↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 1989 Ninety CSW - Update: 8 cylinders
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 17 of 19 <123 ... 16 171819>
Print this entire topic · 
trickster5000

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arles Blue
Actually not Procta - this one was completely opportune. It was parked up in a village I've never parked it in before, 2hrs later it was gone, makes it even more unbelievable really.

I've notified my insurance of the incident but not claiming as not worth it with excess and losing NCB etc. Will figure out how to get it home once it's released from the police compound and inspect the damage in more detail. Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #993742 23rd May 2023 9:16am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Its believable, some places you cannot really leave these alone for five mins, The current one i have, was looked at, by two chavs, in a sliver car, Which i suspect were the two that had a fiddle with a black 110, ( the owner of that one knocked on our door to ask if we had trouble afterwards) He said that they had came down the main road. So we do suspect that it was same arseholes or the two lads that checked mine out. But saying that its all on the rise again sadly, a few cars have gone walkies again around my area.
Like i say earlier, if you are going a defender anywhere, you need to have a removeable wheel sadly. So that it makes its that much harder.

Great that you don't need to claim on it, when i had to do. My insurance said we cannot do business with you next year sadly. So bare that in mind next year in case they decide to drop you. Thumbs Up

You could ask the police if they could bring the car to you? offer them a few quid as petty cash. Saves the hassle on you getting a recovery service to bring it back to you. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #994174 27th May 2023 2:25am
trickster5000

Got the car back now, predictable damage to the ignition barrel, steering column surround and brake pedal. Some additional damage to some wiring looms as no power to radio and charging ports etc Banging Head

The more surprising/concerning discovery was a small dent/scuff in the front diff casing and a chip in the paint on the front offside wheel rim with hefty scuff marks in the tyre so it seems like it's had a couple of whacks in it's stolen journey Mad Only found these marks while investigating a new squeal on that same wheel which sounds distinctly like an unhappy wheel bearing presumably as a result of that whack.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Will take it off the road for a bit now while I strip that hub down and give everything else a good check over and then figure out what I do next...

I can't deny the whole ordeal has taken a lot of the pleasure out of owning the car and I'm going to need to take some time to think about what I want to do with it now Sad Matt.

'89 90 CSW with a 3.5 V8 conversion (WIP) - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46809.html
Post #994247 27th May 2023 9:34pm
Cragster69

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Cairns Blue
Sad news, but really glad you've got her home.

I wonder if the damage to the wheel and axle are a result of them cutting the brake pedal and using a kerb or something to slow them down?

Did the forensics manage to find anything? Craig.

“Don't believe everything you read on the internet.” ― Abraham Lincoln

www.scotgrc.co.uk
Post #994253 27th May 2023 10:47pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
trickster5000 wrote:
Got the car back now, predictable damage to the ignition barrel, steering column surround and brake pedal. Some additional damage to some wiring looms as no power to radio and charging ports etc Banging Head

The more surprising/concerning discovery was a small dent/scuff in the front diff casing and a chip in the paint on the front offside wheel rim with hefty scuff marks in the tyre so it seems like it's had a couple of whacks in it's stolen journey Mad Only found these marks while investigating a new squeal on that same wheel which sounds distinctly like an unhappy wheel bearing presumably as a result of that whack.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Will take it off the road for a bit now while I strip that hub down and give everything else a good check over and then figure out what I do next...

I can't deny the whole ordeal has taken a lot of the pleasure out of owning the car and I'm going to need to take some time to think about what I want to do with it now Sad

