↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > commercial tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
There is a speed rating on all tyres and it is illegal to fit a tyre with a lower speed rating than your car's maximum speed. Any tyres fitted by Land Rover to the Defender have always had a higher speed rating than the vehicle was capable of . 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #996173 13th Jun 2023 5:49pm
RaenerPuma2007110

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Barolo Black
Ok that's good to know, thanks.

they have a load rating of E which means the tyre has a ply rating 10 and a load pressure of 80 psi.

so im back to the original question of whether to run them at 80, 60 or 34psi.
Post #996174 13th Jun 2023 5:55pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Lower them to 32/34 psi and you’ll be fine. The 80 is the tyre’s maximum limit for its maximum load rating.

A Land Rover is a commercial vehicle platform, it is designed to take LT tyres and indeed the ones you have were factory fitted. They will be absolutely fine.

Most garages, tyre shops and other similar places are generally incompetent or untrustworthy, or both, hence why most LR owners do their own maintenance as far as possible.
Post #996175 13th Jun 2023 5:57pm
RaenerPuma2007110

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Barolo Black
thank you
Post #996176 13th Jun 2023 6:01pm
Spruce Pirate

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Zambezi Silver
When I had a set of Mud Terrains fitted one of the fitters was very concerned that I knew they wouldn't be as grippy on tar as the ones coming off. I think he asked if I'd driven a car with MT's on it before. I pointed out that I had indeed done a few miles with MT's before and that while they are less grippy on tar in the wet, a) they're much grippier in the dirt than the road tyres they were replacing and, b) it's a Defender, it's not exactly getting pinged around corners at high speed. The other fitter more or less rolled his eyes at his colleague while this exchange was going on.

Point is, some people get very worried when something deviates from the norm and feel the need to point out that you might have left the normal path that they are used to travelling. Whether this is done out of genuine concern, an overly rigid adherence to the rule book or a misguided idea that they may somehow be found liable for your choices if something goes wrong probably differs case by case. Whatever the garage's motives in your case, at least now you are much better informed about which tyres you've got and their suitability for the vehicle. Dirty Deeds - Done Dirt Cheap
Post #996189 13th Jun 2023 9:15pm
spudfan

Ireland 

Click image to enlarge
 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #996194 13th Jun 2023 10:45pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Why do they make tires above M rating anyway? Track use?

The logic of any regulator would be that 130 kph is the max allowed speed in Europe.
Post #996203 14th Jun 2023 5:11am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
I suppose with that logic you would also ask why manufacturers produce cars capable of speeds above that limit.

I suppose it would be reckless to fit tyres that were not capable of performing to the same capacity as the rest of the vehicle.

When I am on a motorway I try and maintain the speed limit and I am often the one being overtaken. I certainly wouldn't want any of those passing me to have tyres not suited to the speed they were doing as if they do have a blowout there will be many more involved in the incident than just the ones exceeding the speed limit.

Also, how many times are you overtaken where you're first thoughts about the driver are "what a pr1ck!" And I don't mean that about people doing 80-85, but those doing 100+

On the other end of the scale, it does make me chuckle when I pass people doing around 55-60 in their very expensive and very capable cars in my little Seat ibiza or the Defender.
Post #996205 14th Jun 2023 6:55am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Same reason they make cars that go faster Rolling Eyes

Besides 130kph is not the max!
Post #996206 14th Jun 2023 6:56am
kenzle8a

TexasRover wrote:

The logic of any regulator would be that 130 kph is the max allowed speed in Europe.

The Germans would disagree Laughing
Post #996215 14th Jun 2023 8:52am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
RaenerPuma2007110 wrote:
just found this on the Protyre website:

"Fitting C and LT tyres on cars:
Fitting heavier van tyres on cars and small vans (assuming they fit) definitely isn’t recommended for two reasons.

First of all, C-type tyres may be designed to take a higher load, but they are also designed to travel at lower speeds. Most cars are driven too fast to drive on a C-type tyre, greatly increasing the risk of tyre failure.

Second, C and LT tyres are much heavier. All that extra weight will do nothing good for your engine or fuel efficiency"[/i]

it looks like I have commercial tyres, denoted by the (C), meant for a Van. The tyres have a different construction, hence the higher psi.

not sure what to do now...

I don't know where you found that info, but it doesn't sound very accurate or true.

All tyres have a speed rating, use this to determine if the tyre is suitable or not for higher speeds, not if it is LT or commercial.

No idea what is meant by 'will do nothing good for your engine'. Sounds like someone knowing nothing about vehicles. A Land Rover is capable of towing 3.5 tonne with a gross vehicle weight of around 3 tonne or so.

Even if you did 500,000 miles, commercial tyres would make no odds to the engine.

MPG "might' be effected, but is up for debate tbh. Considering alternative tyres might be All Terrains or Mud Terrains.
Post #996218 14th Jun 2023 9:32am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
spudfan wrote:
There is a speed rating on all tyres and it is illegal to fit a tyre with a lower speed rating than your car's maximum speed. Any tyres fitted by Land Rover to the Defender have always had a higher speed rating than the vehicle was capable of .

I don't think that is true at all, not all car makers publish top speeds. So you really wouldn't know.
Post #996219 14th Jun 2023 9:33am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
RaenerPuma2007110 wrote:
Ok that's good to know, thanks.

they have a load rating of E which means the tyre has a ply rating 10 and a load pressure of 80 psi.

so im back to the original question of whether to run them at 80, 60 or 34psi.

Maximum inflated pressures are not the same as what you'd normally want to run. On a 90 for general use 26-28psi all round is generally quite acceptable. If hauling or towing you might want more.
Post #996220 14th Jun 2023 9:34am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
TexasRover wrote:

Surely not serious....

1) There are places in the World with much higher or no speed limits
2) Cars can and are used in places that aren't the public roads
3) some vehicles can legally travel vastly quicker than the published speed limits
Post #996222 14th Jun 2023 9:38am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
No I was not serious.

Tires specs are a pet peeve for me. In fact I used to live in Norway and there the tire spec is listed on your registration document (V5 equivalent) and at your MOT they check. I recall it lists size, load rating and speed. I had a long (but futile) argument with an MOT tested because my set of winter tires was fitted on different size steel rims so the car failed the MOT. Refitting the summer tires would not be legal in the winter either. I normally did the MOT in summer, but was selling the car. I postponed the sale till after 01 April so I could legally fitted the 'correct tires' to pass the MOT.

It was a Volvo and the speed rating was something like 180 kph, with 110 being the legal speed limit and the car not making that speed in the factory spec.

All this stupidity when rules meet reality, as I said futile discussion.

As it happens the tire speed rating for (the real) defender seems to be set at 130 kph, which at least is realistic!
Post #996224 14th Jun 2023 9:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>