Home > Wheels & Tyres > Winter Tyre Time
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
ken wrote:
Dura Tracs are Mountain SnowFlake pom they are not M+S its a major differance

What's the difference in snow traction between an M+S (Mud and Snow) branded tyre, an all-season tyre and a purpose-built winter/snow tyre? While many drivers probably aren't absolutely sure, it can be the difference between getting to work, getting home and getting stuck.
The original definition of M+S tyres is based on the geometry of the tread design. The M+S designation was first used to differentiate the knobby, bias ply tyres intended for use on muddy and/or snow-covered roads from the straight rib tyres used on early cars or trucks. Tyres with tread designs that meet the definition may be branded with the letters "M" and "S" in several different ways (e.g., M&S, M+S, M/S, MS, etc.) at the discretion of the tyre manufacturer.
When early radial ply tyres were also found to deliver more snow traction than the straight rib, bias ply tyres, the tyre companies introduced all-season tyres. Supported by advertising, all-season tyres have presented an unspoken promise that they, throughout their life, can provide traction for all seasons...through spring's rain, summer's heat, fall's cooling and winter's snow. While this combined offering has made all-season tyres popular, many drivers have learned that a geometric definition doesn't guarantee winter snow and ice traction.
In 1999, The Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) agreed on a performance based standard to identify passenger and light truck tyres that attain a traction index equal to, or greater than 110 (compared to a reference tyre which is rated 100) during the specified American Society for Testing and Materials traction tests on packed snow. The new standard helps ensure that drivers can easily identify tyres that provide a higher level of snow traction.
A mountain/snowflake symbol branded on the tyre's sidewall identifies tyres that met the required performance in snow testing. The mountain/snowflake symbol is expected to be fully implemented on new tyres by now, however there still may be a few winter/snow tyres in the marketplace that meet the requirements but were produced in molds manufactured before the symbol was developed.
While dedicated winter/snow tyres bearing the mountain/snowflake symbol are available in sizes for most passenger cars and MPv’s,
Oh and this is a beaut
What If My Car Has All-Wheel Drive?
All-wheel drive is certainly an advantage...but its advantage can be multiplied by using winter tyres designed for the road conditions you'll encounter. While more tyres share the torque of your vehicle, think of the ice and snow performance that winter tyres provide. All of the reasons that encouraged you to select an all-wheel drive car are the same reasons that dedicated winter tyres will make your winter driving more enjoyable and enhance your car's braking, handling and cornering traits.
However, it is important to remember that while the all-wheel/four-wheel drive vehicle's ability to accelerate in slippery conditions provides a lot of confidence, it doesn't really offer any unique advantage when the vehicle has to stop or turn. This is because the other vehicles also use all four tyres to provide braking and cornering traction. Since four-wheel drive vehicles actually weigh more than their two-wheel drive counterparts, bringing them to a stop or turning a corner actually requires more traction.
So, whether your vehicle has anti-lock brakes, traction control, a vehicle stability system, four-wheel drive or all-wheel drive, it is your tyres that provide the real traction. Obviously, the more tyre traction these systems have to work with the better. Since most vehicles (including light trucks) are originally equipped with all-season tyres, optimising these systems' capabilities on snow and ice requires installing winter tyres.

Siped & Studable

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up

I'm liking the sound/look of them Cool - for now though until funds allow I'll have to stick with my GG TRs which incidentally performed fine last winter

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #92057 30th Sep 2011 6:56am
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Had a close look at my BFGs AT2s and they have the mountain snow flake on Rolling Eyes
Post #94547 16th Oct 2011 7:03pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Hi Mick Dont you mean General AT2 as yes they are "Winter Rated" BFG KO's on the other hand some are some arnt Confused
Post #94650 17th Oct 2011 6:38am
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
ken wrote:
Hi Mick Dont you mean General AT2 as yes they are "Winter Rated" BFG KO's on the other hand some are some arnt Confused

Those I got of you ken Thumbs Up
Post #94743 17th Oct 2011 7:16pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
ken wrote:

Interesting. I have 235s, they have the Mountain symbol. Which ones don't, is it subject to tyre width? BM52
Post #94752 17th Oct 2011 7:42pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
chatting at work today about winter/snow tyres and found this site ...

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125
Post #95089 19th Oct 2011 6:59pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
ken wrote:
You see no worries you have just hit the nail on the re winter tyres yes you defender will go well in the snow but stopping is a different matter . With winter tyres your ability to stop is vastly improved

Agreed! Our "Work" car is a Volvo xc70. I swap to winter tyres around bonfire night. We get lots of snow in Aviemore (it is a ski resort afterall Thumbs Up )

Being 4wd, the Volvo would get places most normal 2wd cars wouldn't anyway, but the real difference is...Stopping.

Last year I was in a line of cars (packed snow & ice) travelling on the A9 near Aviemore, a car at the front lost control and skeeted sideways. I could brake, steer, and drive almost normally, my biggest fear was being shunted up the rear...I'm sold on winter tyres now.

The Conti Crossmax AT are Mud & Snow rated, I will see how they go for now...I managed on AT2's last year with no issues on my Disco TD5. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #95109 19th Oct 2011 9:10pm
ken

United Kingdom 
bpman wrote:
chatting at work today about winter/snow tyres and found this site ...

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125

Tire being a American term but the principles are the same , they often get winter and snow tyres mixed up thou Big Cry
Post #95114 19th Oct 2011 9:31pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 
Interesting read, never tried the new Goodyear so can't comment, but I would rather go General AT2 in 265/75x16 and are a great fit on a 7x16 alloy and I know they work very well from experiance, also same as Goodyear with snowflake and studable and I bet a looooooooooooooooooot less money.

And for when it gets bad then you can always use proper chains. Thumbs Up Andy.

www.ajstyres.co.uk 01737 241370

Junction 8 M25 Surrey.
Post #97965 3rd Nov 2011 8:40pm
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
How much for a set of chains Andy? Oh and don't forget my pair of Goodyear Wrangler HPs for the D2!!
Post #99430 11th Nov 2011 9:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123