from the looks of that, it sounds like they just stole it to feed they little jollies, Like they did with mine.
Please do not be disheartened about what's happened, After all you have blew a lot of time and hard work into rebuilding this into that Landy you wanted. I lost one, and i have come back a lot stronger. Also i know what its like to lose pleasure out of a project too, to the point i nearly chucked it all in.
12 years ago me and my dad did something very similar, but dropped a VVC engine into a rover metro, We had did some extensive welding to the body, and i had to replace the full cars electrical system and salvage parts from scrappies, and fork out a on donor car and an engine. We had put it all together, and my parents had gone a way on holiday, i managed to buy the last piece of the puzzle and that was £200 on a recore on a radiator. Anyway not long after the system was bled through, and i did some final touches etc. The engine died on me on tick over, turned out i was sold a bad one, that had the headgasket failure, and the head was tightened down to hide it, to the point they had damaged the vvc pickup ( £500 part) and chewed a head bolt, making the engine worthless to sort out. VVC engine was the same price as a VVC pickup cam. Me and my dad were that winded after all that, he just sat watching TV in disgust, i was highly wound up. I was practically on the verge of just saying to my dad sod it, drag it to the scrapyard and weigh it in. When i told the forum i was on, what had happened. Not one of them said Procta chuck the car etc. They said you have got this far with it and we have followed you with this, so you cannot back out of it now!! The lad who helped me diagnose it, managed to sort me out a replacement engine. Which was more powerful unit, So with in a week. Me and my dad managed to pull the project back online. Took another year of putting it back on the road. But we made a belter of a car. After what happened did put me off the car, but as soon as it passed its MOT and road worthy, that went away. We enjoyed every bit of it, and laughs we had. Thumbs Up So basically you will come back stronger, just put it down as bit of bad luck sadly like i did. with mine Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #994254 28th May 2023 12:50am
trickster5000

Cragster69 wrote:
Sad news, but really glad you've got her home.

I wonder if the damage to the wheel and axle are a result of them cutting the brake pedal and using a kerb or something to slow them down?

Did the forensics manage to find anything?

Definitely a possibility but the scuff in the tyre doesn't look to be one of a wheel that was in rotating motion as it's a largely straight line towards the centre of the wheel and with such large tyres it would take a serious knock to get up to chipping the paint on the rim.

Not heard anything from police re forensics but I don't hold out much hope - someone with this amount of experience stealing Land Rovers is not going to make the oversight of not wearing a pair of gloves... Matt.

Post #994294 28th May 2023 10:49am
Procta

United Kingdom 
I am not surprised you wont hear anything back, They will have got what ever, and tossed it on a file. Build a case against who ever, it is. That's about it, 9 times out of 10 nothing goes any further.

As for the whack and scuff, Christ knows what they have hit, when they have had their little jolly. I recon they may not have twigged its a V8, and its been to fast for them to handle.

How are you getting on sorting it out ? Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #995241 5th Jun 2023 7:54pm
trickster5000

Been cracking on with it recently, semi-dismantled and prepping for paint.

Same colour, full Paintman suite of paints, not taking it all back to bare metal but sanding re spray off to factory paint and then priming, undercoating and coach enamel top coat. Been doing all the sanding by hand so fairly lengthy process but there’s no rush as I can’t paint in these temperatures at the minute anyway.

Click image to enlarge

I’m planning to do the whole job on the driveway, not really got any painting experience but taking my time and doing lots of research, hopefully it turns out half decent.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And finally… an exciting crate from Exmoor! Was always the plan eventually and a fair saving in the Black Friday discount was enough to pull the trigger Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Hoping to get all the work tidied up and chucked on in time for some spring sun, I’ll be keeping this thread up to date with spraying progress Thumbs Up Matt.

Post #1021199 14th Jan 2024 8:09pm
L110CDL

England 
Thank you for the update and it's great to see you doing some work on the 90 and making good progress from what i can see in the pics Thumbs Up

Will look forward to the updates as and when they come Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1021327 15th Jan 2024 9:28pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great work! Keep it up Thumbs Up Bow down James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #1021415 16th Jan 2024 5:27pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Great to see Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1022091 21st Jan 2024 9:23pm
trickster5000

Cheers all Smile

Been plugging away at the prep/painting process as and when I can in the last few weeks. Finally got some paint on now, Paintman light grey primer followed by light blue undercoat. Pleased with how it’s gone on generally, seems to be a really good quality product and leaves a nice finish, also easy to work with as someone with minimal previous spraying experience. Have to say the undercoat is a much brighter colour than I was expecting, there will be a coat of hopefully less vibrant Arles blue going over the top!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Had the gazebo out this weekend to start putting primer on the main vehicle bodywork, slightly sub-optimal setup with the sides flapping about but getting the job done nonetheless.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Matt.

Post #1029978 31st Mar 2024 9:48pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great work!! Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #1029981 31st Mar 2024 10:07pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
that bonnet looks fantastic! Do a decent prep and your practically sorted really. Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1029994 1st Apr 2024 2:16am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Looking great already Thumbs Up 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1029999 1st Apr 2024 6:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 17 of 19 <123 ... 16 171819>