Home > Tdi > Downpipe resting on crossmember
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Downpipe resting on crossmember

Click image to enlarge

Trying to diagnose the vibration in my 92 200tdi 110 at tickover. I have noticed that the downpipe is hard up against the gearbox crossmember which, to my mind, does not give the engine mounts much chance to do their job and may be contributing to the issue.

There is no more adjustment in the crossmember to create clearance.

Feels like my options are to create a bend in the downpipe or modify the crossmember to make clearance.

Any other suggestions? I am assuming that there should be decent clearance between these two parts.

Cheers.
Post #993860 24th May 2023 11:41am
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Aftermarket chassis? Have you got the exhaust mount on the side of the gearbox fitted?
Post #993861 24th May 2023 11:45am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
It is not uncommon for the exhaust to engine block bracket to shear in two and allowing the down pipe to drop down the manifold exit. I had this a few times on my 200tdi.

There should be a mount to the engine block and the clamp holding the exhaust to the manifold.
Post #993863 24th May 2023 11:50am
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
It is an aftermarket chassis. The pipe to block bracket is not connected either. It is tight up against the top of the manifold though, hasn't slipped down.

The gearbox mounts look a little soft and perished.

I am going to remove the rear section of the exhaust and loosen the manifold bracket and see if there is any play / adjustment to be had. And see if putting a jack under the gearbox and lifting it slightly helps at all.

Thanks
Post #993886 24th May 2023 2:33pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
NickMc wrote:
Aftermarket chassis? Have you got the exhaust mount on the side of the gearbox fitted?

Good call I just noticed the ARB mount ion the photo Thumbs Up
Post #993889 24th May 2023 2:54pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
bodstruck wrote:
It is an aftermarket chassis. The pipe to block bracket is not connected either. It is tight up against the top of the manifold though, hasn't slipped down.

The gearbox mounts look a little soft and perished.

I am going to remove the rear section of the exhaust and loosen the manifold bracket and see if there is any play / adjustment to be had. And see if putting a jack under the gearbox and lifting it slightly helps at all.

Thanks

Check your engine mounts have not collapsed either. If all looks good trimming the exhaust down by 10-20mm would probably sort the problem out.
Post #993891 24th May 2023 2:55pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I see 2 problems:

1. The genuine gearbox cross member, the pipe is welded lower, so that the ends of the pipe are partially open.

2. The exhaust section between the downpipe and the central box should bend upwards and then downwards again, that is it higher over the crossmember and closer to the bellhousing. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #993900 24th May 2023 4:24pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
geobloke wrote:
It is not uncommon for the exhaust to engine block bracket to shear in two and allowing the down pipe to drop down the manifold exit. I had this a few times on my 200tdi.

There should be a mount to the engine block and the clamp holding the exhaust to the manifold.

Mine used to do this also... the little tab on the downpipe that corresponded with an M8 thread cast into the block, has a short bolt that located it (which was always a royal PITA to get lined up), the tab would snap off then the downpipe would slide down the exhaust "tube" off of the turbo.
Post #993903 24th May 2023 5:16pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
I had a 200tdi and the engine mount bracket was a PITA. I seem to remember having to re-weld the mounting tabs after they fractured????

As has already been said, make sure the exhaust is fully pushed home on the turbo and clamped tight with the engine mount bolts correctly in place. Unless you have a god awful alignment issue with aftermarket exhaust pipes and aftermarket chassis then it is just a case of optimising the alignment to give clearance. It does fit, just get it right.......
Post #994922 2nd Jun 2023 10:53pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
Thanks all.

I suspect it is a combination of issues. The shielded chassis won't be the best, the downpipe was a cheap ebay job and the engine and box mounts are poor.

The pipe is hard up against the turbo so no space to be gained there.

I will look at the mounts more closely and if nothing to be gained there see if I can trim some off the top of the downpipe.
Post #994949 3rd Jun 2023 9:27am
Procta

United Kingdom 
I often wonder if its a 200TDI thing, because my dads vibrates like hell, i think it could be a design flaw in the down pipe with it been solid fitted to the engine block. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #999265 8th Jul 2023 8:02pm
Dukeofastley

United Kingdom 
Hi - I had exactly this issue.

I took the crossmember off and cut a scoop out of it .

Hopefully photo attached .

Andrew

Click image to enlarge
Post #1001521 24th Jul 2023 12:18pm
bodstruck

United Kingdom 
I did contemplate that as an option. My welding is not good enough so I'd have to get that done though. Bit of a shame on the galv chassis as well.

I am going to try the simple things first, once I get my mojo back. I have replacement gearbox mounts and I'll also try cutting a bit off the top where it meets the manifold.

If that does not help, on to more drastic measures.
Post #1001585 24th Jul 2023 6:44pm
Dukeofastley

United Kingdom 
Yes. I know what you mean about the galv chassis. I had the same thoughts but I had no option. I used galv spray after it was all welded up and it looks a treat. You would never know.
Post #1001593 24th Jul 2023 7:21pm
Hazza

United Kingdom 1990 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bronze Green
I had a similar issue (pre Td5-swap), the cheap downpipe I'd bought was longer at the top (where it mounts to the turbo) than the original, meaning it then hung too low for the block bracket and also clashed with the crossmember.

I ended up trimming it down which solved the issue. 1990 Defender 110 200TDI Camper - now converted to Td5 power
Post #1002016 27th Jul 2023 2:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>