↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > My VCV Journey
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
My last order from them took nearly a month to come, but it was all good when it finally arrived. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #981009 2nd Feb 2023 7:47pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
hank wrote:
VCV arrived... This must be the fifth one I've had over the last couple of years and I have to be honest I've not seen one packaged like this before. This one comes with instructions and two 'alignment pins' to guide the VCV into position (seems overkill?)

The part number is LR009837G - does the G signify genuine?

The box does say DENSO CORPORATION on it so that is reassuring although it is just a printed sticker! There are no DENSO markings on the VCV itself

The "G" suffix does signify that it's genuine, they'r the same parts used when Land Rover was putting your truck together. "G" suffix parts, while being the exact same part, is cheaper compared to the exact same part that comes in a Land Rover box. If you are looking for parts other than LR ones, go for the "G" suffix ones
Post #981053 3rd Feb 2023 2:18am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Well no surprise it's been running a bit rough... Old VCV was in two parts Laughing

New one fitted, high pressure pump relearn done and the injector relearn for good measure - back to her old self with power picking up as soon as you're on the pedal

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #981497 6th Feb 2023 3:33pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Makes a world of difference doesn’t it once it’s changed over. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #981518 6th Feb 2023 5:41pm
Swim_Cap

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
I got mine from Bell Auto Services - no problem, and they also explain the learn procedure too Thumbs Up
Post #994104 26th May 2023 10:33am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
hank wrote:
Well no surprise it's been running a bit rough... Old VCV was in two parts Laughing

Extremely interesting but far from ideal! Glad you are sorted.
Post #994118 26th May 2023 12:48pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Lots of experience on this thread! Glad this helped a lot of people fix their (widely different symptoms!!!) issues...

Just two things from my side...
1. It's a very weak/fussy thing, hindered by bad diagnostics, so a faulty VCV can be a nightmare to diagnose...
2. It's a pain to get at, fiddly for those of us with big hands, and hence a knuckle-bleeding experience!

Happy VCV'ing guys Smile Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #994287 28th May 2023 10:15am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I think my own VCV is dieing for the 2nd time. Got a really rough idle and judderiness (it's a word!) at low revs when cold. This is disappointing as I've probably done only about 20k miles on the Denso one I fitted. I have a no-brand spare one in the garage, I might as well give that go given the premium one didn't last too long. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1022915 29th Jan 2024 2:46pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Am I right in thinking there isn’t a Genuine option, because LR want to sell the entire fuel pump with VCV included?
Much like the turbo assembly with actuator inc

I don’t even know what one mine was, it was from PF Jones, it came in a genuine Nissan parts box.
It works, it’s worked perfectly since and the PN was correct and that’s all I know.
Certainly don’t want refurb parts, they nearly always are trouble.

My old VCV, has scoring on it I seem to recall so it’s action wasn’t smooth as it should be.
It used more fuel than it should have, rough idle in particular when cold and Rev hunting when cold.
Some poor starting behaviour when cold and poor power output in top end gears such as 5th and 6th gear.
The final death knell was cutting out minutes after starting, or elsewhere multiple times when cold but seemed better when warm.
The cutting out issues, usually when revs lowered at say a junction when about to pull out which of course becomes dangerous, but would restart.

But the lack of power in top end gears and cutting out are guaranteed signs to look out for, followed by poor starting or rough cold idle.

You can for example be climbing an incline at speed in 6th, or 5th and find you have to drop back a gear.

These are the things that I observed with a failing VCV.

I m 99% sure that it was fuel with some water contamination in it that finished it off.
I had visited an independent fuel station that I don’t often use and only did just the once, a day or two before I had severe issues with it cutting out multiple times just as that fuel would have been coming through.
Needless to say, I never did use that place again but my guess is ancient fuel tanks underground letting in water. Rolling Eyes
The place I now use, used to be Esso, now Asda. The fuel is fine, but I do know the underground tanks are only a few years old and pretty much brand new. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1022928 29th Jan 2024 5:55pm
blackwolf

It has always been possible to buy the VCV on its own from LR but it's always been a pricey approach. I have always bought them from my local Ford main dealer which is less pricey (marginally) but consistent OE quality.
Post #1022932 29th Jan 2024 6:10pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Do you happen to have the P/N Blackwolf? Just out of curiosity. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1022935 29th Jan 2024 6:39pm
blackwolf

Land-Rover PN or Ford PN?
Post #1022939 29th Jan 2024 7:54pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Both if possible. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1022943 29th Jan 2024 8:13pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
blackwolf wrote:
It has always been possible to buy the VCV on its own from LR but it's always been a pricey approach. I have always bought them from my local Ford main dealer which is less pricey (marginally) but consistent OE quality.

In these parts, the Ford dealers do not even know what a VCV is and would rather sell you the entire pump instead. Plus, apparently they never had any 2.4 Tdci engines here only the 2.2 Tdci on the Rangers and Everests.
Post #1022984 30th Jan 2024 3:25am
custom90

United Kingdom 
I haven’t ever found Ford easy to deal with either, the one place that was good for Ford parts I did use closed. Rolling Eyes Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1022998 30th Jan 2024 10:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>