Widow have you considered a drop down slide? OK puts weight and costs up but would make standard type drawer + fridge work for you

Alternative to consider would be half width drawers. Saw them when searching will try and find link for you.

Another possibility would be a sliding floor such as the ones available for D3/4

There again I am sure you will do your research Razz

Brendan
Post #111647 2nd Jan 2012 11:52pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Pam W wrote:
Thanks Mike - do you have any pics of it all done?

I do like the look of the Mantec baskets and shelf - as in the pic above in - will investigate those further when I've got the roll cage sorted. - looking at getting the standard P&P external expedition bolt on, but possibly also a custom internal cross behind the seats (its a non-bulkead tub) for extra rigidity. Thinking can custom build some mesh onto the cross for some extra hanging space and for safety of the driver/passenger compartment.

Sorry Pam, I dont. I didn't have the shelves - they weren't needed. Just thinkn a basic shelf level with the wheel arches, secured to the side baskets with 3 mil ally strips bolted through. the vertical sides of the shelf. It was basically a box with an open front and the measurements were set so that my existing boxes fit in the aperture and couldn't move.

I disagree with brendan that a load guard is neccessary. If your system is bolted in, and whatever you have on top is correctly strapped down, and those strap securing points are bolted with appropriate washers etc, you don't need a load guard since there is no risk of anything flying about in the event of a spill. Having said that, you can secure other things to the rearward facing part of a mesh loadguard, and I'm having one in my current vehicle though that's more for a division that a safety thing.

I'm sure brendan will agree that any guard or indeed anything with any weight is only as secure as its mountings, so in terms of money, i would spend on good quality bolts, washers and nylock nuts (cant vibrate free) as opposed to large bits of kit which might be robust, but isn't unless it's bolted down. The mantec shelves are a case in point. They're steel, but they "sit" on the basket sides. If you end up getting them, you'll need to secure them to the baskets, and also make sure the baskets are corectly bolted down because the bolts that mantec supply in the basket kit are not up to the job at all (in my opinion)

re the boab shelf, you can easily unscrew the wooden slats and replace them with ally. there are loads of suppliers on ebay who will cut to length for you, then its just a matter of screwing them in.
Post #111648 3rd Jan 2012 12:10am
Mark_110DCPU

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Ben,

In my dc I found that the following net is a perfect fit for the load area:

load net from apb trading

Admittedly I don't have the truckman, so it is attached to the hood sticks. However, it is non stretchy so holds thermarests without stretching to the floor like my previous attempt with a car cargo net.

I also still have the spare mounted internally so just use a row of Zarges boxes inside. Don't have any pictures of them in this truck tho...

Following with interest to see what you come up with tho.

Mark [:O|===|O:] 2001 110 TD5 Doublecab
Post #111650 3rd Jan 2012 12:26am
leeds

United Kingdom 
BigMike wrote:

I disagree with brendan that a load guard is neccessary. If your system is bolted in, and whatever you have on top is correctly strapped down, and those strap securing points are bolted with appropriate washers etc, you don't need a load guard since there is no risk of anything flying about in the event of a spill.

IF everything is always correctly secured down then yes you do not need a cargo barrier.

The problem is when things go wrong they go wrong extremely rapidly and there is no time to secure that loose shackle/torch/frying pan/torque wrench which you have just thrown into the back of your vehicle.

Yes people will differ about bits of gear. Have found a cargo barrier extremely useful once, it did its job.

Passenger compartment only soft items are allowed unsecured, all hard items tied down. Getting hit around back of head with a pillow/fleece etc is one thing, that loose shackle/lump hammer travelling at mach 5 is a different matter.

Yes cargo barriers do have their own disadvantages such as limiting length of items that can be carried.

So my vote goes for travelling with a cargo barrier, others may disagree.

Brendan
Post #111652 3rd Jan 2012 12:45am
Pam W

As I said above, if we go with the extra internal cross on the roll cage we are thinking of making a custom mesh barrier to attach to that, as the standard dog guard is then unlikely to fit. I don't like the idea of having heavy items falling on me either! Shocked

Ta for the other ideas. Thumbs Up
Post #111658 3rd Jan 2012 6:53am
ben_j85jty

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
I think I have found a solution.

I have always been a bit dubious about making a frame to sit the boxes in, mainly because of weight. after looking at Ralph Hardwicks http://www.overland-rovers.com/ and saw that he had used Easy fix aluminimum tubing, which I think is going to be perfect to make a lightweight and strong rack system for the rear of the truck.

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/EasyFi...index.html 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #112269 4th Jan 2012 10:36pm
ben_j85jty

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
So here is a mock up of the racking:

Click image to enlarge

Going to measure it up for real and get the materials ordered, see what it ends up like

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #112909 6th Jan 2012 2:02pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
looking good Ben ... how does the structure stay together, glue, rivets ?
Post #112946 6th Jan 2012 5:33pm
ken

United Kingdom 
looking at the site it appears to be push fit
Post #112950 6th Jan 2012 5:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>