↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > commercial tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
For the benefit of the OP, if he's still following, the General TR tyre pictured earlier is speed rated Q, 160 kph or 100 mph.

That is also a maximum and you don't have to drive at speed all of the time. Laughing Thumbs Up
Post #996228 14th Jun 2023 10:26am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
TexasRover wrote:
No I was not serious.

Tires specs are a pet peeve for me. In fact I used to live in Norway and there the tire spec is listed on your registration document (V5 equivalent) and at your MOT they check. I recall it lists size, load rating and speed. I had a long (but futile) argument with an MOT tested because my set of winter tires was fitted on different size steel rims so the car failed the MOT. Refitting the summer tires would not be legal in the winter either. I normally did the MOT in summer, but was selling the car. I postponed the sale till after 01 April so I could legally fitted the 'correct tires' to pass the MOT.

It was a Volvo and the speed rating was something like 180 kph, with 110 being the legal speed limit and the car not making that speed in the factory spec.

All this stupidity when rules meet reality, as I said futile discussion.

As it happens the tire speed rating for (the real) defender seems to be set at 130 kph, which at least is realistic!

That seemed more like stupid EU/European legislation trying to regulate things that don't need to be.

I believe, in the the UK, you can fit any speed rating tyres, so long as they are otherwise legal. However you cannot legally exceed the rated speed rating on public roads, even if within the legal speed limit.

i.e. if you wanted to run tyres with a K or L speed rating (68/75mph), then you can.
Post #996232 14th Jun 2023 10:56am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
I am probably wrong, but I thought your tyre rating had to suit your vehicle manufacturers specification?
Post #996240 14th Jun 2023 1:30pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
TexasRover wrote:
No I was not serious.

Tires specs are a pet peeve for me. In fact I used to live in Norway and there the tire spec is listed on your registration document (V5 equivalent) and at your MOT they check. I recall it lists size, load rating and speed. I had a long (but futile) argument with an MOT tested because my set of winter tires was fitted on different size steel rims so the car failed the MOT. Refitting the summer tires would not be legal in the winter either. I normally did the MOT in summer, but was selling the car. I postponed the sale till after 01 April so I could legally fitted the 'correct tires' to pass the MOT.

It was a Volvo and the speed rating was something like 180 kph, with 110 being the legal speed limit and the car not making that speed in the factory spec.

All this stupidity when rules meet reality, as I said futile discussion.

As it happens the tire speed rating for (the real) defender seems to be set at 130 kph, which at least is realistic!

That seemed more like stupid EU/European legislation trying to regulate things that don't need to be.

I believe, in the the UK, you can fit any speed rating tyres, so long as they are otherwise legal. However you cannot legally exceed the rated speed rating on public roads, even if within the legal speed limit.

i.e. if you wanted to run tyres with a K or L speed rating (68/75mph), then you can.

C&U regs say that for most 'normal' road vehicles, tyres must be rated for at least 70mph. 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #996251 14th Jun 2023 3:14pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I wonder, legal or not, what your insurers would say running tyres with speed rating under legal limit?

Cooper ST Pros for example with K rating 68mph. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #996256 14th Jun 2023 3:46pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Insurance is a different question and not one of if a vehicle is roadworthy and legal to drive on the road.
Post #996261 14th Jun 2023 4:28pm
kenzle8a

spudfan wrote:
There is a speed rating on all tyres and it is illegal to fit a tyre with a lower speed rating than your car's maximum speed. Any tyres fitted by Land Rover to the Defender have always had a higher speed rating than the vehicle was capable of .

Not true, you can fit a lower speed rating, most winter tyres are H rated for the oem fitment and the summer is v rated.

You can’t fit tyres with a lower load rating than originally specified, but load rating is very different from speed rating.
Post #996318 14th Jun 2023 10:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123