↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > New Suspension - Alive Comfort + Fox versus Urban + Bilstein
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Bazarre13

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Indus Silver
A quick update on progress.

Huge thanks to Jem_90 for reaching out and the Fox shocks, invaluable advice and sharing of your experience. Sincerely appreciated and great to meet you and blue_baltic and the children. Being in a Defender that handles well and has more power compared to mine has certainly given me a solid reference point and learnt a lot about my own car too!

My better half is fully onboard with handling and performance improvements (massive win).

Now on to the springs and ARB.

Straying from the theme now, Stage 1/2 tuning to be decided whether Alive, BAS, IRB or Empire but tending to Empire given they are closest me and SW London with a sale on at the moment for Stage 1.

Cheers Bazarre13
Learning to live with a Defender in London
MY2016 110 XS SW Black Pack in Indus Grey
Post #990040 23rd Apr 2023 11:28am
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
My personal view is that you get the very best results from a remap when the truck is put on a dyno and the map can be tweaked to your individual engine and needs. Do all the remappers you mention have dynos?

Alive did this when they did my original remap and it'll be an essential part of the setup of the GTB450 (which is scheduled for next month along with the spring and shock upgrade Very Happy)

I'm still undecided on shocks though! TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #990050 23rd Apr 2023 12:42pm
Bazarre13

Thanks andy2111 and it certainly looks like Empire do have a dyno as part of the tuning, at least photos on the website depict one. Have reached out to Empire and will confirm.

I believe from BAS’ website they do too but could be wrong - description of the remap seemed the most comprehensive of them all though.

Cheers Bazarre13
Post #990075 23rd Apr 2023 5:32pm
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Dropped my truck off at Alive yesterday and discussed the springs/shocks options again.

Both guys said Fox was the wrong choice for me (110 HT with poptop) as they would be too soft for the weight I carry when on holiday. We debated Bilstein versus Alive's new shocks and I went for Alive given they are slightly softer than Bilstein and will be a bit better when the truck is empty.

I'm going for road spec springs, so 1" lower, and also spring isolators which will add a little height back to the front. This will reverse the current 2" lift and hopefully mean I can get the truck under a few more parking barriers

Also having Bilstein steering damper and front ARB fitted.

And then there's the GTB 450 and dyno tune... looking forward to collecting it next week! TD5 hardtop to Puma inspired Poptop - my build thread

2002 110 TD5 Hardtop ¦ Full Puma interior ¦ Carpathian grey / Santorini black ¦ X-Vision-X poptop
Post #992078 10th May 2023 1:44pm
Bazarre13

Great to hear andy2111. Intrigued to see how the changes feel in due course.

It’s a big week for mine too as it’s in having the Alive standard height comforts, ARB and the Foxes. Isolators on front (Gwyn Lewis) and rear (OME). Alive intercooler and hoses going in too with ITG filter (will try and de-oil per LRA comments) and Alive remap this weekend. Looking forward to feeling the difference myself and will report back, particularly on the Foxes as rooftent is on at the moment.

Terrafirma tow rated NAS receiver step going on and Flatdog Spectre look DRL and winch bumper arriving today to go on with A bar (?) in place of ARB deluxe steel bull bar with Warn M9000 winch (which needs reconditioning) and then winch goes back on to the new bumper. That should take off a chunk of weight for the better; looks (to me), fuel economy and suspension with the Foxes.

I hadn’t realised the dyno was additional cost with Alive either. UK Defenders in Kent doing the Alive remap and am booking in with head office for dyno when passing their way.

Weirdly visited during the install today and rear is now sitting higher I think and I had a 2” lift before! Will see how they settle.

Will also post some before and after photos and better get to setting up a page for mine (Gandy).

Cheers all Bazarre13
Post #992091 10th May 2023 2:59pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I changed my OEM for

Bilstein B6
Uprated ARB
Polybush kit all round
Upgraded steering damper.

It was better than the old stuff, but I think new of anything would have been (100k miles by then)

Probably the most noticeable change was from OEM continental tyres (that had done over 50k on) to new tyres, 265/75R16 Falken AT3,

With all the above its good, I have a selection of other cars so hard to say its night and day, If I want it to feel like a Rolls, I take the old Series out and the Puma feels great.

However if I take a car out that rides on Air bags the 110 feels clunky....

I'm happy with how it rides now, given what it is.(a farm truck) Thumbs Up
Post #992093 10th May 2023 3:10pm
Bazarre13

Thanks stacey007, heartening to read and have tried to moderate wife’s expectations from being too high.

Forgot the full superpro bushes and Gwyn Lewis suspension bolt kit and gal turrets/retainers and seats were also going in.

No wonder my garage is keeping it overnight - think my expectations were too high on that front! Bazarre13
Post #992105 10th May 2023 4:12pm
Bazarre13

Quick update.

Now the Alive Stage 2 remap is done (thanks Alive and UK Defenders in Kent) with their intercooler, hoses and ITG filter (thanks Hearn Bros) immediately noticed far better acceleration in traffic and much smoother when pulling away slowly - no kangaroo hops.

Coupled with the superpro bushes throughout, front and rear spring isolators, Fox 2.0s, Alive standard height comforts and Alive ARB the ride and body roll is hugely better and gives me a lot more confidence and most importantly my wife too with a lot more comfort.

Not sure on Forum etiquette so may start a separate thread (if most appropriate?) but now have a concern with backlash. Already has single piece genuine rear half shafts and there is a big (to me) movement when both rear wheels off the ground and spinning one wheel then changing directions in neutral. I’d guess around 5 degrees, if that makes sense? I have pretty strong grip and can feel no movement whatsoever in the prop shaft or UJs into rear diff.

I’m assuming from what I’ve read on this forum that will need to diagnose the half shaft splines into diff, the diff itself through to dreaded output shaft? The ‘clunk’ I hear when spinning wheels as above is definitely in rear axle?

As ever experienced insights most welcome and my concern is almost paranoia at the moment as heading from London to Scotland next week for 2weeks and NC500!!

Thanks all Bazarre13
Post #994069 26th May 2023 7:08am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I think some clunk is normal but if you decide it is the diff I can recommend you go Ashcroft ATB DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #994074 26th May 2023 7:42am
ashcurrie

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Santorini Black
Also worth checking the condition of your bushes at the rear and the A-frame ball joint. 1992 Defender 90 SW 200Tdi
2008 Defender 110 USW
Post #994080 26th May 2023 8:15am
ashcurrie

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Santorini Black
Sorry just reread you have SuperPro bushes throughout so should be all good 👍 1992 Defender 90 SW 200Tdi
2008 Defender 110 USW
Post #994082 26th May 2023 8:17am
Bazarre13

Thanks gents.

There remains a lot about the car I don’t know e.g. bought it with a Nakatanenga dash extension and 1 of the switches is for Air Diff Lock (another for onboard ARB air compressor) and then found a brochure from Ashcroft among various papers found in the car.

Haven’t had the time to investigate other than emailing Ashcroft who advised send them a picture of pump (I think) on the diff which I haven’t gotten around to.

Do I assume that the diff with the air locker is the rear one? Assume if that is the clunking issue more significant costs involved?

Apologies for probably silly questions and am spending hours under and in car educating myself ….

Thanks again Bazarre13
Post #994245 27th May 2023 9:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12